Late to the Game: Game of Thrones question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

I am finally reading GOT.  Halfway through the first book.  Dying to reserve the first season from the library.  I wanted to know 1. How closely the series follows the books and 2. If I want to read ahead of the TV series, how far should I read before I can get to that first season?  Eagerly awaiting.  Having a great read in the meantime. 

Thanks in advance!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

If no one else answers, I'll ask my husband in the morning.  He's read the books and watched the show to the current point. :)

#3 of 6 Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The series is very close to the book. There are the odd minor changes, but they've done a great job of sticking very closely to it. Each series is a book. I watched the first series before I ever read the books, but once I started reading, I couldn't put them down until I had read every book. I actually prefer finding things out from the book before seeing it on the tv series. There are times I've had to re-read a page a few times because I can't believe what just happened. The series wouldn't give that effect quite so much.

#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2014, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I read the books first (saving the last one for when I have more time to read!) and then watched the first season of the show. They do switch things up a little, but nothing major. The show is even more graphic (sex and violence) than the books - hard to watch for me sometimes, but I don't handle on-screen violence well. All in all, a good quality show, but I prefer the books.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (15) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#5 of 6 Old 04-12-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Update:  I am on book 5 now, and starting season 2.  I am smitten with the book's Jon Snow (reminding me of the old thread here on literary characters you'd fall into bed with).  But the actor playing Jon Snow?  Kit Harington?  Holy Hotties, Batman, the boy is *Cougar-rific*.  Mrawr!  :drool

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#6 of 6 Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm answering my original question for myself, for the benefit of those who like to read ahead:

Seasons 1 and 2 parallel the 1st and 2nd books respectfully

Seasons 3 and 4 cover the 3rd book.  That book is so big and the writing so tiny, I had to wear my magnifiers I save for sewing.

Curious to know what they will do with Season 5, because books 4 and 5 are the same time line with different characters.  Book 4 follows Arya, Samwell, Sansa, Cersei, Jaime and Brienne, the Iron Islands and Dorne.  Book 5 is the same time line but returns to Tyrion, Jon (sigh....), Daenarys, Davos and others.  I expect them to run the stories concurrently instead of in 2 books as GRR Martin chose.  So, I recommend reading both those books before watching next season, if you like to stay ahead.

Tags
Media

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page