Farenheit 9/11 what did you think - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont even have words to formulate a beginning to this thread I feel so shaken by this movie even more than I expected. but I wanted to start the discussion. My heart aches my mind feels too dull to take it all in. I came home in a fog feeling so unbelievably powerless and just cried as I nursed my dear son imagining him outside of my protection. I am so angry.
#2 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 12:11 AM

I am off to see it in an hour. It sounds as if it was very powerful. I'll post my response in the morning.
#3 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 12:14 AM

s momma!
so-it's not the 'feel good' movie of the year?
sorry-my attempt to get a smile from you...
remember-you are not powerless!!
you are raising the future!
Share with us when you can what, why and all that! o.k.? s:
#4 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 01:54 AM

I should have scrolled down, I started a thread too.

OOOPPPPPS!
#5 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure when I will. My only concern is that I will feel emotionally stirred up and angry, but I don't know how much of that is deliberate manipulation. I understand that it is an opinion piece, but I'm easily worked up.
#6 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! That was a very powerful movie. I cried...I don't know how many times. I thought the Oregon coast stuff was too long and kind of weak. There was a moment in DC when I really thought the woman from Flint, Mrs Lipscomb was gonna slap that woman who came up shouting that the whole thing was staged. Maybe I am projecting. I thought the opening montage of the lead 'characters' getting made up was stunning. The look on the face of the one congressman...the second he spoke to, I think? brought the house down in the Honolulu theater I was in. The scene of Gore running the Senate was unbelievable. Simply staggering. Local crowd cheered for our own Patsy Mink, the only person shown (though possibly not the only person who spoke) at that meeting who was not black. I often wonder if 20 or 30 years from now our kids will be asking us what it was like to witness a bloodless coup.

I love Michael Moore right now. He said about the military exactly what I have said all along... we owe it to them, to their dedication and willingness to sacrifice... not to use them badly. Not to commit that sacrifice and dedication to a cause based on empty lies.
#7 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
I don't know when I'll get to see it...want to though.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#8 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 09:39 AM

I got an email asking me to edit. What's the use in chopping it up? I will just remove it.
#9 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 10:55 AM

Honest Bitches Unite!

I don't think you should wait to see F 9/11, we need your anger now. Let's change this world we live in, let's "smoke him out."
#10 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:03 AM

I am sure it is completely un-PC but hey since when did I care about that? Hurray Rose Cottage for such a powerfully honest post! I agree with Levi's mom that you should go see the movie. I went yesterday and have been applauding Micheal Moore yet again since. What an incredible movie. Kudos to him for his courage and persistance in getting the truth out there. Information is power.

"There is no belief, however foolish, that will not gather its faithful adherents who will defend it to the death." -Isaac Asimov read.gif

#11 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:09 AM

#12 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks, FRC, for saying it.
#13 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:50 AM

Wow. I feel like I am in the minority here, but DH and I were not that impressed with the movie. There were some immensely powerful moments, and a lot of what needed to be said was said. But I didnt feel that the ending was well done at all. At least in the theater I was in, people had strong emotional reactions to the whole thing, but after the ending people just sort of shrugged their shoulders.

We are Michael Moore fans but were disappointed. There wasnt any information in the movie that we didnt already know, and the ending was weak. I agree with almost everything he said at the ending except for the fact that he fell into the cliche about our soldiers needing to fight for our freedom, as if we were attacked because we have freedoms, which is ludicrous to me.

And to FRC--Thank you for saying it.
#14 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:54 AM

Wow! FRC. It is about time someone stood up and said what Bush really is.
#15 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 12:01 PM

My 25 year old son just called. He went to see F9-11 last night at the 10:00 showing because all the others were sold out. And we live in NW Louisiana so I was impressed that so many are going to see it.

He said he was a tad disappointed in it for one reason. MM talked about how the war in Afganistan was all about oil as well and he didn't necessarily believe that could be proven -not now anyway. He doesnt readily agree with presenting things as fact that cant be proven to be. I don't know WHERE he got that! Other than that he liked it. Thought I would too. But probably should wait for the DVD

Also he was very touched by the family MM followed who lost their son in the war. Too many stories like that one.

Just thought I would share his view.
#16 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 12:19 PM

http://www.fahrenheit911.com/

link for the movie. i am hoping to see it soon. Want to go today, but not sure if I will be able to.
#17 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Well I felt moved by the film. It wasn't so much that the information was new but that was all woven together so gracefully. news snipets and breaking stories are so hard to catch and put together for me these days. The images of life in Bagdad just before the war began were amazing. Young mothers laughing children in the park so alive so unlike the barren dusty man filled pictures we are fed on tv. The paralyzed boy president who sat trapped for 7 minutes waiting for someone to tell him what to do. And I know it is not an unbiased view but there are factual events that cannot be avoided or excused. How can any mother with a heart opened wide by the beauty of her children possibly support such a disgusting violent self serving machine that is the Bush White House. I am sickened by the brainwashed nature of those followers and feeling so intolerant of the lame Rush inspired one liners they pull out as explaination for their inexcuseable support of a war that has killed the dearly loved children of thousands of mothers.
#18 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaismom
I am sickened by the brainwashed nature of those followers and feeling so intolerant of the lame Rush inspired one liners they pull out as explaination for their inexcuseable support of a war that has killed the dearly loved children of thousands of mothers.
Beautifully said!

I am aching to see this movie! It's not playing in our dinky little theater. I'm going to try to talk dh into going to Huntington or Columbus on his next day off to see it with me. I cannot wait until it comes out on DVD. Or maybe I should say, I WON'T wait!

Tracie (bows to FRC)
#19 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 01:06 PM

kaismom . I hear you mama.
#20 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 03:03 PM

I saw it. I cried a lot. My reaction at many times was to sob. I wanted to throw things at W. on the screen. I wanted to hiss and to boo him. But hissing and booing an image doesn't do anything. In terms of a film, I did think Bowling for Columbine was better made and I can see a few points in which MM could be attacked. The chronology of some scenes and even the location of some clips was not explicit. But I don't personally mind so much. I suppose that the timing could have made some of the things being said more poignant. There were some things that weren't mentioned, but for the most part, I already knew about it all. It really broke my heart. The Iraqis and their dead children, the Americans and their dead children. As a mother, FRC, you're right - I don't see how anyone can't ultimately consider our children. My child is like my skin, and having him be anywhere but near me is traumatic. So I always always always now think of the mothers and their children. I guess Laura Bush doesn't feel that way about her children. Obviously her husband feels that way, but only about money.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#21 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 07:59 PM

anna kiss. I visited your blog. Your son is beautiful! Both before and after. Just beautiful. I know just how you feel about your child. Like he is your skin. That feeling never goes away even after they leave home and start their own lives.
#22 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 08:54 PM

I cried too. Most of what I wanted to post has been already done so well by Kama'aina mama and of course FRC. I just want everyone to see this film. I am just sick of a two party system that acts like one, but puts each other down constantly. And yes, the scene with Gore preciding over the senate with all the african-american representatives was nauseating to watch-IMO. Not one senator backed them up.

I now understand why this film recieved a 20 minute standing ovation.

November 2004-end of an error!!!
#23 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 09:04 PM

I've been thinking about this more, and becoming more and more upset with MM.

One of my big complaints about the film is the ending. I do understand the fear of having our troops not trust us. But have we forgotten Vietnam?? We lied to them then too. And then sent them to Iraq and they went (some less willingly than others). So the point just holds no water with me--history shows that we can mess up royally and the troops still trust us.

The second issue that I had was actually mentioned in a previous post as something that they liked about the film (goes to show that we all see things differently). I really disliked the footage of Iraq before the bombing. Yes, I am sure that all of that happened and that there were happy Iraqi people. But the sanctions were devastating to the country. Iraq was not a shiny happy place before the bombing. And we STILL didnt have the right to invade. I thought that MM was making this a black and white issue (Iraq was good til we came and made it bad) when it is not a black and white issue at all (Iraq had serious problems yet we should not have gone and bombed the country anyways).

As I think about this I get angrier and angrier at Michael Moore. I understand that he is a reformist and conformist rather than a radical who wants change at the most basic level. I think that is where most of my frustration comes from.
#24 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 10:19 PM

I saw it this afternoon, and left feeling so.. disturbed. I can see why Republicans lobbied so hard to keep it out of theaters. I don't know how anyone could watch it and still support Bush. It made me happy to sit in a packed theater full of people who laughed at all the right places, cried at all the right places, and cheered at the end.

To me, the most telling part was Bush sitting in that classroom when he was told about the second WTC attack. You could just see the fear and confusion and cluelessness in his eyes. Yessiree.. that's our leader!

I think this is a film that everyone should see. Except anyone who's lost a family member or friend in Iraq. Some of the scenes from over there were too much even for me, and I don't know anyone who's been there.

There's so much more to comment on, but I'm still processing. If you haven't seen it yet... DON'T WAIT!!!
#25 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery.
MM LIES
#26 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 10:52 PM

FRC... you are very talented at describing your inner most feelings....THAT....is how I feel. Yet, I've become a little powerless feeling about it all, like he's going to steal the election again anyways...HELLO...it's a proven fact!!!! That is so incredibly wrong. What do Bush supporters think about this movie, are they going to even hear the other side????? Please someone that is a Bush supporter, go see the movie and tell us what you think afterwards, please.... and I'm not saying this in a taunting way. I'm terribly confused and saddened that a whole bunch of people in the US are making poor judgements on who they support. What is wrong with me??? Am I going crazy?? This is very scary, that people don't realize the magnanimous amount of damage that the Bush administration has done to entire universe. I will not get to see this movie until it comes on DVD, as I live in MS, I'd be the only person in the theatre!!! Blockbuster will not carry it as well.
#27 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:02 PM

SQ... The title of the thread is what did YOU think of the film. Not what did some hired commentator think of it. So Laura.... what did YOU think of the film? Or are you posting a thread where you have nothing to add since you haven't seen it?
#28 of 353 Old 06-26-2004, 11:06 PM

nak
in response to the post about lies, thought this was kind of interesting.

Quote:
Moore has reigned in his pomp and circumstantial evidence and let loose with a fusillade of unassailable facts – as reported in last Sunday’s New York Times, Moore, taking no chances, hired a veritable army of fact-checkers and has let it be known that he will unleash a similar army of legal pit bulls on anyone he feels makes libelous statements about the film and its conclusions. (Which should make for a very entertaining week of The O’Reilly Factor, if nothing else.)
from the austin chronicle review of the movie:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gbase...m=oid%3A217267
#29 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 AM

SQ

everything else removed for it's all-around snarkiness and non-response to the OP - KM you're welcome A TON

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#30 of 353 Old 06-27-2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcimom
oh so now we're going to actually expect people to respond to the OP? hmmm, doesn't seem to happen that way in other threads, does it? oh, but that's okay b/c it's the left invading the right, right?

SQ you don't need to see $hit to know that's what it is. you can smell it from a mile away.
I'm sorry... are you talking to me??? If you are... then yes... I am asking people to stick to the OP. And if you can find a single post I have made in opposition in a thread that was clearly intended for support/ like minded folks, whether that was clearly stated or even only implied I will eat my words. All I asked was that if you want to discuss a movie you A) see it and B) post your own opinion in your own words. Which is exactly what SQ, in my recollection asked in a thread she started a while back about a Dr Laura book... so I thought she of all people would understand the request. I'm not asking you to only post in agreement... just to refrain from posting of you have nothing to say within the context of the discussion.

Thanks a ton.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page