What age for...... ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Terry Pratchett's Discworld books?  -- mild sexual innuendo (especially with those randy witches), humor based on references kids might not catch for years

James Bond movies? -- sexism, recreational sex, violence. 

To Kill A Mockingbird -- rape allegations, racism

Alien -- scaaaaaaaary!

There's Something About Mary? -- masturbation, sexual references

These are just some of the books and movies I have enjoyed over the years, ones that seem to bridge the "purely adult" and "purely adolescent".  My oldest is 9.  I guess the subjects I am wary about are rape, recreational sex and prostitution, racism and slavery.  I threw Alien in there because it's not a slasher movie, but it is frightening (not even sure dh should ever have seen it!)

Where our family is at:  we are big fan of LOTR, so battle violence; the girls have seen Jaws and that was scary and fun.  But I wonder about more sensitive subjects, and appropriate humor.  

Do you have other books or movies to add?

ETA:  Monty Python???

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 12:38 PM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Terry Pratchett's Discworld books?  -- mild sexual innuendo (especially with those randy witches), humor based on references kids might not catch for years

James Bond movies? -- sexism, recreational sex, violence. 

To Kill A Mockingbird -- rape allegations, racism

Alien -- scaaaaaaaary!

There's Something About Mary? -- masturbation, sexual references

.  . .

Do you have other books or movies to add?

ETA:  Monte Python???

I don't know about the first one, I never saw it.  My kids were exposed to Bond by around 9.  We didn't watch it with them, but dh is a fan and I stopped worrying about the kids seeing some of it.  I make fun of the sexism in it and the girls realize that it isn't how we treat people.  

I had my oldest watch To Kill a Mockingbird this year.  She is 14.  I am ok with my younger children seeing it too so long as they get to discuss it/watch it with me.  I don't know if my youngest would understand rape--I would offer a very basic explanation unless she asked for more details (if she were to watch the movie).  However, I don't think my youngest would be too interested yet.  

Alien.  Yuck!  I hated that movie.  I don't do well with that genre to be honest.  I wouldn't be upset if my oldest saw it at a friend's house, but I won't be introducing it to her.  My middle (11) has always been very sensitive and I really don't want her to see it yet.  

There's Something About Mary:  High School.  I just can't see being ok with it before high school.  

This type of question is a constant thought for me lately.  My dh seems to have no problem with violence or over the top behavior (I guess because it seems more like fantasy to him--it isn't part of our 'little' world).  He really gets annoyed with sexual references and humor.  I am the opposite.  I don't want her to think violence is "entertaining" and I guess I figure that eventually, she will have sex.  Hopefully, she won't ever be shot at!  Really though, each of our children handle things differently.  My middle (sensitive) child couldn't handle much for quite a while.  The disney villains were terrifying for her.  She would watch "The Little Mermaid" until the scary scene with the sea witch at the end.  She would start Nemo after the intro, etc.  My youngest has naturally been exposed to more.  It seems really hard to prevent her from seeing stuff when she has older sisters.  Thank goodness she has thicker skin!

Another thing is that I often require that the book is read before a movie is seen.  That, in itself, will usually keep the less appropriate movies on hold for a while.  I rarely restrict book selection if they pick it out themselves.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the thoughts.  We are watching the original Star Trek, which has some similar issues of sexism and occasional moments of molestation (Evil Kirk episode, for one).  These are difficult issues that in some ways can be helped by seeing a mild dose of something depicted and discussing it.

Beyond difficult issues, context in and of itself can be difficult.  Monty Python and Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are practically built on reference and contextual humor.  And, of course, not without their own difficulty ("Every Sperm is Sacred" anyone?)  Maybe high school for those, too, just to get enough wordliness to understand a lot of it.

It's hard to know what's appropriate.  I have a good idea the kinds of things they like and dislike (LOTR, yes, Men In Black, no-- the dude in the dead man's skin and the crazy bug-alien were simply to much for my monster-and-horror loving daughter could take.  And forget Alice In Wonderland.)

#4 of 8 Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SweetSilver, it seems we have similar taste!
Have you seen the children's books that Pratchett has written? My DD (age 10) loves them! There are some set in Discworld (start with Wee Free Men) and some not (check out The Bromeliad). We take the rest of the Discworld books individually, like anything else we usually pre-read/preview. She has read Colour of Magic and the Light Fantastic, and seen the movie. The rest we are waiting on until she is older, though she may be ready for Hogfather this year.

She loves LotR, as do we. Our guidelines, which may not suit anyone else, are; no sex but romance and light innuendo is ok, violence that is fantasized and not gratuitous is ok but not if it's very realistic or gory, DD doesn't like scary/thriller/suspense type things and neither do I so we stay away from any of that, she already knows about slavery so we don't avoid all mention of that but it's a tricky line to walk, anything with any mention or depiction of rape is totally off limits until she's much older.

We're waiting a couple more years on Python too, though she has seen a few sketches on YouTube. I really think it depends on the individual child more than any particular age.

Have you seen the Tamora Pierce books?

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!

#6 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 08:43 AM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTurtle View Post

Have you seen the Tamora Pierce books?

I really like this author.  My favorites are the "Circle of Magic" quartet (begins with Sandry's book) and the follow up quartet, "The Circle Opens".  I just noticed there is also the "Circle Reforged" -- I need to read this.  

Isn't it weird with movies.  We have let our two oldest watch Men In Black.  Regarding sex, perhaps I wasn't super clear.  I don't want the movie to be explicit with sex.  But I don't mind my 14 year old watching romantic comedies that happen to show the after or before scene (just not the during).  Most of the time.  It is really difficult to write down how much is too much.  

Oh, here is one:  How about the movie "Easy A"?  My dh doesn't seem to share my opinion that it would be fine for a 14 year old.  Personally, I think it is great and would give us a great conversation afterwards.  I have agreed to re-watch it before sharing it with her.  She asked to see it; I am not trying to introduce something to her that she isn't wanting.   

How about "The Sixth Sense"?  I think it is a great creepy movie.  It does have a bit of gore--I am on the fence about age with this one.  My dd will be a "high school" student this fall and I think it would be ok.  I put the "high school" in quotes because we homeschool and it is all relative.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 8 Old 04-10-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

It's been so long since I saw the Sixth Sense.  I don't think I'd have a problem with it for the 13+, but I don't remember it that well.  Creepy, scary movies really are quite individual.  My father (didn't raise me, thank heaven!) took us to see Amityville Horror when I was 8yo, with my older sister and stepsisters, though not one of us was older than 13.  Good old dad.  Or Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was 11.  Yup.  My mom--the prude-- I think she thought I could get some sex ed from some of the trade paperbacks she picked up at the grocery store.  Yikes Almighty, that woman had some racy books!  My parents (mom and stepdad) were such a contradiction.

#8 of 8 Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Personally I wouldn't recommend anything with sexual innuendo or violence for children, but as long as it's mild it should be fine. Just be prepared to talk to your child about it if they have any questions. Sexual content usually doesn't even register to kids, but its probably best to keep it away from them until they're at least 11 or 12 years old. Scary movies like Aliens are fun (since a lot of kids like to be scared), but I would suggest staying in the room with them while they're watching it.

Tags
Media

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page