Books you wish you had never read, or movies you wish you had never seen? - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 468 Old 11-16-2006, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne View Post
So, I rented Fortress....the most disturbing movie from my childhood. I am currently facing my 90 minute demon.

It's even creepier than I remember. I forgot one of the freaking gunmen was dressed like Santa Claus. Ugh. I think I'm going to have nightmares for a week. Why am I doing this?
Why ARE you doing this?

I think it's like Poltergeist. That movie messed me up when I was little but now as an adult I think it's just silly.
#452 of 468 Old 11-17-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 little birds View Post
Where the Heart Is (the book)
yeah. the first chapter was great, and the rest just sucked so much, but i could not stop reading. like watching a train wreck. a total waste of time.
#453 of 468 Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Well, demon faced and conquered. I didn't have nightmares, anyway. The movie still horrified me, but for different reasons now. I can't believe I was allowed to watch something so violent. I think I was about 8 when I saw it. And the fact that this stupid movie haunted me for most of my life, thus far, has made me even more resolute to guard my kids from TV.

The other one is Carrie. I saw that when I was about 5 or 6 and wish I hadn't seen it that young. It's one of my favorites now, though.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#454 of 468 Old 11-17-2006, 11:45 AM

Every time I read this I think "Lord Love a Duck" and the Angela Lansbury version of "The Mirror Crack'd"
#455 of 468 Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM

Communion with Christopher Walken, I still think abour that little alien face pokin' out from behind that wardrobe. eeek!
#456 of 468 Old 11-17-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy View Post
At least they went the high road and didn't have the gorilla flinging fecal matter around when he felt threatened like gorillas IRL do. KWIM?

yeah, he just flung people around instead!
#457 of 468 Old 11-17-2006, 04:46 PM

I wish I could unsee the Blob remake. The scene where the chick's face caves in was just icky.
#458 of 468 Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 AM

Last House on the Left.

I am a horror movie addict, but for some reason this one really got to me. It's the one movie I refuse to watch again.
#459 of 468 Old 11-20-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasingPeace View Post
"The Ring." I couldn't sleep for weeks.
me too! it's the one that made me decide NO MORE HORROR MOVIES!
#460 of 468 Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 PM

Another true horror fan here! I love, love, love to watch and read it. My mom, very reluctantly started letting me watch them at 11. My best friend and I would beg and beg her to rent us a horror flick. She'd finally give in assuming that we'd be terrified and wouldn't be able to sleep. She finally just realized that we loved getting scared in a safe environment. We'd scream then crack up. At fifteen, I had a New Year's Eve sleepover where we rented horror flick and watched them all night. Dad, Mom, and her best friend left us for a short time to go out to eat - they came back and snuck in the back of the house - waited for a scary part of them movie - then put their jackets over their heads and came running into the room yelling. We cracked up for twenty minutes after we all stopped screaming! I have the coolest mom ever. But I digress.......

Books:
Bonfire of the Vanities - just a really, really bad book
Amityville Horror - I love horror, but this was supposedly based on a true story, and I just got creeped out. If it had been all make believe - I'd probably have loved it.
The Red Tent - Everyone I knew loved it, so I kept reading it - waiting for it to get good - it never did.

Movies:
Beloved - This movie was poorly done. It was painful to sit through. I was so looking forward to this movie when we went to see it. It was so awful.
Payback - Dh and I (and sil and bil) got to go to a free screening of this movie. We got to watch it and then give our opinions of it. We totally trashed the movie - it was horrible. So, then, of course, after the movie was actually released - we had to go see it to see what had been changed. The entire ending was different, but it was still a horrible movie. Nothing but gratuitous violence - and we saw it TWICE. Aaaahhh.
Wishmaster - The only movie I have ever seriously considered walking out of. The premise of the movie is very cool. It's based on the legend of the gin (gen?) or genies. You get three wishes, but you don't see the awful consequences of the wishes. Basically you wish for something good, and you get what you wish, but only because something awful happens. The movie was nothing but gore. I've never seen so many people walk out of a movie before.
Cape Fear - An awful, terrible, disgusting, worthless movie - another one that I had to see TWICE. Went to see it with my boyfriend (now dh) - hated it. Then, made him a romantic dinner, got all dressed up, and what movie did he take me to see? You guessed it. I have never let him live it down.
Eyes Wide Shut - Really, really long and boring. Might have been good if it was an hour shorter.

p.s. I actually read all 23 pages of this thread!!!!!!!
#461 of 468 Old 01-29-2007, 12:23 PM

Finally thought of the worst movie (animated)

All Dogs Go to Heaven
#462 of 468 Old 01-29-2007, 01:27 PM

There's 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.

I went back in the thread and saw that I'm not alone!

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#463 of 468 Old 01-29-2007, 01:43 PM

I thought of another one - Godzilla (the one made in the 90's). Awful, horrible, blech - phooey.
#464 of 468 Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 AM

OK, I'll read through 60+ pages of the Harry Potter thread, but didn't read through this thread. Anywho, these may have been mentioned prior. A book called "The House" by Bentley Little and the movie "Sixth Sense"
Both of these creeped me out BIG TIME and still do to this day! Shudder!
#465 of 468 Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 AM

movies:
The Hills Have Eyes 1&2...why? Why, why, WHY?
The Stewie Griffin Movie--it was like they just made a super long episode. Oh, and did I mention it sucked a monkey?
Rosemary's Baby--I thought it was supposed to be a classic. It wasn't scary at all!

books:
Catcher in the Rye--ok, I loved Nine Stories. But I don't like CitR.
The DaVinci Code--the movie was so bad we couldn't finish it. And I didn't like the book, either. It bored me. I suppose that's bad.
City of Bones--sloppy writing. And it's on the children's bestseller list too. I only read it cause I was mutual friends with cc on lj, back when she was an HP fanfic writer. But--blech!

ETA: I read TONS of books. But I also read the ones I like until they fall apart.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#466 of 468 Old 08-20-2007, 02:33 PM

This has been mentioned b/f in this thread, but my all-time big regret is the Flowers in the Attic series by VC Andrews. It had such a negative impact on me as a young girl.

coolshine.gif Mama to DS ('06), DD ('08), and DD (9.18.11).

#467 of 468 Old 08-20-2007, 05:01 PM

The movie Tideland. I watched it several weeks ago and am still not over it. It was incredibly disturbing for me, and I am usually not the type to let movies or books effect me like this. I read reviews and knew it was going to be dark, but for some reason someone compared it to Pan's Labyrinth, which I loved. I was so not prepared to see what I saw in this movie.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#468 of 468 Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 PM

the ring
it was my last scary movie.
oh yeah i saw king ralph as a teenager...worst movie ever.
books..
the baby whisperer
she seems to make sense until she promotes formula feeding and baby training. stressed me out just reading it

i really love the book
the red tent
and even though it was violent the movie 300
i mean, 300 men with six packs in their underwear...who even noticed the violence!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page