Garrison Keeler - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-24-2002, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else madly in love with him??

We went on a car trip of doom and I checked out about 6 "News from Lake Wobegon" tapes..

he is too funny..

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2 of 21 Old 07-24-2002, 09:35 AM

We love him-listen to Prairie Home Companion every Saturday night. Even the kids appreciate him!
#3 of 21 Old 07-24-2002, 11:37 AM

abimommy-
check out his kids book- Cat, You Better Come Home, it's one of our favorites!
#4 of 21 Old 07-26-2002, 03:06 PM

We took a wonderful video out of the library, "Johnny Appleseed," narrated by GK.

I think I'll put that on the "kids video" thread

- Amy
#5 of 21 Old 07-26-2002, 04:32 PM

He is wonderful - a brilliant storyteller. I heard that he does his long story in Prairie Home Companion each week (the Lake Wobegon story) without notes. Is that true? Has anyone seen the show live? If its true he is just more impressive. Yomorrow is the joke show!!! Yahooo!
#6 of 21 Old 07-26-2002, 07:10 PM

I've been to about 5 or 6 of his live Prairie Home Companion shows in St. Paul. it's really fun to see what goes on onstage, especially how Tom Keith does all those sound effects! I don't recall Garrison ever using notes during News from Lake Wobegon...amazing. Which brings me to my question. I'm a native Minnesotan so I identify with so much of what he says about Lutherans feeling guilty , Norwegian bachelor farmers, and the people he describes, so I just wonder what people in other parts of the country think of all this, or are they just scratching their heads? I think it's a tribute to Garrison's talent as a storyteller, that he can make anyone anywhere feel intimate with the characters he is creating and the stories he is telling, no matter where they come from.

The music is awesome too...Guys All Star Shoe Band rocks!
#7 of 21 Old 07-26-2002, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I am from Oklahoma so the bit about the Norweigan bacholor farmers went over my ehad at first but I went to school with some Lutherans..

Besides, a lot of his descriptions really apply to a lot of small churches..

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 21 Old 08-05-2002, 02:26 AM

I am excited to seek out and find G.K.'s kids book. He is such a gifted storyteller. I have been listening to his voice since I was much younger on my parent's stereo. And now I am sharing him with my children! I never get tired of the humor on his program. And aren't we all fortunate that there is now live streaming video! Not to mention the musicians! Did anyone hear the program not too long ago with guest Al Franken, hilarious!!!!!
#9 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 01:17 PM

I am a biased Minnesotan in love with Garrison forever. His quiet voice. Ahhh.

I, too, wonder about his popularity among people who couldn't possibly "relate" like us Minnesotans - e.g., for a while N.Y.C. couldn't get enough of him. And of course his show travels all over the place.

Any favorite quotes? I like how he reminds us Minnesotans, when the weather is pristine, that it was "a day like today that the settlors came across the St. Croix and decided they'd found paradise and had to stay. Otherwise there would be no humans in Minnesota."
#10 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 01:22 PM

I never get tired of humming/ singing along to the opening tune! And of course the closing. mtn.mama
#11 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 02:03 PM

We LOVE PHC and listen to the show every week--dh sets the radio to record it if we are going to be out. We have seen the show live twice--once in NYC and once in Portland, Me---it was incredible and I dont remember him having notes for the news. My favorites 'bits' are the Cafe Beouf and the Ketchup Advisory Board commercials. Oh and the annual joke show

edited to fix my emoticon
#12 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 02:10 PM

Oh yeah I wanted to add----Doesnt he kinda look like Oscar the Grouch??? They couldve been seperated at birth!
#13 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 02:54 PM

My husband introduced me to Prairie Home Companion when we were dating.

We try not to miss a single weekly show. We usually listen to it on NPR on Sunday mornings. We start the day off right listening to Garrison. He cracks me up.

I loved the story about the man who sabataged the neighbors prize tomatos. It was too funny. And the sound effects too much. My husband tells me I need to get the ketchup out if I'm in a bad mood. That cracks me up. The ketchup advisory board.

Karen
#14 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 05:14 PM

I recently found two childrens' books of his (the cat one and another one) at bookcloseouts.com - great prices! They haven't arrived yet, but I'm glad to read such positive comments.
#15 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 05:33 PM

I, too, am a lover of the Powder Milk Biscuit and Ketchup Advisory Board "ads." I usually catch the replay on Sundays.

I'm not a big fan of his singing, but I love the story telling. I think my all-time favorite was his remarks on deer hunting, and how it really was a really humane thing, since the deer is felled so suddenly, with its mind full of thoughts of potential sex with lady deer, and the smell of deer urine, and all that! I worked briefly in a tiny town in North Central WI, and edited books for a company owned by a 65+-yr-old Norwegian bachelor. The town has a holiday lutefisk dinner...and most of the non-townies who worked there often quipped from A Prairie Home Companion.

And, as nice as it all sounds in the stories, I only lasted 6 mos in that particular small-town culture! :
#16 of 21 Old 09-09-2002, 05:46 PM

Count me in. My sweetie and I have been listening to PHC for, well, ever since we moved in together way back in, uh, 1984. In our TVless household, the radio is a primary source of entertainment and we've enjoyed introducing friends and family to PHC over the years...admittedly a bunch of the Minnesota/Lutheran stuff went over my Latino/So Cal head but the years have tuned me into the culture (plus my sweetie was raised Lutheran) and now I laugh along with everyone.

I LOVE the music --and his wide-ranging guests...plus the occasional English Majors of America and, of course, Bertha's Kitty Boutique.

Meow.
#17 of 21 Old 09-10-2002, 09:07 AM

How could I forget about the English Majors? I was an English major!
#18 of 21 Old 09-11-2002, 01:07 AM

Don't forget the Duct Tape ads!:LOL mtn.mama
#19 of 21 Old 09-11-2002, 02:17 AM

and Guy Noir...
#20 of 21 Old 09-11-2002, 11:25 AM

Guy Noir is just too funny.

I had heard last year that Garrison was retireing. I really hope not. He is the only show of it's kind now.
#21 of 21 Old 09-17-2002, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've been getting the CD's with the stories on them. Good listening any time day or night!

I think my favorite story has to be the one in which the owner of the turkey plant sold, and the employees set him up with this lovely vest....that a big ole tom turkey was in love with. This was interspersed with another story in which the woman setting up the holiday dinner set the guys downstairs to watch "the game" and in actuality it was a tape of the last year's game, so that they'd be done and ready to eat when SHE was ready for them to be.:LOL The bit where she impresses them by predicting a forward pass is priceless!

If we forget on Saturday evening, we catch it on another public radio station on Sunday afternoon. Even if we don't forget on Saturday evening....

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page