• 1 Post By Nazsmum
  • 1 Post By farmermomma
  • 1 Post By beckybird

#1 of 10 Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The Giver, by Lois Lowry

Does anybody else love this book? Have you read the entire series (only 4 books)?

There is a movie coming out this month, and I'm so excited to see it. I read The Giver in 7th grade, and loved it so much. Over the years, I collected the other books, and most recently bought the 4th book for my birthday this past March. I reread the series once every 2-3 years, and this year my son will read the book for school, so I can read it again. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did (and still do)!!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#2 of 10 Old 08-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I do like The Giver. I did not know it is part of a series. Does it follow the different givers?

I will keep an eye out for the movie.
#3 of 10 Old 08-01-2014, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Oh those have been some of my favorites since I was little. I'm not sure about the movie; it really throws me when the actors don't match what the characters look like in my brain. Dd12 loved The Giver but wasn't as into the rest of the series.
I hope you like the 4th one!
#4 of 10 Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Nazsmum--the other books follow different people with unique talents, but not other givers. The other books do not take place in the high-tech society of the Giver, but they do take place during the same time period. It's interesting to see how different each society can be.

Stormborn--I read the 4th book in a day and a half lol! It was my bday, so I bought the book, came home, laid in bed for a few hours, and read while DH watched the kids.
I know the movie will probably be so different from the book, especially since Jonas is not a 12 year old in the movie!
applejuice likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#5 of 10 Old 08-01-2014, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Thanks! I will have to check that out. Movies are never like the book!
beckybird likes this.
#6 of 10 Old 08-02-2014, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Never judge a book by its movie.
beckybird likes this.
#7 of 10 Old 08-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I just read the 4th book a few weeks ago. I'd read 2 and 3 several years ago, and didn't really like them much. I did enjoy the 4th, and it did sort of tie things together better. But now I have to go back and read the original, because the 4th was such a different viewpoint of the community from what I remembered (I don't think I've read The Giver since I was 13 or so), and I'm not sure how much of that is how the book is written, and how much is my own change in perspective.

I'm curious to see what people think of the movie. I know a lot of people hated the trailer, but trailers aren't always accurate.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#8 of 10 Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Love the book! I have read the series. I didn't like any of them as much as The Giver. A bit before Son was being released, I got be at a discussion with the author for part of our city's "Get Lit" festival. It was a great discussion. She read from Son, and then had a large group discussion about the Giver, and the companion books.

I really wanted Son to tell us more about how the community handles Jonah leaving, but it didn't.

I am hesitant to see the movie because I am concerned that they had no intention to stay true to the book. How can you stay true to a book if you aren't going to have Jonah be 12? Also, just from the previews, they have changed lots of details--this bugs me too. I just re-read it with my nearly 12 year old and so the book is fresh in my mind. The changes will really stand out. I might have to wait for video.

On a positive note, I saw a preview for it at the theater the other day that encouraged people to read the book and then come to the movie. I don't know why they would promote that it they were going to make a bunch of changes, so perhaps it won't be as bad as I fear.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I saw the movie yesterday, and I loved it! There were a few differences, but it captured the spirit of the book. I actually liked some of the changes more than what really happened in the book!! When it comes out on DVD, I will buy it.
AAK likes this.

#10 of 10 Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Good to know! Thanks

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page