It was awesome! hilarious!! :LOL :LOL :LOL

Sahm mom to three lovely girls, and happily married to a great, sweet guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2004, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw it today and liked it! I used to live in CT and I *totally* understand why it was set there. Trophy wives abound in Fairfield County:LOL
Now I want to see the original so I can compare them!

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:22 AM

Cool, I think I may take myself to see that soon.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 06-12-2004, 01:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah smiles
I saw it today and liked it! I used to live in CT and I *totally* understand why it was set there. Trophy wives abound in Fairfield County:LOL
Now I want to see the original so I can compare them!
OMG, I've seen the original about 20 times.
Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
So did they have the scene where Joanna stabs her friend with the knife and her friend goes haywire and says, "Why did you do that, I was just trying to make you coffee...I was just trying to make you coffee...I was just trying to make you coffee, while she carried cup after cup of coffee to the dining room and dropping it on the floor? My sister and I used to crack up at that scene. Then they did a sequel where the women took revenge, and it turned out they had just been drugged.

PS, when I moved to Orange county California, I used to refer to some of the women in my neighborhood as Stepfords. My husband and I started doing this on our own, never having heard anyone else use the term, but it was actually ubiquitous so we weren't original in that thought, apparently.

But then I decided it was a demeaning term that I wouldn't use anymore. Later I heard a mom who lived in San Clemente refer to the Stepfords in the town where I lived. I was thinking that since she was thin and blonde, that was the pot calling the kettle black! You can't be a Stepford if you are fat and don't cook dinner for your husband.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:58 AM

I want to go see this but might have a hard time getting away without DD. I know it's not a kids movie but are there things that would be damaging for a 2-year-old who will likely be more interested in the popcorn?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:11 PM

i am going to see it with my ex today, lol, while my dh is at work & my dd minds the toddlers. (noooo, please don't bring your 2 yr old! i'll go see 'shrek 2' if i want to sit in a movie theater with toddlers! not appropriate!)

ps dh is fine with it, i'm not sneaking around or anything, tho' this would be the movie to get added zest from feeling wicked to go see i'm also reading 'the mommy myth' at the moment to get in the mood. they attack dr sears! i feel so subversive!

i need a break from kids & 'doing' (and thank god my dh was raised by a feminist & knows i deserve it! man, i am burned out! no goddam cookie-baking today!)

suse
Old 06-13-2004, 02:23 PM

I went to see this last night, and I haven't decided yet if I liked it. I did howl at that tea party scene when they were all discussing what to do with pine cones. Bette Midler is so frickin' hilarious.

They were times, though, when the movie just made me really uncomfortable. I guess because even though it was poking fun at the whole "superwoman" myth, there are an awful lot of men (and women) out there who'd like us to be Stepford Wives. The husband of a good friend of mine, for example, once talked her out of accepting her dream job, because she'd make a lot more money than he did. And even in my own feminist household, my pretty enlightened partner still thinks that the tasks of cleaning and cooking are primarily mine.

So in the end, I just wasn't sure what to take from this movie. Was it saying that women are the ones making our lives unbearable? That we can't strive for perfection, because it comes at too high a price? I agree with that, but then how do we get the men to stop expecting it?

Oooh, I'm on a rant. Obviously, I'm over-anaylsing what's meant to be a light hearted film. I did find it very amusing in parts!
Old 06-27-2004, 02:24 PM

We saw it last night. My husband said he wanted his money back. I thought it was just ok, probably more of a rental. Bette was very funny though. Seemed kinda short too. The tea party scene was the best. The "I can do better" portion made me sad.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:38 PM

Amy, to answer your question....yes, they did.
I saw the original on DVD in the cheapo DVD bin at Wal-mart last weekend, but I didn't pick it up. Wishing I would've!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:54 PM

BEWARE - DON"T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THE MOVIE!!!!!!

I saw this yesterday too! I liked it but was expecting something a bit more along the lines of the book by Ira Levin. The book was ironic and grim - no happy ending there. So I was surprised by the twist (I shouldn't have been knowing Hollywood!) at the end where she wasn't a robot. I thought it got a bit too campy at the end too. It also didn't hang together in terms of the logistics of turning the wives into Stepford wives -- did they or did they not use that eyeless naked body that Roger and Joanne both see before being sent to become Stepford-ized? If they did -- how come all it took was a little computer fiddling to reverse the process and make all of them turn back into themselves?

All in all the book club scene made it worth it - I'll never look at a pinecone in quite the same way again!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:46 PM

i kind of want to see this and DH thinks I'm crazy.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:58 PM

pretty lame- even bette midler couldn't save it from itself. i was disappointed; not by the camp (graham norton, anyone? omg, last night was the most i've laughed in ages; sandra bernhard on sex in a pool: 'the last thing i need is a chlorine douche'), but how badly it was done. i have never loathed nichole kidman more. paula prentiss & katherine ross played our heroines better (and you were actually sad when they were stepfordized.)

suse
Old 06-27-2004, 08:52 PM

I saw this on Thursday and while some parts did make me laugh, yes I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ms Midler!!! Most of it wasn't that good, I hated Nicole in this movie and they made such a big deal about Fatih Hill being in it but her part was super small???? I liked the original better and plan to rent that next weekend!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
Old 06-28-2004, 02:46 AM

My dh and I are on the "this movie is disrespectful. how are they getting away with it?" train of thought right now.

The fact that it's supposed to be a comedy is turning me off. I'll probably rent it, tho, just to complain about it. :LOL
Old 06-28-2004, 05:55 PM

I found it enjoyable, although IMO it was nothing compared to the book or first movie. Completely different feel to it. I felt it was almost a backhanded insult at women who are successful, but very hidden, if that makes any sense. Left me feeling icky. Bette Midler was the best part, by far, but most of the jokes fell flat on their face.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I loved it. I'd here all the press before the movie came out that it was supposed to be the worst movie ever, etc. So, I when I went to see it, I went with ZERO expectations. I was surprised that I laughed so much. I thought it was quirky, and a lot of people probably wouldn't like it, but I thought it was a hoot. I've seen the original movie and read the book. This movie is different in a lot of ways but I thought it was a fun companion to the original. And it got all my feminst energy flowing too!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
Old 06-29-2004, 02:24 AM

BORING!!! This movie was one of the worst I've ever seen! Maybe I should have went with zero expectations then maybe I would not have minded it so much.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=ColesMom]BEWARE - DON"T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THE MOVIE!!!!!!

I thought it got a bit too campy at the end too. It also didn't hang together in terms of the logistics of turning the wives into Stepford wives -- did they or did they not use that eyeless naked body that Roger and Joanne both see before being sent to become Stepford-ized? If they did -- how come all it took was a little computer fiddling to reverse the process and make all of them turn back into themselves?

I wondered about this too.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:10 PM

When I told my husband my mom and I were going to see it he said that the movie is making fun of me...sahm's. He really didn't care if I saw it, though. I liked the original also but this one more..so much funnier! As far as the whole issue of men vs. women I think the point was you should just be happy with your husband or wife for who they are..not expect perfection. And I also loved the book club scene.

User Tag List