Farenheit 9/11 what did you think - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know. And if I owned a video store you might have to go to my competition to rent The Passion.
#62 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow.

Anyone else going to this Town Hall meeting? I am planning to...dh and I are really curious to see how it will be orchestrated! We were so happy cause we asked MIL and FIL (who are divorced) to babysit...and both said they can't cause they are going to a MoveOn function! FIL has also been going into neighborhoods around the city we live in to register people to vote off the street. Go, FIL!
#63 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 09:57 PM

I probably won't... I am mildly curious but it is very likely to be at an inconvenient time because we are so out of sync with the rest of the country, clock wise.
#64 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 10:07 PM

i havn't read the whole thread but wanted to add on something i learned right after seeing f9/11. The Carlisle Group bought Lowe's cinemas. Talk about another way to censor movies.
I am outraged. I cried through most of the movie. All those children being destroyed, and for what?
I came home and hugged my son for a long time. I thought the facial expressions right before announcing the war on Iraq were....I don't have the words for it. But how dare that man? Gore and the no senator sig leaves me with no words.
Not very eloquent posting. I have to get my thoughts in order...I am just so angry.
#65 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 10:58 PM

I saw the movie Friday night to a sold out house. My dh and I went to the 10:00 pm show. We wished we went to the 4:30 show because we had trouble getting to sleep. We both felt sick to our stomachs. I am so disgusted by this administration. We had a country that came together after September 11th and they have ripped us apart. How can you not feel the pain for the families with lost ones? I know I wanted to come home and just hold my children.
I'll be at a house party tomorrow. Someone from the paper is going to be there as well.
#66 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 11:05 PM

i saw it this afternoon. i thought it was really well done. i'm too emotional to write much about it.

Quote:
Well GWB is going to hurt our children people! He already is. He is killing our friends, our neighbors, our husbands and wives, our sons and daughters - and he wants to send more to die. The bastard.
yes! ita. i kept thinking while watching it, how can anybody be for this, especially mothers?

i'm reading these...i'd like to say more when i don't have a wiggly baby on my lap and i can make some more sense.
#67 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 11:13 PM

Quote:
The thing is, I don't want to give MM a cent of my $$.......
What makes this most amusing is that the vast majority of MMs money goes to various groups to help your fellow americans. The man lives over a store. You hardly need to worry about him taking your $8 and going to town. :
#68 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

The thing about not seeing the movie and gathering the opinions of the conservative press is that it doesnt challenge your mind at all. I believe that it is fear that causes conservatives to attack MM, and this film with all the straws they can grasp and fear that keeps them from seeing the movie and trying to reconcile the messages with what they need to believe about the man they need to elect. I must admit that I derive a certain sense of relief from this, that maybe we are hitting close to home and might grab that White House after all. I understand having conservative ideals and a picture of how your country should be that fits with the republican agenda but I just cant understand how anyone can look at George W and say now there is a wonderful man, a true leader, a hero, a stand up guy. I understand fearing a change in regime, I cannot tell you the fear I felt on election night 2000 and throughout the past few years as environmental legislation was ripped to shreds and we began this crazy war and my worst fears for my country were realised. I want to be open minded to see that I too may react this way when presented with conservative media that republicans think is the truth. That my conservitive friends might see me as having the wool over my eyes afraid or unable to see the way things are and the way they should be. I try but as yet haven't succeded I'm still certain that I have found the truth and I am frightened that you cant see it.
#69 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCmommy
What makes this most amusing is that the vast majority of MMs money goes to various groups to help your fellow americans. The man lives over a store. You hardly need to worry about him taking your $8 and going to town. :
But still. I don't expect Mel Gibson is wringing his hands at the bank because he didn't get my money either... but in a very complicated world one of the things we can do is vote with our dollars. Probably the best way to do that though, now that I think of it, is NOT to just stay home but to go to a different movie.
#70 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 11:31 PM

I just came back from seeing the movie... almost all shows have been sold out here in Portland.. and it's showing in several theaters!

I'm still processing. It didn't tell me too much that i didn't know.. but when put in this format.. it floored me. i cried several times. I still want to cry. I hate GWB. I would say that I hate what he does, and I hate this admin... but honestly, I have to say I really do hate him. I've never hated anyone before. It makes me so sad.... and I can't fathom another four years with him and his regime in office. I will work my ass off to get him voted out! (although he was never really voted in.....)

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#71 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Banned

I knew it was going to be an interesting night when I tried to buy an extra ticket for my sister and all the shows were sold out. At my closest theatre, they stayed open all night, just showing and reshowing it. 4 screens. People waited in line for hours. There were still people queued up at 12:30 for the 1 am show. I was staggered, and it gave me some hope that not everyone is going to blindly follow this schmuck and his handlers in November. Please God.

I was so angry through most of it...no new info for me but presented en masse and with a story teller's art, extremely effective.

I agree with those who said "Columbine" was a better film, and that the Oregon coast parts were weak.

The Secret Service showing up outside the Saudi embassy was interesting. Who knew?

What the heck was going on in Georgie's wee little brain in those 7 minutes? That was fascinating, to me.

I really don't get people who are complacently sitting by, doing nothing, saying nothing, not educating themselves, just being sheeple, so that Bush and Co can line their pockets while people DIE.
#72 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:03 AM

I posted my response to seeing the film in the older thread called 'Farenheit 911'....
BUt to say it again, awesome! I agree that there were some kinda weak points but, I still loved it! I will continue now to finish reading this thread.
#73 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I thought the Oregon coast stuff was kinda weak, too.....I was kinda grateful for those 5-10 minutes though. :LOL My brain was in overdrive trying to process all the facts, file them, and commit them to long-term memory. It was a little brain down-time, though I don't think that is how it was intended.
#74 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:14 AM

At some point I want to try to list the segments.... because as I said there have been so many of them. There was new info to me. I did not know about the close ties between the Bush and Saud families. I also did not know that the Inauguration was so disrupted. (Not surprising, actually... I was relocating from CA to HI that week with a 5 month old. They could have Inaguarated Bart Simpson and I'm not sure I would have noticed!)
#75 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:23 AM

Okay, finished reading the thread....it's funny that the comparison that comes up is to Mel Gibson's "Passion". There have been several references to this....some silly sentimental gory Jesus movie.Totally irrelevant, except in it's 'controversial' nature. It just strikes me as...weird, somehow. Is there no grounds for intelligent discourse between opposing sides of this issue?

Bring it on!
#76 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:31 AM

Can you feel the wobble from the southern hemisphere? That's me, bouncing up & down in my seat 'cuz I can't find ANY information on when this movie might be released overseas- I'm guessing it could be months. Ah well, the price you pay.....

T snowy owl- glad to see you made it to Cali & are back on-line.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#77 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemum

T snowy owl- glad to see you made it to Cali & are back on-line.
Thanks, aussimum! BUt not as back online as I would like...only sporadically.

#78 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 12:59 AM

Dh and I were busy meeting MDC folks up in Door Co.

We will see it ASAP. My parents couldn't say enough good.

I do not care if Bush supporters do not go to see it. That is their choice. I really do not think it would make much of an impact on them if they did go. I know I couldn't be paid to sit through the Passion. I do hope that some of the facts MM is presenting will somehow, someday, penetrate through the minds of Bush supporters.

I am thrilled with the reception this movies is getting!

marg
#79 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 01:21 AM

Oh Marg, I can't wait to hear what you & HB think about it..... this is horrible.... it's going to be months..... what on earth was I doing bitching about the influx of American movies into Aus..... I didn't mean THIS one.... (where's that temper tantrum smilie when you need it... )

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#80 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursing Mother
So are you saying unless someone experiences something directly and does not have "first hand" experience on whether it is true or not, one should not form an opinion? (on basis of what others say, or what other information they read, listen, and hear?).
Yes, in this case that's exactly what I'm saying. You can't critique a movie without having seen it. Period.
#81 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
''They are possibly the dumbest people on the planet," Moore told Britain's Mirror newspaper recently, referring to his fellow citizens as a whole.
Dumb americans MM has total disdain for his country and his fellow citizens.
#82 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
So, that website wasn't biased or anything.

I happen to disagree with what MM is quoted as saying, which quotes were so short and obviously taken out of context.

I do not think the US holds the copyright on dumb people. We have our share of smart and dumb, just like any other country. Many of us have been duped. This very phrase was used in the movie, and the audience cheered when the statement was made.

We are a young, adolescent country. Our current leaders are short-sighted and money hungry and drunk on power. This kind of wrong-headed self-centered approach will have its fall.

No world empire lasts forever. Nor will ours. Look at England, the Goths, the Roman Empire, the Greeks, Babylonia. Some day we will no longer be a world power. Maybe we will become lesser--kind of like Canada?...Geez, I was optimistic without meaning to be!
#83 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 09:30 AM

I have heard the movie has been banned in Pennsylvania, can anyone confirm?
#84 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 10:04 AM

Just went to movietickets.com and I see its playing in Philadelphia. Parts of PA are very conservative. My dh is from North Central PA and I see it is not on the bill in a local 12 screener near his hometown.

We lived there for a couple years back when Life of Brian came out and it was banned in one town due to local pressure. I do not know if they could do the same with this film today.
#85 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:
His movie could incite (hatism, a link I posted earlier)) which I think we have enough of already.
Yes, I have had enough of the "hatism" Bush has incited in the M.E. Bush's "hatism" has caused and is causing mass destruction, death, torture, misery, and the rapid growth of terrorism that will affect us all.......

IF MM is inciting hatism against Bush and Co., I couldn't be happier! Maybe some of the pod people will wake up from their sleep,,,,,
#86 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 11:09 AM

I will probably go and see it. But only because I have a free ticket.
#87 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 AM

My dh and I took my mother to see F9-11 yesterday. We preordered our tickets and were able to avoid the LONG lines which were great to see....and an even longer winding line for the next showing when we were leaving.

Wow....It was a powerful, moving movie that I which every American could see...(hmm... maybe those people who can't afford a ticket and transportation should be offered the chance to see it as well). I left the theatre asking "What can I do?"

I fear for our nation and I fear for all our children. The Iraq scenes of innocent children and babies dead in the back of a pick-up after bombings, homes destroyed, and their relatives in disbelief of what is going on.... and the clip of Rummy describing how unbelievably accurate our targeting is made me sick.

The congress scene was also very disturbing...I would like to know if Gore had told the senate he didn't want to fight it out and just gave up ...or what the reasons were that not one Senator signed the congress' petitions.

Also...I wondered why I had never seen the protest of Bush's inaguration. Maybe I missed it? But..DH didn't see it, DM didn't see it and my in-laws who saw the movie over the weekend, also commented that they had not seen it.
It may not seem like a big deal...but WHY did we not see it!?

As far as the Oregon portion, though it was a little long it was very disturbing as well. One untrained (as far as anti-terrorism) state trooper to periodically drive up the coast (when he has time) to watch an entire coastline. And you can't take a cuticle scissors on board an aircraft but four (not five) books of matches and a butane lighter are acceptable? This is Home Land Security??! It's a joke. This administration is pulling our strings like puppets. Keep us scared...then make us feel safe and protected.

There is so much more that made my blood boil that I am sure will come to mind after I submit...but most has already been said. I hope this hasn't given to much of the movie away...you really do need the visuals.
#88 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 11:23 AM

http://bush2004.bloki.com/blog/

passing along this site for you all....
#89 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
Oh, yeah, gotta love newsmax.com.
Journalism at its finest.

snort, snort
#90 of 353 Old 06-28-2004, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona
http://bush2004.bloki.com/blog/

passing along this site for you all....
Thank you Mona! Very interesting!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page