Thoughts on "Farenheit 9/11" from the right - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 10-25-2004, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This may have been done..........I've been away so sorry if this is a repeat........

We recently (FINALLY!) watched Farenheit 9/11 and I was really taken with how NOT in your face Moore was with this movie.

Many right wingers we talk to (my family included) refuse to watch it. They just say they don't need to or something to that effect.

I *personally* feel EVERY American should see this movie before voting..........

But I'm curious....I know we have right wing mamas here......would you watch it? Why or why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-26-2004, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
janerose's hubby here --

While I wouldn't call myself right-wing, I do agree with and understand some of the right-wing ideas. I wasn't planning on watching Fahrenheit 9/11 at all. After seeing the distortion portrayed in Bowling for Columbine, I didn't feel that I would get much out of it.

My wife wanted to see it, however, and I kind of went along for the ride. We've only watched the first half so far, but I was *shocked* at quite a bit of what I saw, particularly as the media is brought into it. Eggs thrown at Bush's limo? Did this really happen? Why the heck wasn't that on the evening news? I suppose I could have just missed it, but I've asked other people, and they don't recall hearing about it either.

Again, I don't really consider Moore's portrayal of an event as necessarily accurate, so I wouldn't state what I saw in the movie as fact without verifying the claims myself. But if the news isn't reporting the facts, where do you go to verify it?

On a side note, that's one of the right's big complaints with the media in general, and often the cause of the feelings of "liberal bias" in the media. There are some things that the news just won't report. There are other things that will be blown way out of proportion. For those things that are important to conservatives, it seems that many of their ideals are ignored or marginalized. While I don't really feel that there is a "liberal bias" per se in the media (more of a corporate bias), it's interesting to see events being omitted in favor of a right-wing politician.

Back to the point, I would recommend conservatives to watch this movie. For what I've seen so far, it's nothing about what I thought it would be.

Just my $0.02!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page