Read aloud books for ages 6-12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are camping for 7 weeks and at night we like to read aloud in the tent before sleeping. In the past my youngest two (just turned 6) would fall asleep so quickly it didn't matter if the book held their interest. Now they last long enough to be annoyed they don't understand what is happening and ask a zillion questions.

Any books/series that could be understood, even slightly, by 6 year olds, but would still be of interest to a 10 year old and 12 year old? In the past I've read all the Roald Dahl books. Then we did part of Harry Potter until it got too confusing for the (then) 7 year old. We also did the cricket in times square series (yes, it is a series, but there is a reason people don't know the other books!)

Survival, backwoods, families surviving the elements type stories?

Fantasy stuff not so appealing.

Thanks!

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#2 of 3 Old 07-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall is a lovely, easy-to-follow series and appeals to a fairly wide range of ages. My Dd was re-reading them well into her teens. She has a nostalgic streak though, so your older dc may be different. 

Edward Eager books (Half Magic etc.) have a fantasy element but since they are mostly about typical kids stumbling across some magic they may still appeal. I think they are much closer to Roald Dahl than they are to Harry Potter or His Dark Materials in terms of how much magic and fantasy they offer. 

The Bunnicula series by James Howe is another funny, slightly fantasy-oriented (about a vampire bunny after all) but not steeped in wizards and dragons and so on. 

Books by Eva Ibbotson (Journey to the River Sea, The Star of Kazan) are wonderful. Not a series, but similar in flavour to each other, about plucky girls who overcome obstacles and conflicts. 

The Casson family books (Saffy's Angel, Indigo's Star, Permanent Rose and others) by Hillary McKay are about a wonderful, wacky, artsy family but they also touch on aspects of growing up with great sensitivity and lovely humour. 

Owls in the Family and The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, Farley Mowat

Survival stories: 

My Side of the Mountain, Jean Craighead George

Hatchet (and sequels), Gary Paulsen

The Birchbark House, Louise Erdrich (caution, there is a sad death scene)

Island of the Blue Dolphins, Scott O'Dell (also caution about deaths)

Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Speare

Alone on a Wide, Wide Sea (some scenes may be distressing to a sensitive 6 y.o.), Michael Morpurgo

#3 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyoxenfree View Post

[

Books by Eva Ibbotson (Journey to the River Sea, The Star of Kazan) are wonderful. Not a series, but similar in flavour to each other, about plucky girls who overcome obstacles and conflicts. 

The Casson family books (Saffy's Angel, Indigo's Star, Permanent Rose and others) by Hillary McKay are about a wonderful, wacky, artsy family but they also touch on aspects of growing up with great sensitivity and lovely humour. 

Owls in the Family and The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, Farley Mowat

Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Speare
Alone on a Wide, Wide Sea (some scenes may be distressing to a sensitive 6 y.o.), Michael Morpurgo
[/quote

Thanks. The ones above we've not read or even heard of some. I'll check them out.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Tags
Education Books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page