Book Challenge 2005: January - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 222 Old 12-31-2004, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here it is the Book Challenge 2005 Thread. I first want to thank all of you who participated in the 2004 thread. I was so overjoyed by the number of responses and all the great book ideas. Lets make 2005 even better. Some of you have PMd me with your name and the amount you would like to read for 2005. I don’t think that everyone needs to have a goal, it just works better for me to motivate myself to read more. So please if you want post your goal and/or where you are at in your goal on your first post here, and if you have no goal well as always post your awesome book ideas. And again thanks for all the support and great reads!

SoccerMom: I would like to read 220 books by Dec 2005, I am up to #84 ( I am extending my effort from this past year which was 100 books and as you can see I didn't meet that goal)

Kofduke would like to read 30 this year!

Grumo would like to read 50 ( I think??? ) please PM me if I am wrong I deleted your PM by accident.

So that is it. I will post my first book probably in a day or two, it is called Man and Wife and it is really good. Will be back to post that.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#2 of 222 Old 12-31-2004, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
hmmm.... i would like to participate but most of the books i read are, um, brain fluff (to put it mildly). would that matter?

LB (who loves trashy novels)

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 222 Old 12-31-2004, 10:41 PM

Well, I think I will make mine a modest goal. Say, 20 books in the year 2005. I might've read five books in 2004 if I was lucky. : I got Bob Dylan's Chronicles for Christmas and read a few pages last night and realized I really miss reading so thanks for starting this soccer mom!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#4 of 222 Old 12-31-2004, 10:56 PM

Come on mamas, join us!
#5 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 01:13 AM

I'll set my beginning goal at 100 books by this time next year. A shame, I finished a book today, but I won't count it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Might be fun and maybe I can send a prize to the person with the most books read?
In that case, my new goal is 250.

#7 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 01:52 AM

I think my goal will be 250 as well. I am not sure but I think I was pretty close to that this year. (DH thinks I should add 50 to 100 to that number - LOL)

I have to figure out how I want to keep track of the books and including my non-fiction (ie crafting and cookbooks).

LB, I read a WIDE variety of books a mixture of literature to the trashy. For example, this past week I read Incubus Dreams, Aunt Dimity Snowbound, A Dilly of a Death, Visions in Death and am in the middle of Pride & Prejudice. I tend to get into "kicks" as well, trends of mysteries, sci-fi, paranormal fiction, historic periods or concentrate on absorbing everything a newly discovered writer ever wrote...

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#8 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 01:57 AM

Oh, I am SO in on this.

I don't get to read as much as I would like because DD is very active, but let me set my initial goal at 100. Shouldn't be hard as I picked up 4 or 5 from the library already. Now I just need to start a list somewhere....
#9 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 10:22 AM

I'm in !

I'll set my goal for 75. I just need to figure out a way to read and knit at the same time.

I plan on starting Middlesex today.

winner.jpg  homeschool.gif familybed1.gif    happily married mom to one son jammin.gif and one daughterbiggrinbounce.gif!
#10 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 11:28 AM

My goal is 100.
#11 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 12:56 PM

OK, I'm in! I read quickly, when I have the time to read!

My goal is 200 for 2005.

Since I'm a little worse for the wear from last night (thanks to the party thread) I'm going to start off with something light. "Sin and Sensibility" by Suzanne Enoch. Nothing like a good blouse-ripper (as my dad calls them) to start the year off right.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#12 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 01:17 PM

I'm in - I just love the recommendations I get here. I'm not setting a goal because I already read before doing just about anything else but I am very interested to find out how many books I do read so I'm going to keep count this year.

Soccermom - perhaps you should restate the "rules" (for lack of better word) that when we post the books we read, we give a short synopsis of the book.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#13 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Why is the library not open today? Wouldn't it be the perfect day for that? Everyone has New Years' Resolutions that they want to get books about.

#14 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I am so happy to see how many ppl we will have, and I am sure that more will join after the weekend. LB I love a good bodice ripper myself, my fav at this moment is Chick Lit as they call it but I add a Jane Austen for the brain once in a while! :LOL

cathe great idea about the "rules" Not really rules, but just a help to the rest of us. When you post the title and author please post either a synopsis of your own or, like I do, use the one from amazon. Also what I do to keep track is right on the thread I put the # of the book that I have read, then the title and the author and so on. This way I go to my last post and know what the last number was and what I am up to for my goal, sometimes I just remember. For me it is a little easier because on my other board I have my own private thread that is just MY list of books, so it's a bit easier to get to my last post. But then you can always keep a tally on a Word file as well. I do that too, yes a bit anal :LOL but I like to look back and see what I have accomplished.

I would love if the library were open today thankfully I went on Thursday and got a bunch so that I would not be stuck.

Ok well happy reading and good luck!!!!

#15 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 06:19 PM

I'm back as well, not setting a goal, just reading as much as I can when i can - will be interesting to see what that amounts too...currently reading "Plot Against America", somewhat "trendy" right now, good so far and I'm interested to see where it goes...will let you know.
#16 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 PM

I'm joining! I'm setting a realistic (for me) goal of 52 books. Today I'm starting The Dirty Girls Social Club, which is self-described as "A vibrant, can't-put-it-down novel of six friends -- each one an unforgettable woman in her late twenties -- and the complications and triumphs in their lives."

So I'll get back to you, hopefully within a week!

-Erin

p.s. I'm already getting ideas; I just added Middlesex to my library hold list! Thanks.

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#17 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm in, but no goal set yet. Lately I haven't made it past the first chapter of most of the books I pick up...ennui sets in, and I toss the book aside. I guess my short term goal is to make it through an entire book (lame, lame, oh so lame). My sister just gave me a list of some of the books she enjoyed lately, so maybe one of those will click.
#18 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 09:33 PM

This sounds like fun Plus, I need to get reading more - ever since I have learned how to knit that has been taking up most of my free time!! When I was younger (and unemployed) I used to read a book a day! Im always on the look out for new and interesting books to read!

I will set my goal at 100 books for 2005.

My first book will be The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (since I got it out of the library weeks ago and should really put down the knitting and get reading :LOL)
#19 of 222 Old 01-01-2005, 09:35 PM

Am I supposed to write what it's about now or when Im done :
#20 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 03:47 PM

ahhhh, finished my first one yesterday.

"Sin and Sensibility" by Suzanne Enoch

Boy, I'm almost embarrassed to post the synopsis! : Trashy novels are my secret vice.

from Amazon:
Young Ladies Just Want To Have Fun . . .

Unfortunately Eleanor Griffin has three strapping brothers to frighten away any beau they deem unsuitable.She knows she’s expected to marry eventually -- probably to some staid, crusty old lord -- but until that dark day dawns, Nell intends to enjoy herself. However, brother Sebastian, Duke of Melbourne, isn’t about to let his sister run completely wild, and asks his best friend, the Marquis of Deverill, to keep a close eye on the spirited lovely.

Could any chaperone be less qualified -- yet moreappreciated -- than Valentine Corbett? Here is a man as sinful as he is attractive, a notorious rake, gambler,and pursuer of women whom Nell has fancied sincegirlhood. Alas, the irresistible rogue seems uncharacteristically determined to be honorable, despite the passionate longing in his gaze. And Nellmust tread carefully, for she has promised to immediately wed whomever her siblings choose should so much as a hint of scandal arise . . .

yes, it's brain fluff, and yes I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I'm currently reading 3 others, depending on my mood: "Vaccines: Are They Really Safe & Effective?" by Neil Z. ******, "My Own Private Hero" by Julianne MacLean, and "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right" by Al Franken.

as you can see, my reading tastes are rather eclectic.

chicken3.gif

#21 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid
Am I supposed to write what it's about now or when Im done :
Write about it when you are done.

#1: "How I paid for college: A novel of sex, theft, friendship and musical theater" by Marc Acito.

Well the name alone intrigued me so I picked it up from the library. If you like David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs, you will like this book. It is a fiction story of a teenage boy trying to earn money to go to Julliard when his father refuses to pay. (Dad wants him to study something practical like business). However, don't be fooled - this is not a kids book - just like Running with Scissors there are some sexual stuff here - both homo and hetrosexual - but not serious stuff - funny, irreverant, laught out loud outrageous, etc. stuff. Very fun book - even more fun if you are into musicals like I am.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#22 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 07:54 PM

#1 Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

Elizabeth Bennet is the perfect Austen heroine: intelligent, generous, sensible, incapable of jealousy or any other major sin. That makes her sound like an insufferable goody-goody, but the truth is she's a completely hip character, who if provoked is not above skewering her antagonist with a piece of her exceptionally sharp -- but always polite -- 18th century wit. The point is, you spend the whole book absolutely fixated on the critical question: will Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy hook up?

I so love this book everytime I read it. I am off to start Emma and even have a "Jane Austen" Mystery that I grabbed from the library.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#23 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 PM

I am so excited to find this thread! I was just reading the Book Challenge 2004 thread and got many, many ideas from it.

I will set my goal at 52 books for this year. I think thats about all I can handle!

#1 - Beloved by Toni Morrison

In the troubled years following the Civil War, the spirit of a murdered child haunts the Ohio home of a former slave. This angry, destructive ghost breaks mirrors, leaves its fingerprints in cake icing, and generally makes life difficult for Sethe and her family; nevertheless, the woman finds the haunting oddly comforting for the spirit is that of her own dead baby, never named, thought of only as Beloved...
#24 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe
I'm not setting a goal because I already read before doing just about anything else but I am very interested to find out how many books I do read so I'm going to keep count this year.

Me, too. Now I'm all excited. I better go to the library tomorrow.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#25 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

# 85 for me!

I just finished a great book called Man and Wife by Tony Parsons. I really liked it and was mad when I realized it is a sequel, now I will have to read the first one second! It was an I can't put it down read about second marriage. Here is the amazon synopsis
Harry Silver is ready to try again at living "happily ever after." It won't be easy: not when he has to juggle his wife, his ex-wife, his son, his stepdaughter, his work, and his new wife's fast-growing career. Did Harry commit to marriage to Cyd too soon after his split with Gina? Can you love -- really love -- a child who is not your own? Can you be a good father to a child you only see on the weekends? When Harry meets a woman who makes him question all these things and more, his tangled web becomes even more knotty.

A brilliant sequel to the international bestseller Man and Boy, Tony Parsons' Man and Wife is a story about families -- and love -- in the new century, written with his trademark humor, passion, and superb storytelling that have made millions across the globe laugh and cry

#26 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 10:49 PM

"Vaccines - Are They Really Safe and Effective?" by Neil Z. ******

Well, I think the title gives a pretty good synopsis in itself! This is one of several books on the subject that I just got in from Amazon. I liked how he explains the both the dangers of the disease and the vax for that disease. There are some parts of the book where I wanted a little more detail (it's a quick read) but he provides plenty of references that I can follow up on, if I ever get around to it.

chicken3.gif

#27 of 222 Old 01-02-2005, 11:29 PM

#1 The Blue Bottle Club by Penelope Stokes

This is a novel about four women now in their eighties who made a vow to pursue their dreams when they were teenagers and put them into a blue glass bottle. Most of it takes place in the 1920s and 30s. A reporter finds the bottle in a historic house that's going to be demolished and goes around the country finding the four women and hearing their stories. Not terribly intellectual but it was a good read.

#28 of 222 Old 01-03-2005, 02:53 AM

Hmmmm, ok, I'm in....do books we are currently reading count if we finish them after 2005 begins? For example, I am in the beginning of rereading Lord of the Rings (I last read it in 5th grade) so will this count? (I actually have a few books in process both non-fiction and fiction so I guess this question applies to them all.

As far as my goal...hmmm, I read a lot, but I will start out with 100 with a goal to go higher.....)

One thought about this thread becoming unmanageable with the number of books being read and ppl participating is that we could create a Yahoo Group or a board at a place like ezBoards where we could each create our own databases and then just post our new ones, that way we can all go back and see what the others have read without having to sift through a zillion messages. Just a thought....anyway.....
#29 of 222 Old 01-03-2005, 12:39 PM

Well, I am counting Daughter of God as #1, as I read more than 1/2 of it after New Year's Eve. It was a very interesting read, makes you want to look up a lot of bits to find out if it is fact or fiction like The DaVinci Code. Very Goddess oriented.

from Amazon:
"The Nazi plunder of Europe's art and antiquities during WWII sets the stage for a thriller spun around a religious coverup so devastating it could topple the Vatican and crush Western religion. A dying, repentant Nazi, Willi Max, calls renowned American art broker/historian Zoe Ridgeway, to Switzerland, where he reveals his cache of looted treasure, hiring her to catalogue and return it to the owners or heirs. Shortly after she tells her husband, Seth--an ex-L.A. cop turned comparative religion professor at UCLA--about the exciting job, she is kidnapped from their Zurich hotel room. The dismissive Swiss police do little to search for Zoe, so Seth takes charge when he reads that Willi Max died when a fire demolished his mansion just hours after Zoe met with him. Seth discovers that the destroyed treasures are only a fraction of the spoils stashed in a booby-trapped salt mine since WWII. One religious relic's very existence was kept secret by the Vatican for centuries: it's a burial shroud clearly showing the image of a young girl, a second messiah. This "daughter of God" was killed, along with her entire village, in the time of Constantine, because her sex and her healing powers threatened the fledgling Christian religion. When the Nazis found out about the shroud, Hitler used the relic to blackmail Pope Pius into silence about Nazi atrocities. Seth has sole access to the salt mine and soon the head of Vatican intelligence, the Russian mafiya and other sinister agents give murderous chase. Perdue's speedy tale of greed and power boasts strong heroes and villains with credible motivation. He steps nimbly between Switzerland and L.A., putting Zoe in peril, but with the wits to save herself. A valiant cadre of aging war survivors add color to the cast."

I've started reading A Midwife's Tale and Book 5 of the Gaurdians of Ga'Hoole: The Shattering (a young adult book.)

#1: Daughter of God
#30 of 222 Old 01-03-2005, 01:22 PM

#2 Singing Bird by Roisin McAuley.

Mother of adopted girl decides to try to find birth parents of her daughter. Mother too is adopted and waited too long to find her parents and doesn't want same thing to happen to her daughter. Takes place mostly in Ireland. A so-so book - interesting twist of ending but writing not that great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page