Books you wish you had never read, or movies you wish you had never seen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was pregnant with my son I read 'Hannibal', and it has caused me to have disturbing nightmares for years now. I am also very,very,very sorry I read so much Steven King..especially 'It'.

I wish I had NEVER seen Pet Cemetary as well. I am still haunted by certain parts of that movie.

On a lighter note..I wish I could have the two hours back that were wasted seeing "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" in the theater when I was 12 or 13. ICK! What were we thinking??????

What about you?
#2 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 02:23 PM

Reading Helter Skelter as a teenager

Seeing the movie From Hell about Jack the Ripper. I don't know what happened but it triggered something and I had the worst flash back like images and the worst nightmares. It felt like I'd really lived around that time. Freaked me out for a long time.
#3 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 02:27 PM

The movie "Jude" and the book _The Bluest Eye_.

Both were excellent, but both have scenes that have haunted me since I read/watched them.

I won't say what they were, don't want to spoil them, but anyone who has read or seen them should know.

Well, now that I think about it, almost every Toni Morrison book I've ever read has haunted me since. The movie "Beloved" did too.

flowersforyou.gif

#4 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 02:34 PM

The Mothman Chronicles. The fact that it was supposedly based on true stories creeps me out big time. Make believe horror is ok, but when it's supposedly based in fact? CREEEEEEEEEEEEPY!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#5 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 03:29 PM

The movie "Seven". I still have horrible thoughts when I think of that movie. I have been known to beg friends not to watch it.
#6 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 03:36 PM

I was going to say the movie Seven as well. I won't ever forget some of those scenes. Also "Pulp Fiction" - would have walked out but with two friends who liked it.

Books - the VC Andrews series "Flowers in the Attic" - especially the last ones.

-Normee

Normee, married to DH since 1997, mama to DD born 1999 and DD2 born 2001
#7 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 03:54 PM

Pet Cemetary.(If you haven't seen this movie, DON'T!! as a mother, you will regret it, trust me!!) The whole movie disturbed me. Also hated "It". Most of Stephen King's work will leave me rattled.
#8 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 04:27 PM

Anything with Jack Nicholson...not that he scares me in the "horror flick" sense, but I've had nightmares about that guy molesting me. He's CREEPY!
#9 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 04:38 PM

Wish I'd never read "I Know This Much Is True" by Wally Lamb (stopped trusting Oprah's book club after this one. But I LOVED his first book).

Wish I'd never seen "Happiness" DISGUSTING!
#10 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 04:39 PM

The book American Psycho.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 04:39 PM

AI (Artificial Intelligence) - just way too depressing. The whole movie just feels lonely and hopeless and I hate that I saw it. The ending is just the worst (from the viewpoint of a mother esp.) I don't mind so much the outright horror movies, cause they feel like just movies, but it's those creepy, semi-real movies that depress me.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#12 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 PM

"The Ring." I couldn't sleep for weeks.
#13 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 05:08 PM

I wish I had never watched the movie "Traffic" because the one part about the teenaged daughter who becomes a drug addict and a whore really, really bothers me.

Can't think of any books that I wish I hadn't read but the only book that scared me so much that I put it down was "The Shining" by Stephen King.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#14 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 05:14 PM

Jaws. I should never have seen that movie.
#15 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 05:23 PM

The Exorcist! I still have nightmares about Linda Blair from that one. I think because I saw it when I was a girl too--so I could really identify with her character. For years after that I use to worry about the devil so much...and I just felt like I was never safe.

I also remember seeing "Audrey Rose" (probably not that scary but I was only 12 when I saw it and it seemed very scary then).

As for reading--one time I read an article in a magazine (about a true story) about a teenaged couple who would kidnap teenaged girls and then sexually abuse then and then kill them in horrifying ways. Just know that these things really happened to these girls is just too much to take. I often lay awake at night thinking about that and wish I did not know the details. They were way too specific in the article.
#16 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 05:25 PM

I can't remember the name of the movie, but it's a Bruce Willis movie that followed The Sixth Sense. He plays this guys that is indestructible and has a sense of who will cause trouble. There's a scene in there where someone breaks into a house. Anyway, without ruining it for those that might want to see something this graphic and disturbing, I hated the movie & wish I had never seen it.
#17 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Banned

When I was a kid I read Sybil and it was very disturbing for my age.

The Bruce Willis movie was Unbreakable. It was creepy.

DB
#18 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 06:31 PM

"Blair Witch Project" - way too effective as a scary movie....it was like this is what scary movies would be like if they were real. Had trouble sleeping (we live in the woods) for a month.

A babysitter let me watch "Poltergeist" when I was about 12. Huge mistake. I was TERRIFIED for years of my life. I still get freaked out when I think about that clown scene.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#19 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 07:11 PM

Uh, Poltergeist (shudder, shudder) I had a horrific rape dream when I was young that involved the part of the movie when he drinks the beer and then vomits that guy back up. Nasty.
#20 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 07:29 PM

My parents never censored anything I watched as a child and actually at times made me go see movies I didn't want to see.
I am forever haunted by the Alien trilogy, Something Wicked this Way Comes, and The Shining.
I am so afraid to be anywhere in nature by myself, especially in the dark. Also, any movie involving water that you can't see into. Did anyone see the movie Gator. Terrifying!

On a side note, I think I gained a lot of compassion from watching Old Yeller and Bambi. Two of the reasons why I feel so much for animals.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#21 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 PM

Man Bites Dog. I heard it was funny, so I went to see it. I left very very disturbed. (The rape scene still goes through my head sometimes, and I wish I could get it out.)
#22 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 08:16 PM

Sally Field and Keifer Sutherland starred in some movie....I think it was called An Eye For an Eye or something but I can't remember????

Anyways there is a scene where he breaks into the house while the teenage daughter is on the phone with her mom and he brutally assaults her and the mom is hearing the whole thing. I am still tormented by the scene; it was absolutely gutwrenching.

I also had to put down The bonesetter's dauther by Amy Tan cuz it was approaching sexual assault and it sickened me.
#23 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 08:25 PM

As for movies:

Anything by Quentin Tarantino grosses me out--too much drugs and violence. Also I get EXTREMELY creeped out with movies about serial killers.

Anything about ventrioquist dolls scares the S#$% out of me :

I wish I had never seen ET. I do not like it and it is creepy--especially the part when they are in white suits and go to get testing.

The other one is Haunting at Hill House. I still get nightmares.

Hmmm..........this thread has inspired me to pat a thread in TAO

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
#24 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 08:40 PM

I wish I had never seen ET. I do not like it and it is creepy--especially the part when they are in white suits and go to get testing.
[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention ET. My 5 1/2 year old is like her daddy and watches scary movies. She has never had a problem with getting scared. But not ET the thing scares her so bad that she will not even go near a toy that I had of the little guy. Silly girl can quote Lord of the Rings and The Mummy but won't tuch ET with a ten foot pole.

I read Ane Rice when I was a teen. I loved her book but I had some really freaky dreams the entire time I was reading them.
#25 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Banned

I loved the Bonesetter's Daughter.

db
#26 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure I'm worse off for having seen Leaving Las Vegas, but I found it pretty disturbing. It took me a couple of days to get over it.
#27 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 09:32 PM

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover. A Peter Greenaway film. He is one sick f### - it was one of the most beautiful movies (costumes, music, cinematography, etc.) and yet one of the most horrifying movies I've ever seen.

I still haven't really forgiven dh for taking me to see it when we were in college - as he had already seen it and should have known I'd hate it!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#28 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
The Bruce Willis movie was Unbreakable. It was creepy.

DB
Yeah- that one! Absolutely hated it.
#29 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 10:27 PM

I never did see the movie, but when I was a little 'un I saw the late night movie trailer for "It's Alive" and it scared the ever-loving pea soup out of me. Still haven't quite gotten over it some three decades later!

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#30 of 468 Old 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM

The Shining

Leaving Las Vegas

Where the Heart Is (the book)

Vanished

wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page