Great summer reading for kids - got any suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have an 11-year-old and a 4-year-old. I would be reading to the 4-year-old. The 11-year-old mainly reads YA books but she reads a LOT and would be happy with any other suggestions. Plus it would be nice to give suggestions for everyone at Mothering.

My 4-year-old doesn't sit still so I haven't read her chapter books but I might start with that this summer. I'm not sure just how it will go.

But some favorites here are:

Wind In the Willows
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Mouse and the Motorcycle books

Or really anything by Beverly Cleary. In fact, my girls have a similar age spread as Beezus and Ramona. I might start with one of those books.

Add your favorites!
#2 of 9 Old 06-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may give you some ideas. http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1384447/chapter-book-recommendations-reading-to-5-year-old-boy#post_17374566

We should have a reading list that is always available to be referenced.
#3 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Swallows and Amazons and the other books by Arthur Ransome about summertime and messing about on boats!! 

#4 of 9 Old 06-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

What are some of your 11 yr olds favorites? If she hasn't read the Penderwick books she might really like those. Four girls and their dad — oldest girl is about 14 and youngest is 4.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#5 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had to google "Penderwick" but those books look really good!

I'll have to show her the Ransome books and see what she thinks.

It's hard because she and I have different tastes. I loved Harry Potter but she didn't like them at all. It's hard to guess what she'll like.
#6 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 07:48 PM

They are really good. My girls loved them.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

#7 of 9 Old 06-06-2013, 08:00 PM

If she likes more true to life fiction rather than fantasy she might like the "Sisters Club" series by Megan McDonald. My girls really liked Lauren Myracle's series about a girl named "Winnie", too. The first one is "Ten", followed by "Eleven" (which I think was actually the first one she wrote, and "Ten" was sort of a prequel), "Twelve", "Thirteen" and "Thirteen Plus One". They're pretty easy reads, but my girls liked them. My younger one especially loved them, but she likes realistic fiction more than my 12 yr old, who loves fantasy. Also in the realistic fiction category, she might like the series that starts with "Saffy's Angel" by Hilary McKay. It's a true-to-life story about an eccentric English family with 4 kids and two artist parents. Both my dds really loved this one.

If she likes fantasies, sci-fi/dystopian, manga, etc, post back and I can give some suggestions on those genres. My dds are not much into romance and are not huge mystery fans unless there's another element to the story also, but other than that they like a wide variety of middle grade and some YA stuff. A lot of the YA stuff gets a little too romancy for them. (Not Twilight fans, thank goodness.)

#8 of 9 Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

My kids range from 7-13 right now.  They all read independently but love to listen to a story too.  Recently read that they have enjoyed are the Betsy-Tacy books by Lovelace (series starts when Betsy is 6 and goes on until she marries), Mysterious Benedict Society (just the two older girls were interested), Understood Betsy, and The Penderwicks.

I love Sharon Creech for the 10-14 yr olds -- my favorites are Walk Two Moons and Bloomability.  My dds won't read Walk Two Moons because they know that it is a bit sad.  They currently refuse to read "sad" books.  Creech also wrote Absolutely Normal Chaos which I thought was fun.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 9 Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

My 12 yr old and I are reading "Abarat" its a 3 part series and honestly I don't know if I like the story more or the artwork in the book more.  This one you need the actual book, not the kindle edition.. the artwork doesn't show in the e-books.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Tags
Media , Childrens Books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page