Books you wish you had never read, or movies you wish you had never seen? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Books:
Pet Sematary! I have visions of this (from reading the book) every so often. Mostly just about the kid getting run over in the first place. Thank goodness I didn't have kids when I read it.

A book I read when I was very young - maybe 12? I have no idea what it was called or why I was reading it, but there was some nasty child abuse (to a baby) that I won't go into here. Suffice to say I will never forget it & it makes me ill every time I think about it. I think it was the same book where a group of kids were throwing rocks at a crow with a broken wing.

Interview With a Vampire

Movies:
All slasher/horror movies I saw as a teenager.

The Sweet Hereafter - very depressing - didn't see the point (I know a lot of people loved it, so I must have missed something)

Platoon - I can imagine what war is like, I don't need to see it.

That's all I can think of right now. Great thread - I'm going to cross a few movies off my list that I wanted to see. Thanks!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#62 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 04:24 PM

pet sematary WAS creepy, i liked it but it is the reason my username is NOT "gagesmom!" i love that name but when i was pregnant i realized i could never use it, i felt unreasonably sure that if i did my son would suffer the same fate as little gage in the movie.

my sisters & i used to chase one another around the house yelling, "spinaaaaal meningiiiitiiissss!" like zelda. (sick? yes, we are!)

the ring was creepy. the others. sixth sense & that kevin bacon one where he digs up the backyard~ stir of echoes. all creepy but worth watching. i will never, ever, EVER watch the exorcist. never.

ever. :LOL
#63 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme

I thought of a few more -
Stephen King's "Regulators" and the other parallel book that went with it I forgot the name but the bad guy in both was a spirit named Tak. The whole young boy having to take his dead little sister down from a coathook and the whole dead family including baby in high chair at the dinner table was too much imagery for me.
Heh, I have The Regulators sitting right here on my desk. It's been quite a few years since I read it but I just bought it recently because I'm trying to get all Kings books in hardcover. The other book was Desperation.
#64 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doula4women
Wish I'd never read "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb (stopped trusting Oprah's book club after this one. But I LOVED his first book).
Oh, I loved "I Know This Much Is True"!!!!
Can I ask why you didn't like it? I'm really curious.

I hated She's Come Undone, though.

peace,
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#65 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 05:17 PM

i would probably laugh at it now if i saw it, but when i was 10 or 11 i watched one of the sleepaway camp movies, and the end was just so gross. this extremely disturbed girl turned who out to be a boy was screaming this demented freaky scream naked on a hill after killing everyone at camp, if i remember correctly. that one freaked me out for years. his/her scream was so creepy. :shiver :gag

also recently watched boys don't cry, which in many ways was a sweet movie, but the second half made me ill.
#66 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Banned

'jacob's ladder' disturbed me and yet i'd like to see it again. it was so sad and scary. 'the good son' bothered me, too, because i'm the same age as macauley culkin and i had a crush on him when i was young.

i read 'house of leaves' while pregnant at night: :. good book, though, and i don't regret it. the book 'pet cemetary' really took a lot out of me.
#67 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 06:22 PM

Desperation Thank you.

Forgot to say for some reason The Excorcist didn't scare me at all. I watched it when I was 12 or so. I must be an oddball lol.

Kevin Bacon -horror movie tidbit - he is in the original Friday the 13th.

I remembered that i forgot to mention that TV movie on a few weeks ago about Charles Manson. The details of Sharon Tate's murder has haunted me for years. Then there is idiot me pregnant and watching it anyways What was I thinking.

I think what it mostly is for me is that stuff that wouldn't have phased me before I had children now affects me in a lot of different ways/levels after having my babies. ANyone else notice this as well? Perhaps it's a larger appreciation for the sacredness of life (having gone through so much to sustain our children from conception and onwards) after giving our own children life.
#68 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Atila the Honey - I am with you on The Bluest Eye. Excellent, but...

also, The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. I instantly hated every man I knew or met for weeks after reading that book. A wonderful feminist addition to anti-utopian fiction, but I wish I hadn't read it.
#69 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeard
i would probably laugh at it now if i saw it, but when i was 10 or 11 i watched one of the sleepaway camp movies, and the end was just so gross. this extremely disturbed girl turned who out to be a boy was screaming this demented freaky scream naked on a hill after killing everyone at camp, if i remember correctly. that one freaked me out for years. his/her scream was so creepy. :shiver :gag
The thing about that movie that creeped my out when when he/she stabs someone through the wall of the shower.
#70 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 08:19 PM

Although I loved them both, I wish I had never read "Deep End of the Ocean" and "Map of the World"--both about the loss of a child (one dies, one gets kidnapped). Just too much for my mama heart & imagination to take.

I am reading the book for the MDC book club--"My Sister's Keeper", and am having a very hard time with it--I can only read a bit at a time. It is well written and engagin, but teh subject matter--esp. that from the mom's POV is almost too much for me.

I could have done without seeing Poltergeist, as well.
#71 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 08:29 PM

What's the movie where the woman turns out to be a dude, or at least it does a full frontal and the guy has boobs and a penis. I'm still confused what went on. Forest Whittaker was the star in it. Sorry for the horrible description, but it was so bad people in the theatre were yelling and booing and throwing things at the screen. That was one I wish I had never seen.
*The Crying Game* I looked it up. Ahhh horrible movie.

Along with Stigmata, I have a hard time taking a bath because of that one.

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#72 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 08:39 PM

indie, yeah, i remember that part too! that was gross..

corrie43, i loved the crying game! sad tho.

(ot- i'm sensing a theme here, as all of my comments have to do with gender confused characters! heh)
#73 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 09:52 PM

I can stomach just about anything... BUT!

I regret watching Hannibal (also saw it when pg).

I regret watching American History X. It made me cry for an hour and put me in a sad mood for the rest of the day!

Also regret watching Romper Stomper. Too much mindless hate.

I also was traumatised by a book given to me by a teacher in 4th grade called "The Woods at the end of Autumn Street" by Lois Lowry I think it was. The little boy in it gets his throat cut. I can't read the book even now and its supposed to be a children's book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The movie, Quills is very, very, very disturbing but at the same time it was interesting just how far human depravity would go. My DH was disgusted by it and The Ring. He absolutely HATES the Ring!
#74 of 468 Old 06-26-2004, 11:33 PM
Banned

what??? i loved 'the crying game'! it was so sad.
#75 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, it is amazing that so many people are saying the same books and movies! And that most of them are horror type books.

I saw the ring and it WAS disturbing..but I lughed at the Blair witch project. Number one, they swore so much it was hard to take ANYTHING seriously that anyone said, and number two...I just kept wanting to scream at them " FOLLOW THE STREAM!!!!" instead of crossing it. I was taught to always try to follow a stream down ...not to cross them, just follow them, and sooner or later you will run into something, a logging road, town..something.

The scariest part of the movie for me was the very end, and also all the fake documentary type shows leading up to the movie.

I saw The Exorsist at a little girls house in Ohio when I was about 11. It was scary ...I was shocked. her mother and father had put a tv in the girls bedroom and that was what they were watching, and they were younger than my sister and I!

That movie has gottne more disturbing to me every year.

There is a part in Hannibal where they talk about somehting waful happening to hannibal lectors little sister and that still makes me ill to this day. Those who haver ead the book know what I mean.

I HATE THAT STEVEN KING SERIES!!!!!! What ever it was called with the strange spiritual eruptions and people being killed left and right.

I read A LOOOTTTT of Steven King as a little girl/teen and now I wish I had NEVER read a sinlge one. Bits and pieces of so many stories come abck to haunt me on a fairly regular basis. Now I am the person reading fluff..because honestly right now that is ALL I can handle.
#76 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 12:38 AM

I wish I never read Lucky by Alice Sebold. I loved The Lovely Bones so much. I think Sebold is very brave for writing Lucky, but I internalized the hell out of it and had bad dreams and really heightened anxiety/depression for weeks after reading it.

I also NEVER want to see Leaving Las Vegas again. I was actually in training to be a rape victim's advocate when I saw this, not knowing about the rape scene, and it screwed me up completely.

American History X is another. I actually really loved it and found it to be brilliant but it took me a long time to escape the images in my mind.

Also Requiem for a Dream. Did anyone else see this? Bad, bad, bad!!! Totally messed with me.
#77 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 12:50 AM

oooh i'm getting scared just reading this :
I recently made the mistake of watching helter skelter on tv when my son was about 2 months old. I have bad dreams and freak myself out knowing that there are people who can just kill like that. The absolute worst part was when they had the actress playing sharon tate, as she lay dying, beg one of the murderers to cut the baby out of her belly and save him. It just freaks me out. She was nine months pregnant, same time DS was born. OK, I wont go any further. That is graphic enough. It just really messed with me.
I watch TV in the winter time and Americas most wanted and cops always throw me off for a few days. My whole reality starts to look like the world is full of psychopaths and I get depressed. Needless to say I have found other things to do with Saturday night and only watch the show about twice a year.
Ok enough for me
oops, i meant that she was 8 months pregnant
#78 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom
Also Requiem for a Dream. Did anyone else see this? Bad, bad, bad!!! Totally messed with me.
Yes! That was a total trainwreck. About halfway through, I just didn't want to watch anymore but couldn't look away.

It took months to get that one out of my head and I still avoid it in the video store in case the cover brings it all back.
#79 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
As for reading--one time I read an article in a magazine (about a true story) about a teenaged couple who would kidnap teenaged girls and then sexually abuse then and then kill them in horrifying ways. Just know that these things really happened to these girls is just too much to take. I often lay awake at night thinking about that and wish I did not know the details. They were way too specific in the article.
Lisa! You remember this?? It was maybe 15 years ago, maybe more. About this newly married, really young couple in Canada, I think. That really stuck with me. That was one of those news articles I couldn't pull my eyes off of, even though I knew I shouldn't be reading it. But it was one of those turning point news articles, too; I was shocked to learn how unspeakably awful people can be.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#80 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 02:20 AM

Yes, that may have been it! I know it happened in the 80's--and they were a young good looking couple. The article gave some specific details about how they killed one teen girl in particular and it still haunts me.

I remember watching "Sybil" as a young kid, and just being horrified at the things that horrible, abusive mother did. Those kinds of movies I was too young to know that I should not be watching it--and my mom and dad never put a limit on it...so I would see it and it would stick with me in a very unhealthy way. I feel for everyone here that was shown scary movies at young ages! It does rob you of that feeling of safety that a child should have.

I try very hard to avoid all all scary movies (or even movies that are too intense) because it tends to leave me with negative baggage that lingers. Who needs that, right? My parents also took us to movies that were too scary at very young ages--and I am very careful about what my kids see as a direct result.
#81 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 02:34 AM

I'm another one who hates Artificial Intelligence (AI). I was so profoundly disturbed by it. It still tears me up when I think about it. oof. Blair Witch Project freaked me out pretty good too.
#82 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 02:44 AM

i was most shocked by the scene in Where the heart is i think ... bam! out of nowhere it seemed. not expecting such horror in the context of that book. made me ill.

i also read American Psycho and I would have to skim large chunks of it ... i will not read it again. i dont know why i perservered.

I could not watch If these walls could talk with the kitchen table scene.

And I also felt raw after seeing a doco on what happened with the Branch Davidians, in Waco. I won't share what was so grusome but I can still see it clearly in my minds eye.
#83 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 03:18 AM

Books - just one and I don't remember the name. The author's pen name is "Lemony Snippet" or something like that, about the three orphans with the uncle who wants their money. It bothered me.

Movies - in general, I avoid ones rated R so that cuts down on a lot of those mentioned here. But still...
Anaconda - the worst movie I've ever seen. Horrible acting, pathetic special effects, pitiful story...
Nightmare on Elm Street - I saw this when I was 12 or so and it freaked me out. Actually, I had seen many scary movies before and was fine, but I saw this one with a friend and was still fine until it was time to go to bed. Then she said she was scared to use the bath because of the sceen where Freddy attacks Nancy in the tub. Then I got scared, and stayed scared for a looooooong time.
Jurassic Park III - second worst movie I've seen. We bought it from Costco and returned it after we watched it. Thank goodness Costco will take anything back.
Castle in the Sky - it wasn't too bad, but after enjoying Spirited Away so much, this was so long and boring that I was very disappointed in it.
The Ring - I must have missed something because I thought it was kinda dumb. What kind of ghost uses a video tape? And (spoiler here!) I thought journalist chick was saved because she went to such lengths to learn about the dead girl, if all you had to do was copy the darn tape, there was not need to learn all the rest. And if copying it is all you have to do to stay alive, then just copy it then destroy it! I dunno, please explain it if I totally missed the point.
#84 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaEvans
The Ring - I must have missed something because I thought it was kinda dumb. What kind of ghost uses a video tape? And (spoiler here!) I thought journalist chick was saved because she went to such lengths to learn about the dead girl, if all you had to do was copy the darn tape, there was not need to learn all the rest. And if copying it is all you have to do to stay alive, then just copy it then destroy it! I dunno, please explain it if I totally missed the point.
I don't think the demon girl from The Ring takes kindly to loopholes. :LOL

Requiem for a Dream> I LIKED this movie, but yes, very disturbing. It's been years since we saw it, but my dh, sister and I still have long drawn out arguments about which character has the worst fate! (I say the mother, dh says the african american character, sister says Jennifer Connelly's character)

AI> Ooooh, yeah. When this movie was disturbing me it was boring the heck out of me. I felt like that movie was filmed in real time, especially when he was frozen in the glacier!

No one has said "Faces of Death"? Am I the only idiot that watched that? I watched it when I was 15 and there are parts I will never, ever forget.

flowersforyou.gif

#85 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 03:15 PM

• The Shining
  • Pet Cemetary
  • What's Love got to do with it
  • 28 Days Later
  • Death Valley (I think that's the name of it...)
  • any movies with graphic rape or preying on children
  • that movie w/Keifer & Salley field that someone else mentioned
  • Blair witch project (haven't camped since i saw it)

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#86 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I must have missed something because I thought it was kinda dumb. What kind of ghost uses a video tape?
As disturbing as I found the movie, the plot wasn't too bad I thought. The ghost "did whatever" to the video tape because the TV in the cabin was right over her old "grave" which was the well. She also while still alive was made to watch TV so her powers would be nullified for periods of time.
I think the mom got so into getting the demon girl to "rest in peace" she totally overlooked that copying the tape was all on3 needed to do to get her off their butts. The girl was never really going to rest in peace, she was just really evil (which was what the father of the girl and the dr. of the girl was trying to get across). How disturbing. Demon girl, loopholes

Requiem... SHould have been called Prerequisite for entering Dreamland..

AI was on TV last night and I watched the ending/last 40 mins or so, I sat there and sobbed the whole time. The whole movie is so depressing. I never want to see it again lol.
American Psycho (the movie) didn't really bug me either. I got heebie jeebies watching the chainsaw go down the stairwell and...well, yeah lol.
#87 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom
Lisa! You remember this?? It was maybe 15 years ago, maybe more. About this newly married, really young couple in Canada, I think. That really stuck with me. That was one of those news articles I couldn't pull my eyes off of, even though I knew I shouldn't be reading it. But it was one of those turning point news articles, too; I was shocked to learn how unspeakably awful people can be.
One of the big news channels always plays a show "Dark Heart , Iron hand" about them.The woman , Karla even helped rape and kill her 15 year old sister.

In California a few years back there was another couple that had a torture van and would rape and kill women too.
#88 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey
No one has said "Faces of Death"? Am I the only idiot that watched that? I watched it when I was 15 and there are parts I will never, ever forget.
The dude getting electocuted... I'll never forget that ever.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#89 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 08:20 PM

I used to love scary/gory movies, but then I saw Seven, and it changed things for me. It left me feeling so sick, so *unclean.* I kept wishing I could erase it from my memory, from my soul. I wish I hadn't started watching it, because even though I felt this grossness creeping in, I couldn't seem to turn it off until it was over. How sick is that? Blech. Ick.
#90 of 468 Old 06-27-2004, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

I had completely forgotten about those 'Faces of Death ' movies. I did watch one when i was in highschool.Very disturbing.

My father used to let me stay up on saturday nights and watch "Big Chuck and Little John"..it was a show where they played B horror movies and had little skits. I know I should NOT have been watching a LOT of those. I recently watched an old movie called The Blood on satans Claw, and laughed all through it..but as a little girl that one was Scary and a bit confusing.

I also remember another one with a wax voo doo doll of a ma, and some one throwms the doll into a fire and the guy melts along with the doll..pretty yucky.

I also wish I had NEVER read nor seen the Amityville thing, about the house. Creepy.

Blair witch two did NOT scare me. Those people annoyed me and had it coming to them.

Has anyone seen Ghost ship. Ick. Talk about gore. I caught the last half of it and could not believe how nasty the end was. That poor little girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page