Ideas of classic movies that a pre-teen would enjoy watching with family? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ideas of classic movies that a pre-teen would enjoy watching with family?

I mean black and white, or maybe color, but around that time. I have a girl (aged 10), but really, I welcome suggestions for either gender.

For example,

Sabrina
Sound of Music
Singin' in the Rain

Last edited by emilysmama; 07-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My girl is almost 7 and enjoys old Disney movies...20,000 leaques under the Sea, Summer Magic, The Three Lives of Thomasina, Eascape to Witch Mountain ect...

She also loves old movies like musicals like Sound of Music, Oklahoma ect..

She even likes the old 60 and 70 sitcoms...Gilligans Island, Wonder Woman, Brady Bunch ect...

We Love this stuff !!! Her current obsession is old Linda Carter Wonder Woman...I am going to try to get seasons 2&3. For her for Christmas
#3 of 11 Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Some of our favorites old movies though are That Darn Cat, The Ugly Dachsund, The Parent Trap (Hayley Mills version), and of course anything with Shirley Temple. We *love* I Love Lucy too and her movie 'Yours, Mine, and Ours'. I also love any old Doris Day movies and think most pre-teens would like those. Not sure what you'd think of the story line but I always really liked 'How to Marry A Millionaire' because it was hilarious!

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#4 of 11 Old 07-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Your daughter should love the movies about animals in this age! So how about "Save Willy", "Zeus and Roxanne", "Babe" (about adventures of little pig)
#5 of 11 Old 07-24-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Maybe she'd like Green Acres (classic, but funny), I Love Lucy, Star Trek (the original series and Next Generation), Dragonheart, or is there a particular genre that both of you like?
#6 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
My Fair Lady

80's ? Maybe?

Midnight madness
Better off Dead
#7 of 11 Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
I second the old Disney movies, including the Haley Mills movies, especially That Darn Cat! 20,000 Leagues. Don't forget The Absent Minded Professor, the original Herbie the Love Bug. Also, Lassie movies and some old cowboy movies, like Shane. The Lone Ranger has 2 full-length movies, and all the old episodes are on Hulu for free. National Velvet. What about Little Women with Katherine Hepburn?

My girls have more adventurous tastes-- they like the original Gojira (Godzilla), Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Thing From Outer Space. DD9 likes the old Sherlock Holmes movies (we laughed that one movie has Holmes saving the day from the Nazis!) Jaws... well, that might be too mature. My girls loved it. Close Encounters, though that's positively modern by comparison. Star Trek. Shinobi No Mono, a classic B&W ninja movie from Japan. Gilligan's Island-- we've now seen all 3 season's worth, confirming that I did indeed see every single episode in reruns growing up.

We've seen The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Lon Chaney (silent) as well as Gold Rush with Charlie Chaplin. The Lost World, another AC Doyle story made into a silent picture-- with amazing special effects (for the 1920's) and Spooooky-Funny dinosaurs. Our Gang/Little Rascals wasn't well received, though it was one of my favorites, as were Abbott and Costello episodes.

Though they have a lot of sexism and suggestions of recreational sex, the 60's Bond movies are fun.

Now they've seen enough old movies, they aren't turned off by B&W like they used to be.

I'm sure there are a million more out there!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#8 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 01:32 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
SweetSilver has great ideas there. I totally forgot about the Herbie the Love Bug! I would also suggest some of the good TV series also like Andy Griffith, Bewitched, maybe I Dream of Jeannie, the Waltons. I love the Waltons. Some of the 80s movies might be okay like another poster mentioned. I really love the 1986 version of "The Frog Prince" with Helen Hunt.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#9 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 AM

The Shaggy Dog is another Disney film I forgot. Oliver! The Beatles' films A Hard Day's Night and Help!

My girls haven't seen it, but I really enjoyed Jimmy Stewart and Katherine Hepburn's The Philadelphia Story. It's funny and smart. It's A Wonderful Life.

Laurel and Hardy.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#10 of 11 Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 PM
AAK

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Swiss Family Robinson (the old version--1960) was a favorite of mine growing up. I dreamed of having an adventure (and tree house) like that.
I second the Love bug and all the Herbie movies.
Apple Dumpling Gang
Pollyanna
Patty Duke Show
Leave it to Beaver
Mr. Ed
Addams family
Happy Days
Bonanza
Lassie
I used to watch John Wayne movies with my grandpa, but I don't remember much about them.
Pete's Dragon--maybe too recent (1970s?) but we love this.
I guess I listed more shows than movies; when I remember more movies, I will add them.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#11 of 11 Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 AM

You just reminded me to reserve Apple Dumpling Gang at the library, Great list!

Missing from the lists are two movies that are so ageless we forget how old they are: Wizard of Oz, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page