Lord of the Rings Version M.1 t-24hrs! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 01-19-2002, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yammer/Dov: A friend bought us Totoro for our little girl, knowing how we eschewed Disney as her worldview. It is wonderful, as is Kiki's Delivery Service, and for all the reasons Eberyt cites. it just feels like my childhood more than the conflict-laden crap that kids are fed today.
Yogamama and others: I was scared of the violence, but way more scared when they were trying to escape from the Balrog and had to climb up high and lonely swaying bridges in Moria. Being really familiar with the story, I knew when the icky parts were coming, and I'm not sure I want to see more of the Uruk-Hai.
But like all "true" stories, violence leads to real pain and loss. That's why watching war movies is so painful. I've never made it through Schindler's List, for example...
Definitely not for kids tho'. The wringwraiths are the stuff of nightmare.
#32 of 34 Old 01-21-2002, 04:54 AM

Yammer you are of course correct...it *IS* a very nice translation...I guess it is that Arwen is never represented as a fighter type even in the appendixes...

anyone who saw the cartoon could hardly complain about Peter Jackson's version....

The ringwraiths *WERE* really scary I was pretty worried about the hobbits making it a few times and I am a pretty big Tolkein fan....*L

Not all those who wander are lost 
#33 of 34 Old 01-21-2002, 09:19 AM

I agree that the scenes involving Arwen were kind of cheesy. I'm very curious to see how the second movie deals with Eowyn. In the books, she's a much more interesting character than Arwen. And she's supposed to fall in love with Aragorn. (Who wouldn't? Viggo Mortensen is a hottie!)
#34 of 34 Old 01-21-2002, 02:46 PM

Location: too close to a playground of the rich and famous to be able to afford rent, CO
daylilly, that is funny! I actually saw a tv ad for a television screening of A Perfect Murder, a movie a few years old, that Viggo is in, playing a broody hunky kind of not so well crafted character, and that commercial made me realize that I don't really want to see him in anything until the next movie is released! I haven't ever been all that amazed by his work until LOTR, he is just perfect in that role, now I just want to only see him as noble Aragorn until all three movies are out

A random but nifty note, where I lived in VT, there is a funky little bookstore called Rivendell (in Montpelier)...

I mentioned in an earlier post much excitement about seeing the trailer for Queen of the Damned. I saw it Saturday. Being a serious fan of the original Vampire books by Anne Rice, I was quite horrified with the trailer and won't see the movie. Ugh.

But I do plan to see LOTR at least once more before it leaves the theater!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page