Any Musical Mamas out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 03-01-2005, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!
I was wondering if there are any other mamas out there that play instruments? I play piano and acoustic guitar and have reciently taken up electric guitar. I am getting better, but have hit a plateau, and am working hard to get over it and get better. I was hoping to start a support thread for mamas who play and share the ups and downs of trying to practice and play with kids in the house. For example, I can never play the piano without being interrupted by one of my kids! But it's so great when I pick up the electric guitar and my 4 yo dd says "plug in mama, I want to hear you!!". So how 'bout it? Any other musical mamas out there?

Sarah, unschooling musician mama to Ella (12/24/00) , Aurora (1/31/04) and Hazel (1/30/07) (agenesis of the corpus colosum, large interhemispheric cyst, macrocephaly, shunt). homeschool.gif bfolderchild.gif familybed1.gifguitar.gif
#2 of 18 Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM

I am a singer and have been a flutisit for 25 years (eeekk)
#3 of 18 Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM

I've played the violin since I was in preschool, piano since 5 and a host of other things. I majored in music in college.

I miss it. I haven't really played since having kids, but I'd love to get back into it again. I really miss playing in an orchestra or band (clarinet). Wish I could do that again. I've thought about doing the community band during the summer, but with little kids, I didn't know how to get away to the practices.

Oh, I also do guitar, but I wouldn't call myself good or anything. I play chords well enough to accompany singers. My hands are too small to comfortably get bar chords, so I still struggle with those.
#4 of 18 Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 AM

I am primarily a singer but I dabble in piano. I took lessons when I was majoring in music in college, but never got really good. I would like to take up lessons again, starting at the beginning, when my ds starts his lessons either this fall or next. I also used to play the clarinet and then the bass clarinet.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#5 of 18 Old 03-02-2005, 12:46 PM

I play flute and mandolin as well as acoustic guitar. My best instrument is the flute, since I've been playing it for...ummmm...25 years now!

I've been working on playing guitar and singing lately. I like contemporary folk/acoustic music as well as bluegrass and old time, and I would like to get to the point where I could play a few songs at an open mic some time.

I can totally relate to being interrupted by the kids! I try to explain that music is important to Mommy and to not interrupt a song unless it's a life and death thing, but they seem to like to be a part of everything I do. One idea I haven't had the time to try is having "together" music time where we sing songs and play drums or whatever, and make a distinction between that and my "alone" music time.
#6 of 18 Old 03-02-2005, 04:19 PM

We have singing time here, I own a karoke machine and the kids and I set it up and go to town. I have several CDs with just kids songs and they love it.

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#7 of 18 Old 03-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Me

I'm mostly a violist, but can also play violin, cello, string bass, acoustic/electric guitar and bass, and theremin I also play electric/zeta viola, but don't own one so haven't been able to for a while I have daydreams about starting a mama band or electic quartet but don't know anyone else interested in the area.
#8 of 18 Old 03-02-2005, 07:52 PM

I am a complete music geek. I've played piano since I was five, violin since I was twelve, and majored in violin in college. I teach private violin lessons almost every afternoon, and work part time at a music store. (How's that for being involved?) Even with all that, sometimes, I really miss playing in an orchestra, or working on my own performing skills. It's almost like a meditation or "zone" that I get into when I'm practicing. I know there will be time to get back into it when my kids are older and our schedules aren't so intense, and I look forward to that.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#9 of 18 Old 03-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom
Even with all that, sometimes, I really miss playing in an orchestra, or working on my own performing skills. It's almost like a meditation or "zone" that I get into when I'm practicing. I know there will be time to get back into it when my kids are older and our schedules aren't so intense, and I look forward to that.
Me too, I really miss orchestral playing. chamber music too. I'm going to make myself a podaegi so i can wear max on my back (there's a hold that doesn't go over the shoulders) while i try to practice.
#10 of 18 Old 03-03-2005, 01:16 AM

I sing, I dance, and play the piano. I haven't played in ten years though! (ouch)

My husband tells me I'd be a good drummer
#11 of 18 Old 03-03-2005, 12:59 PM

Ooooh, me, me, me!!

I play trumpet and flugle horn very well, and am self taught on the clarinet and piano, which I am not quite as successful at. I love playing but don't get much opportunity, and haven't inro'd my dd (22 months) to it yet as I feel she might be dangerous to most of my instruments at this stage. She absolutely loves to make music though, so I let her play a keyboard we have, and we have bought her toy instruments like a xylophone and a recorder. I intend to give her the option to start learning early if she wants to.

I tried unsuccessfully to teach myself guitar a few years back. It was just not the right time, and after a few weeks, I had to give up when I realized it was ruining my sense of touch in my fingers, which I need to perform my job. If I can't FEEL a vein, I can't STICK a vein, so I can't do my job. Maybe someday, though.

In the meantime, I really miss playing in a group. I would love to find a few local people to form a little- FOR FUN- brass quartet. I lovethe sound of a brass quartet and would enjoy it a lot.
#12 of 18 Old 03-03-2005, 01:40 PM

Guitar, violin, recorder (early music stuff) and some percussion for me. I've just gotten involved with playing violin again after a long layoff, and joined a pretty low-key string quartet, but I have a bit of a problem, ds doesn't like to listen to me practice! (world's youngeest critic!). He's getting more tolerant, though.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#13 of 18 Old 03-03-2005, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor
but I have a bit of a problem, ds doesn't like to listen to me practice! (world's youngeest critic!). He's getting more tolerant, though.
:LOL

My dd is like that too. She always complains and tells me I'm done.
#14 of 18 Old 03-09-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I am so happy there are musical mama's out there!! Do any of you play rock?

Sarah, unschooling musician mama to Ella (12/24/00) , Aurora (1/31/04) and Hazel (1/30/07) (agenesis of the corpus colosum, large interhemispheric cyst, macrocephaly, shunt). homeschool.gif bfolderchild.gif familybed1.gifguitar.gif
#15 of 18 Old 03-09-2005, 11:49 PM

Violist here!
#16 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypants
I am so happy there are musical mama's out there!! Do any of you play rock?
i used to :LOL still have my guitar and bass laying around but haven't really gotten to use them in ages
#17 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violafemme
Violist here!
#18 of 18 Old 03-11-2005, 04:33 AM

I play violin, both baroque and modern, piano (some...enough to support my students), and sing. I've also got a beautiful folk harp sitting in the corner that counts as my best Christmas present ever...and I don't have any time to touch it right now! In fact, if I didn't teach a few lessons here and there I wouldn't touch the violin much either.

On the plus side....I still get to conduct a lot ... which is now my major "instrument". I conduct choirs primarily. Was brought up largely 'classical' but am really getting interested in folk styles. And in my next life...I want to play in a band! Bass guitar or drums or something!

Fun to see the rest of you here.

J

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page