Why do people dislike Paris Hilton? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
OK, maybe I'm in the dark for not getting it...but why? She doesn't seem that different from any other model-types to me. Do people just not like her because she's young and rich and never has to work a day in her life? Is it an envy thing? Or is it because she did that stupid Simple Life show? OK, it was dumb, but who wouldn't do it for enough money?

I also heard about some kind of sex on the Internet, but didn't the same thing happen to Pamela Anderson? Whom people like?

So, what am I missing?
#2 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's mostly that she's famous for absolutely no reason at all. And she's "stupid" and selfish.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#3 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe I'm jealous. But more than that I think it's the attitude she tends to put out that she is somehow worthy of this immense, unfathomable wealth... which IMO no one is, particularly someone who wandered into it as an accident of birth. Also in her case there was some indication that the "OMG, me having sex on the internet!" thing was totally engineered to drum up interest in her show. And speaking of her show... "who wouldn't do it for enough money?" Somebody who has so much more money than they are ever gonna pay her for doing that is not doing it for the money.

It's hard to put a finger on but there is something about her that is odious to me, in a very "let then eat cake" kind of way.
#4 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 06:42 AM

In my opinion it's simply because she seems to have a really bad personality.

Pamela Anderson, on the other hand, comes across as a sweetie pie, in spite of herself. I guess even interchangeable blond-model types do distinguish themselves from one another -- who they are comes through in the end, no matter how generically sexy they are trying to be.
#5 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have no clue, and I can't really figure it out either. Same thing I wonder about Britney Spears too btw.

I don't care that she has tons of money, that she was born into her wealth (who can control what financial situation they were born into?), that she did a reality show (never watched it, and no one forces anyone to watch it...they have to choose to), or that she has a sex tape (which again, no one is forced to watch). I just don't care enough about celebrity for it to matter to me. I'd have to know her at least somewhat personally to know if I liked her or not.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 11:44 AM

Rich, famous, and attractive (some think so anyway). That's a lethal combo for us plain folks.
I think she is pretty clueless about life in general. She plays stupid when it suits her and that shows some intelligence. She doesn't bother me.
#7 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 11:57 AM

It bothers me that she embodies this horrible "ideal" of beauty. All the magazines, including the teen ones feature her as something to aspire to. And none of them mention the extremes that she must take to maintain that low body weight.

And I really don't like stupid people. Or people that openly admit that they don't care about current events, the state of our country, etc which she did in an interview... Rolling Stone, I think...
#8 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 PM

I try not to pay attention to paris too much but what really bugs me is that she makes money off of being ignorant and rude and the Americasn viewing public forgive her for it because she's rich and pretty. She's been accused of being racist and has been caught on video tape being very nice and polite to two AA men who were asking if she would model thier clothing line and when they walked away from her she called them "dumb N_____s." And yet that still didn't end her career as it should have.

A friend of hers has come out and said she calls all POC by slurs all the time. Nice.

(edited to add part about friend)
#9 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 09:01 PM

I actually don't think she's that bad. I saw a couple of episodes of Simple Life and she could be a lot worse. If she chooses to lead the majority of her life being ornamental who am I to judge her for it.
#10 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 09:32 PM

i guess my question is "what one decent thing has she done for society?". and "what one thing has she done to earn all her fame?" I mean, she doesn't have an ounce of talent, dropped out of high school to party, and yet she is treated like an american icon. She has earned nothing through smarts, talent, or hardwork. and yet, she acts as if she deserves nothing less, as if she has all this and more just coming to her. a total lack of humility and appreciation.

She had shoes custommade with the word "heiress" in crystals across the toes.

I believe that when you are born with all she was born into, you have a responsibility to do something for someone other than yourself. Maybe responsibility isn't the right word. More than she should WANT to do somethng for people less fortunate. With all the fame she has at her disposal, she could spearhead any number of worthwhile projects, but she is just more interested in drugs and booze and shopping.

and you know what else really bugs me about her? did you know that she has brown eyes? i find that very disturbing for some reason-that she is so fake she can't ever be photographed showing her actual eye color. word on the street is that she has had a lot of work done to "look like a barbie doll". just blech.

and then there is the racism thing-double blech.

and then, really, its just how god dman dumb she is. she can barely put a complete sentence together, and with her background, that is just inexcusable.

her sister really doesn't bother me nearly as much. she finished high school, i believe she is going to college.

whew-glad you asked. apparently i had alot more to say on the subject than i ever could have guessed. :LOL
#11 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 10:02 PM

Because she seems unbelievably vain and self centered.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#12 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 10:48 PM

shes just another woman being pushed by a patriarcal society to LOOK like she does, isnt she?
shes still a woman like us!
wouldnt it be great if she could rebel and SAY whats really in her mind while being on the eye of the massive money making machine that media is?
I bet shes smart. Id love to hear whats really on her mind.
I dont even watch TV, just movies, but its impossible not to know who she is right?
why is that and who is getting the money for what she does.... well thats the question!!
#13 of 23 Old 01-18-2005, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
I think it's mostly that she's famous for absolutely no reason at all.
I don't know that I would use the word "dislike" 'cause UnshoolnMa is right, I have to know someone to actually dislike them, but I will happily use the word "annoying". It is very annoying to see her image everywhere just because we see her image everywhere. Annakiss is right, she's famous for no real reason and because she got famous for no reason, she stays famous for no reason. Its annoying.
#14 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 12:21 AM

b/c she's hollow.

and b/c she and some of the cast from "simple life" walked into a bar when my dh and his buddies were having a guy rafting weekend and she behaved so pathetically stupid that it was almost embarrasing.

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#15 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma
I bet shes smart. Id love to hear whats really on her mind.
She has let us hear what's on her mind and it's ugly and racist. She was videotaped uttering racial slurs.

That's all I need to know.
#16 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 AM

T
I think nearly anyone in that industry is a fake. And I watch out more for the "nice" ones. This girl that use to pick on me every single day at school and made my life a living hell was still touted as "the sweetest girl ever alive" "a real sweetheart" and even won Miss Congeniality in our pagents representing our state. It wasn't like in two months she grew up!
I can't help but NOT like women/men when they act like overly nice people, then get caught in their crap.

Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Christina Acq...I may not like them for the rascist/stupid reasons above, but atleast they are honest about what snots they are. I almost respect that.
#17 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface
Pamela Anderson, on the other hand, comes across as a sweetie pie, in spite of herself.
She's even a spokesperson for PETA.
#18 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM

I don't get why people care one way or the other!
#19 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I believe that when you are born with all she was born into, you have a responsibility to do something for someone other than yourself. Maybe responsibility isn't the right word. More than she should WANT to do somethng for people less fortunate. With all the fame she has at her disposal, she could spearhead any number of worthwhile projects, but she is just more interested in drugs and booze and shopping.
exactly. can you imagine how much it would help the tsunami relief effort if she donated what she makes in 2 days alone? although i guess i shouldn't say that, maybe she has, though i assume it would be made public if she did.
#20 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I guess I don't think that if you are born wealthy you should have to give it to others. As someone who was born into poverty, I don't like being punished for it and told I have a responsibility to make up the debt to society. People born into wealth may not have done anything to earn their money, but it wasn't their fault.

And we can't know what they all do with their money. Maybe most of it gets spent on herself, but who knows, maybe not all of it. We can't be sure that she or any other heiress has never given any money to help someone else or some cause.

And isn't she 22 or 23? We don't know that when she gets older, she won't settle down and start thinking of others.
#21 of 23 Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 PM

If disliking Paris Hilton for her fake body image is acceptable then how could you like Pamela? She has obviously had work done. I like Pam don't get me wrong, but I don't see how you could dislike that with Paris and not Pam?
#22 of 23 Old 01-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface
In my opinion it's simply because she seems to have a really bad personality.

Pamela Anderson, on the other hand, comes across as a sweetie pie, in spite of herself. I guess even interchangeable blond-model types do distinguish themselves from one another -- who they are comes through in the end, no matter how generically sexy they are trying to be.

jep, that's it.Plus, I have never heard her say anything even remotely intelligent.
#23 of 23 Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 AM

She doesn't seem much different than any of the others to me. They're all fake and have had work done. I don't care for any of it but that's Hollywood, baby.
But that racist stuff is really not cool and if it's true that's a darn good reason to dislike her.

Jenny, proud maker of red things

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page