Library Book Circles - keep the Really Bad Books out of circulation - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 403 Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyRose
Where do legitimate acts of civil disobedience fit into the picture?

Is it legal to destroy Baby Abuse books? Nope. Is it legal for doctors to prescribe lethal medication for the terminally ill? Nope. Is it legal for two people who love each other to get married? Nope, not if they're the same sex (unless they live in Canada, the lucky devils).

It wasn't "legal" for people to do many of the things that changed our world for the better.

Getting rid of Baby Abuse books changes the world for the better.

And I think it's hopeless naive to think reading those books DOES NOT influence people's behavior. It most certainly does. If we were NOT influenced by things we see written down, the written word would have no power at all!

Tell that to advertisers.

Books that advertise Baby Abuse are destroyed.

Come and arrest me.
You were kidding with this post, right? Or maybe it was just late and you'd had one too many alcoholic beverages? Hmmm. Let's see. Doctor and patient making medical decisions for that patient: personal impact on the persons making the decision. Queer couple getting married: personal impact on the persons making the decision. You destroying library books: potential impact on every person who walks into the library doing research, personal or otherwise, on those subjects; impact on the library staff who now has to order more of those books; impact on the publisher and the writer of the books you destroyed as they now get more revenue because those books are reordered.

You aren't getting rid of anything. Give me a break.
#392 of 403 Old 03-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Several posts have been removed from this discussion for name-calling and rude, baiting posting. Please avoid further posting like this.

Please forgive me for not PMing each member directly, as my son is not allowing me the time I need to do that...

Also moving this to Books & Other Media...

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#393 of 403 Old 03-12-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Also moving this to Books & Other Media...
In other words... die, thread, die!! :LOL

Personally I think it should be in Activism, but I guess that's reason #1,029 why I'm not a mod...
#394 of 403 Old 03-12-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyRose

Come and arrest me.
Can we get an address??

Someone mentioned there was no use in talking to extremists... I concur and am now going to stop reading this thread! :LOL

By the way, I also wanted to say to whoever brought up Karma. What goes around comes around, in every aspect of life, but especially when raising and teaching our children.
#395 of 403 Old 03-13-2005, 02:20 AM

Real quick...I came across this thread in searching MDC for 'abortion,' just to get an idea of where folks stand before ossibly posting my own story of it. (Which is actually pretty positive, yay, choice!)

Destroying, altering, or making unavailable books on things you disagree with or think is dangerous= being the local crackpot. I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm just saying what I would (and have) thought of the the folks who put cards in my books about feminism extolling me to be a good wife and turn to Jesus. (I am, and I ain't gonna, but anyway...)
Donating books, working in the library/bookstore, and volunteering your time to make sure local parents have ALL the information they might need or want= being a good citizen, like the librarian who tole me that Asimov was cool, but Sheri S Tepper was just as cool, if not more so. (And my heavens, was she right!)
The former, I could live without- they told me what to believe. The later, I'm grateful for- they showed me what they think is cool. Most people will go with being shown a different path better than they will being forced down one.
#396 of 403 Old 03-16-2005, 08:41 PM

"Every tyrant who has lived has believed in freedom for himself."
~ Elbert Hubbard
#397 of 403 Old 03-19-2005, 05:06 PM

Okay, I couldn't manage to read this whole thread, it's so long! So maybe someone has already said this. As I librarian, I can tell you that at my library these particular tactics would result in more copies of the titles in question being ordered! If they were never on the shelves when people came asking for them, we'd place holds, and the more holds there were, the more likely we would order more copies. Also, we look at circulation statistics when ordering books--the more times a title circulates, the more likely we are to order more copies. So I think you might find that this technique will eventually backfire.

Also, most public libraries offer some sort of "suggestion for purchase" service, where you suggest a title that you think the library should own. You'd be better off using this to make sure that all the AP titles you like get ordered. Then make sure you all check those out or put those on hold yourselves so that those look like they are in demand!

What you are doing has happened at my library with books on Wicca and witchcraft. It only makes us buy more on the subject, not less. Sorta defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Alison
#398 of 403 Old 03-19-2005, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's how my library works too- they keep and buy more of the books that get checked out, and discard the ones that don;t.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#399 of 403 Old 03-19-2005, 05:44 PM

Annettemarie, I just took a quick glance at your link in your sig. If you aren't a children's librarian, you should be!

Alison
#400 of 403 Old 03-19-2005, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Annettemarie, I just took a quick glance at your link in your sig. If you aren't a children's librarian, you should be!

Alison
: I did actually work as a librarian in a children's room for a while, but was never official trained as one.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#401 of 403 Old 03-19-2005, 06:24 PM

oh my god! I am a children's librarian who is an AP parent and believe me, if I took everything off the shelves that didn't reflect "my" values, it would be a much smaller library! How about all those murder mystery and slasher books that I abhor....oh, yeah, they're on the best-seller list every day. Oh, and those crummy Ann Colter books (she can't write a decent sentence, much less a paragraph)....and then there is the queen of the crap novel with pronoun problems and sentence fragments everywhere Danielle Steel. She sets such a bad example for grammer...how on earth could we "let" people read her books! The list could go on and on. I love the concern about "vulnerable parents" but the real problem isn't with the parents who read and use the library....it's all the others who think TV and soda are great babysitters, who never join the library community or any community and treat their children like baggage. It's those folks we desperately work to attract...the readers of any books generally raise pretty good kids. Get a grip on reality and donate that energy to a local school library or woman's shelter storyhour.
#402 of 403 Old 03-21-2005, 10:43 PM

Amen, sister.
#403 of 403 Old 03-21-2005, 10:55 PM

LOL....oddly enough, the first thing I thought of was if the library became aware that these books were always checked out, maybe they'd figure those books were really popular and buy more copies, thus financially supporting Ezzo and Ferber. That, and interlibrary loan... You can get any book you want through IRL...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page