What's the best book you've read this year? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also recomend A Summer to Die

Another favorite from this summer is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. We put it on our 10th grade summer reading list and it was a huge hit. Many of the moms read it too, and I got lots of great feedback at back to school night. My 12 year old has read it 5 times.

#62 of 69 Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

The best book I've read in the last year (and really the best book I've read in the last 10 years) is Zen Under Fire by Marianne Elliott. I absolutely love the book and really can't say enough good things about it. I was so impressed by the combination of a very intimate and easy to relate to narrative of one’s relationship with oneself and others and the impacts of both stress and self-care with a narrative of peacekeeping in Afghanistan. I really appreciated the discussion of what it means to do good and create change in an environment of war, and how much it brought up for me about breaking boundaries and making human connections. I've recommended the book to several family members and friends (who have a variety of tastes) and all of them have found it interesting and many have said that they loved it.

hola.gif

I just saw this today in a magazine while browsing Barnes n Noble. It looks like a great book. Our library doesn't own it yet. Does it contain anything that could be triggering? violence?

Apologies for not replying to this question sooner! The book does discuss some war-related violence events and some instances of violence against individual women; these are discussed from the perspective of someone trying to help. I personally did not find the book triggering, but I did find some parts of it very sad; that said, it's been my experience that what's not triggering to one person might be triggering to another. So I while I still recommend the book, it's good to know going into it that the book doing discuss some tough topics and might be triggering for some. HTH! :)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#63 of 69 Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM

Well now that summer is officially over, I have a few more books I had to come on here and recommend...

The Divergent series was very good. Rivals Hunger Games though I thought the chacters were better in HG. Veronica Roth is the author.

The Maze Runner series by James Dashner was also fantastic and a total page turner! I became obsessed with the world he created and was sad when it ended. Though the 3rd book wasn't great, the first one was fantastic.

Now reading Enders Game and liking it a lot though it isn't a page turner. I also started the secret circle books for a light read and found them SO pretentious. So now looking for another series that'll take my mind off the never ending sleep deprivation of the newborn stage.

geek.gif Mama + superhero.gifDaddy +energy.gifDD (12/20/09) = heartbeat.gif

Expecting stork-girl.gif #2 in September!

#64 of 69 Old 10-16-2013, 08:20 AM

I'm reading Freakonomics now, I've been a fan of Dubner & Levitt for years but I had only read the sequel, Superfreakonomics, and listened to every podcast.  I finally am reading the original book!  It's awesome, and the section in the second half about what the data says, as an economist interprets it, that the effect of parenting actually has on kids is truly thought provoking.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#65 of 69 Old 10-26-2013, 05:14 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

This is tough.  I read "Orphan Train" http://www.amazon.com/Orphan-Train-A-Novel-ebook/dp/B0089LOG02/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382832758&sr=1-1&keywords=orphan+train over the summer and it still is 'with me'.  Regardless of how well a book is written, if it stays with me, I usually think of it as rather good.  I also recently read "Counting by 7s".  http://www.amazon.com/Counting-by-7s-ebook/dp/B007FEF8E2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382832795&sr=1-1&keywords=counting+by+7s  This is also very good, but it is a children's book for 10 - 14 year olds (imo).  I really liked it though.  :-)

I read quite a bit, but so far those two are "stand out reads" for the year. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#66 of 69 Old 10-27-2013, 01:17 PM

I didn't get to finish it, but Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is amazing. I read that book to prepare for my natural birth and it truly helped me. The stories of others' births is just beautiful! 

I wish I could find more time to read now! With a six month old though, it's hard.

Sasha

Sasha 

#67 of 69 Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 PM
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMushyMommy View Post

I didn't get to finish it, but Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth is amazing. I read that book to prepare for my natural birth and it truly helped me. The stories of others' births is just beautiful! 

I wish I could find more time to read now! With a six month old though, it's hard.

Sasha

I agree, her book is awesome!

Amy

#68 of 69 Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 AM

I also read that this year and Peggy Simkin's birthing from within. Excellent birth books.

nak.gif Relentless mommy of 2 mancubs, 8 & 10 years old.... and now a little lady (Oct 2013)!      computergeek2.gif   http://relentlessmommy.com   
#69 of 69 Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM
AAK

I just finished "The Loop" and it was a quick, very entertaining read.  It is a YA book, published this year, hear is the link:  http://www.amazon.com/Loop-Shandy-Lawson-ebook/dp/B00BNMAT3M/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385430906&sr=1-2&keywords=the+loop

Amy

Tags
Education Books , Parenting Books , Book Clubs , Media

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page