Best movies ever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

What are the 'best movies ever' to you?  I looked up several lists and must say that I was disappointed.  Perhaps I shouldn't have used such a large time frame, but so many of the movies were not that great IMO.  What I am really going for is a small list of movies that are culturally significant, or top notch (I realize that those are two different things).  I want to make a "must see" list for my girls--even though I realize that they likely wouldn't be allowed to see them all yet.  Kinda like I have books that I feel are a "must read" for them.  

What would you put on the list?  (for either concept:  culturally significant OR Top notch)

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Sorry, not a small list.  But I have seen all the movies on this list and most of the ones listed with the actors.  That's why these come to mind.

For me, the litmus test of "culturally significant" is when other movies and media reference it for decades after.  With that definition in mind, Casablanca and Gone With the Wind absolutely top this list, as are most Humphrey Bogart movies, especially The Maltese Falcon and Treasure of the Sierra Madre (remember the Simpson's episode where Bart and his friends go in together on one single comic book?)  

Also in this category:

Gold Rush (Charlie Chaplin),

It's A Wonderful Life, 

The Wizard of Oz, 

A Streetcar Named Desire,

Rebel Without a Cause,

Double Indemnity,

Goldfinger (and other Bond movies of the '60s and early 70's) 

West Side Story 

ETA:  Eeek!  How could  I forget Psycho?  Or The Birds and other Hitchcock movies?  Dirty Harry and other Clint Eastwood movies?  Music is referenced a lot as well, and to this purpose you can add Chariots of Fire  and Deliverance (two guys, sitting in the woods, hear "Dueling Banjos" and, after a meaningful look, tear off running) --as well as others already on this list.  

The Godfather,

2010: A Space Odyssey,

The Exorcist, 

Scarface,

Jaws,

Close Encounters of the Third Kind,

Rocky  

Star Wars,

The Shining, 

ET,

Terminator

Goodfellas and

Pulp Fiction

Forrest Gump  also belong on this list.  (Note the lack of contemporary movies: that is my fault as I haven't seen many movies since dd1 was born, but also I think it takes time to see whether a movie is simply referenced because it is popular in the moment or in the long term.) Blockbusters often make it on this list because their influence is broad, but just because they are popular, doesn't mean they aren't forgettable in the long run.

A few actors themselves are referenced over and over again (though, interestingly, not so much actresses):  Humphrey Bogart, Jack Nicholson, James Dean are the Titans of this crowd.  Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro.  Now you can add East of Eden, Splendor in the Grass, Dog Day Afternoon (a favorite of mine), Serpico, Five Easy Pieces, The Wild One......  

Another category of "culturally significant" are movies that changed the style of the movies that followed.  Pulp Fiction (already mentioned) comes to mind.  Blair Witch Project.  Avatar (because of the 3D technology).  Others in the list above make this list.

Don't discount generationally popular and referenced movies.  Easy Rider.  Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  Weird Science.  Elvis Presley movies.  You'd really have to ask others what the flagship movies of their day were.

You could make another category for arthouse movies and movies based off literature, but while those movies can be good, they don't necessarily fit into my definition of "culturally significant", but that's just my definition.  

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing a whole slew of movies, even glaringly obvious ones.  All are worth watching, and not just so you can "get the joke".  I have my favorites, which become so because I can watch them over and over: Howard's End, The Usual Suspects, The Princess Bride, Donnie Darko, Dog Day Afternoon amongst them.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Great list SweetSilver! 

I also have 

Miracle on 34th Street (b/w version)

Sound of Music

and a couple that I can't think of the name. . . ugh that is frustrating!  

I agree that when a movie is frequently referenced well after its initial popularity, it becomes culturally significant.

Also, to me, Top Gun, When Harry Met Sally, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Help, I Married an Axe Murderer are important to view.  Perhaps because of family culture--I don't know, I just know that I want my kids to watch these when they are ready for them.  Also, The Wedding Singer.  Again, it probably won't ever be on a greatest movie list, but in our house it is a movie that dh and I both love.  For that reason alone, it will probably be watched by our children eventually.  Dh and I don't have a great overlap of movies we love. 

Amy

ETA:  An Officer and a Gentleman (one that I couldn't remember the name)

Footloose

Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Officer and a Gentleman!  Of course!  

From Here to Eternity

My Fair Lady 

Oklahoma!

And completely forgot John Wayne!  Although my favorite of his wasn't a Western, but was The Silent Man, which was itself referenced in the movie ET.  (That was the movie ET was watching on TV while drunk, with Elliott at school freeing the frogs, and kissing a girl in the same way that John Wayne kissed Maureen O'Hara).

I nearly forgot: Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Piano, two of my favorite romances.

I'm sure I'll be remembering more in the days to come.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 10-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Officer and a Gentleman!  Of course!  

From Here to Eternity

My Fair Lady 

Oklahoma!

And completely forgot John Wayne!  Although my favorite of his wasn't a Western, but was The Silent Man, which was itself referenced in the movie ET.  (That was the movie ET was watching on TV while drunk, with Elliott at school freeing the frogs, and kissing a girl in the same way that John Wayne kissed Maureen O'Hara).

I nearly forgot some personal favorites: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Harold and Maude and The Piano, three of my favorite romances.  Camelot.  Paint Your Wagon,  which is a fun movie anyhow, and a favorite of high school drama programs, but it's also fun to see Clint Eastwood crooning a love song "I talk to the trees.... and while they're listening to me....." and of course, the fabulous Lee Marvin (The Dirty Dozen, another good one for the list.)  Blade Runner.  Alien.  National Lampoon's Vacation.

I'm sure I'll be remembering more in the days to come.

Old 10-18-2013, 09:19 PM

....AIRPLANE!

Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

....AIRPLANE!

Haha, my dh loves this movie!

Tags
Media
User Tag List