Ninja movie recommendations!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Ninja movie recommendations!!

My 9.5yo daughter was asking to see some ninja movies. Subtitles 100% OK--she loves the original "Gojira" (Godzilla) so she wouldn't mind one bit.

I didn't want to wade through the bad and the cheese (and the cheesy-bad, though those can be fun in their own way, like "godzilla vs. Mothra").

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Following up on my own thread. Did some more research online and first found a free Jackie Chan movie. Not ninja, no. But the girls like the fact that he is "Monkey" from Kung Fu Panda, and a lot of the fighting was very reminiscent of that film (did JC choreograph those fights?) So, "Drunken Master", good introduction.

Still not Ninja. Ninja movies are pretty violent, but found Shinobi No Mono online from 1962. Liked it very much, not too violent and definitely not graphic. And it had the requisite Ninja masks.

I still like watching kung fu better. I studied Aikido and Iai Battu Jistu (Japanese sword discipline) for years, so I like watching the sparring and the sneaking of ninjas interests me less, but the plot in this was very good. Highly recommended!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I know this also is not a ninja movie, but Last Samurai is really good if she ever wants to watch it (let's face it, ninja is 1 step away from samurai). Does she like anime at all? There are some good ninja anime series and movies like Ruroni Kenshin. However I would recommend watching them first in case they're too gory (I don't remember too many of the later scenes since I haven't seen the series in a while).
Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm not sure if it counts as ninja, but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is well made, entertaining and even has some strong female characters. I also really like the Parkour movie District 13 (aka Banlieue 13), although I recommend that you screen it before showing your daughter.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird537 View Post
Does she like anime at all? There are some good ninja anime series and movies like Ruroni Kenshin.
Unfortunately, she does not like the anime that she's seen. But that could change any time and having a good recommendation doesn't hurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post
I'm not sure if it counts as ninja, but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is well made, entertaining and even has some strong female characters. I also really like the Parkour movie District 13 (aka Banlieue 13), although I recommend that you screen it before showing your daughter.
Thanks! I've seen CTHD. I can't remember is that the one with Chow Yun Fat? Or Michelle Yao and all the crazy string work? Good film, though the specifics are hazy.

No worries about the movies not being exactly "ninja". They are enjoying them all the same. They even liked the contrast with the Three Musketeers (90's version) and all the one-handed sword work and how different that was from the heavy, medieval-style in LOTR and the 2-handed Japanese styles. I wish I still had my bokken to let them train with. I used to know some kata that I taught my Aikido students. Very basic, but fun.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Thanks! I've seen CTHD. I can't remember is that the one with Chow Yun Fat? Or Michelle Yao and all the crazy string work? Good film, though the specifics are hazy.
Yes.

eta: There's also the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie from 1990.

Last edited by rachelsmama; 07-30-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Ooh! I have a few anime recommendations! First, is Spirited Away, one of the coolest movies ever!!! If she likes that, she might also like Howl's Moving Castle.

Has she seen the new Karate Kid? Jackie Chan is in that movie, and it's great! My son loved it, and so did I!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

User Tag List