Historical Fiction Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I love Philippa Gregory's historical novels about the various British royal dynasties. I just finished The White Princess and it only came out last week. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar series? I've tried reading Alison Weir, but it's just not as engaging. And I'm not looking for historical romances - just not into the one handed reads. But if anyone knows of any other authors in this genre I should check out, that would be great! 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I love Elizabeth Goudge. She's not contemporary - she wrote, I dunno, in the 1940s? A lot of her books are historical, and she has the most delightfully whimsical humour. She has a keen insight into human nature - a wee bit Austen, a wee bit Dickens - and she writes children SO well. Every time I reread one of her books I'm surprised she's not more famous. She's one of my favourites.

So, let me think:

Towers in the Mist is set in Oxford in the Renaissance - Sir Philip Sidney comes into it. It's not about famous historical figures or events, it's about a family, but it has a historical backdrop and she really knows her stuff.

The Dean's Watch is another good one, and A City of Bells - can't remember when they're set exactly. 1800s? The Herb of Grace is post-war. Green Dolphin Country is set in colonial New Zealand and in Jersey (and is awesomely melodramatic!)

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll have to check her out! I am so desperate for something good to read. Everything I've picked up lately has been so lackluster. I feel lost if I'm not engrossed in a good book. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Switch to Game of Thrones, perhaps. It's really based on a great deal of research into the Middle Ages, so it's historical-ish.

#5 of 8 Old 08-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This isn't about Royalty, but check out anything by Kate Morton. Her books are historical and very very good.
#6 of 8 Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

These are very different from Philippa Gregory, but check out Priscilla Royal and Oliver Potzsch.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

When I first saw Philippa Gregory, I was thinking of Philippa Carr which was one of the many pen names of Eleanor Hibbert who also wrote as Victoria Holt and Jean Plaidy. She wrote a some series based on royal families like the Tudors, Marie Antoinette, Queen Victoria, etc.  I've never read Philippa Gregory or Alison Weir, so I have no idea how they compare.  There is also Barbara Tuchman who wrote some medieval stuff, and then Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End which I found engrossing, although World Without End was a little too violent for me. Bernard Cornwell has written a number of historical series too, but I don't know how good they are.  I was trying to read one of his books, but I hate when there are completely nefarious characters, which this one seemed to have. My husband bought a few of his books from the Sharpe series, hoping to find something that was like Patrick O'Brian, but these did not do the trick.  I thought they were fine, but not deep.

#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to check out of these recommendations. Though at the moment I shouldn't even be on here - I have tomatoes waiting to get canned, or a weeknight after work, no less. Off I go for now, but I'll let you know how I like them when I get a chance to read a few. 

Tags
Book Clubs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page