Any other Gabaldon fans want to talk about Claire and Jamie? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 247 Old 08-01-2006, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love this series too!!! I have only read it once, and I flew through it. I will be buying the books and rereading them before the next one comes out for sure!!

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 247 Old 08-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymholly
I'm kind of dreading the next book, tbh. I've read a few chapters of it (on her website) and *ugh* more kidnappings/near deaths/supposed death and such are coming. And that blasted Stephen Bonnett!: I guess a book without an adventure wouldn't be as exciting to read, but I really like to read more about the characters interacting with one another. But, make no mistake, when the next book comes out, I'll be in line on day one to buy it! :
There are exerpts from the new book that hasn't been published yet on her site?? Where? link pease!

#123 of 247 Old 08-01-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25

And re: the man looking in Claire's window at the beginning of Outlander- I have always wondered about that, too. My guess is that it really is Jamie, and somehow he sends himself from his time to the 1940's (whatever was the present time in book 1) and goes to find Claire, and they live happily ever after in the present, and then it will be his turn to live in a different century and see what Claire's life is like.
DG has said that Jamie will never go into the future and that it was his ghost but we wont know what it means until the last book. Unfortunately she takes about 4 years to write a book and there is 2 left?? so we wont know for at least 8 years. I envy those reading the series for the first time...

I couldn't get into the LJG books. I didn't really care for him in the original story so to read a whole book about him, well, I couldn't even get through the first couple of chapters.
#124 of 247 Old 08-02-2006, 04:13 PM

Yippee! This thread's has woken up from its slumber!

I'm a LJG fan, I like his wit and elegance I wish DG would write in a happy ending for him too. I laughed through Lord Jogn Grey and the Private Matter and wish DG would do a few more spin-off series on characters from the Jamie/Claire series. It would be a way for her to write more Jamie/Claire details/storylines without having to dedicate a whole book to them. I also think DG writes mysteries/whodunnits quite well.

I LIKE The Fiery Cross. I LOVE all the little bitty details, and if FC had too many details and not too much action, then ABOSAA was the opposite.
IMO, FC gives a nice glimpse into what life was like in 18th century colonial America.

As for the big question about the person in 'Outlander', if you read the details the kilted person is described as a 'ghost'. Page 30 in my UK version (which is called 'Crossstitch'). Didn't post the passage here because I don't want to get jumped on about copyrights and such.

Are there really two more books going to be published? I thought DG was stopping with seven - meaning that the next one will be the finale for the Jamie/Claire series.
Wasn't she going to do a series on Jamie's parents when they were younger?

Counting the days until the release of the next book in 2007/2008...

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#125 of 247 Old 08-02-2006, 04:27 PM

She says on her website there will be one or TWO more. Here's hoping for two!

I need to reread the series. I flew through it once, and now I"m already forgetting a lot. I think I'm going to buy them after I move. My husband will give me so much crap though! He thinks they are just typical "romance" books, you know, thin plot just to get from one sex scene to the next...nope. He calls them my SMUT books! LOL. I just laugh at him. I thought that the first one Outlander was the MOST R rated. The other ones tamed down quite a bit if you ask me.

#126 of 247 Old 08-02-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollycrand
Wasn't she going to do a series on Jamie's parents when they were younger?
Now that would be really interesting! I could see a whole series being done about them. I'd love to read about their meeting, marriage, Jamie and his siblings growing up, more about Dougal and Colum, etc.
#127 of 247 Old 08-08-2006, 11:38 AM

My dh took me to hear DG talk at B & N & get our BoS&A autographed when it came out- have you heard of anything so romantic?
#128 of 247 Old 08-08-2006, 03:46 PM

That's really romantic.

That sounds like something Jamie would do for Claire!

#129 of 247 Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
My dh took me to hear DG talk at B & N & get our BoS&A autographed when it came out- have you heard of anything so romantic?
That is sweet!

One time she was at our B&N (I didn't know about it ahead of time, I only realized it when they announced it overhead) and I didn't know what I would say to her other than 'I love your books' so I just didn't go meet her! I felt really stupid, since I wasn't buying a book.
#130 of 247 Old 08-09-2006, 11:37 AM

Love, love love DG's books. Just found this thread ! Gotta join ! . . . The birth scene with Marsali and Fergus . . Her labour started slowing down and they start making out/love . . . ( the detail of the birth was amazing and right on ! ) She sneaks in the identity of 'Jemmies' real father so neatly . . . I was worried the ' . . snow & ashes' would have too much adventure and seperation for Jamie and Claire but it didn't . . . it was . . . sooooo good. I can't wait to re-read.
#131 of 247 Old 08-20-2006, 04:03 PM

Ahhhh I'm in heaven!

My mom, aunt, and I are all very into the books! We've all read and re-read them many times...

And I was thisclose to naming my DD Brianna...but I don't really like her character that much, plus how do you explain to your child that she was named after the lovechild in my favorite smutbook?

CPST & mom

#132 of 247 Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 PM

I just started reading the series in June. I finished Outlander in a few days, then being a mommy got in the way and it took me a month to finish Dragonfly in Amber. I'm halfway through Voyager right now. I had searched for a thread before, but didn't find this one. I'm glad to have found it now! What a great series! I have been wondering about the "apparition" Frank saw, and thought it may have been Jamie.
#133 of 247 Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 PM

I don't know if this question has been covered in this thread yet.....BUT....if there was to be an Outlander movie made *gasp* who do you think should play the characters?????

It is difficult for me to admit how much time I have pondered this question!

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#134 of 247 Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 AM

Arrrgh ! No, her books are not smut . . . hmmm or are they . I must ponder that one. Her writing is so - primal, at times - she's brilliant. ( in my humble opinion) No, movie yet. Who could play Jamie???? Is there one actor in Hollywood that could play him. Those 'squinty' eyes and all that hair and his gorgeous, big,tall build. Jamie, Jamie, Jamie . . . any suggestions??
#135 of 247 Old 08-22-2006, 02:23 PM

There was a thread discussing this very topic (movie on Putlander and such...). I can't seem to find the thread to put a link, but here is a link to possible candidates for the TV mini series.
http://outlander.evenstar.de/
Some food for thought. Yum!

Also, try this site for more discussions and info.
http://www.lallybroch.com/

#136 of 247 Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollycrand
There was a thread discussing this very topic (movie on Putlander and such...). I can't seem to find the thread to put a link, but here is a link to possible candidates for the TV mini series.
http://outlander.evenstar.de/
Some food for thought. Yum!

Also, try this site for more discussions and info.
http://www.lallybroch.com/
I stumbled upon that site with the possible actors on it a while ago- I think that 'William Shockley" looks like a good Jamie to me! Some of the choices they have on there are pretty ridiculous though! I can't see Colin Ferrel or Brad Pitt as Jamie!
#137 of 247 Old 08-22-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
I stumbled upon that site with the possible actors on it a while ago- I think that 'William Shockley" looks like a good Jamie to me! Some of the choices they have on there are pretty ridiculous though! I can't see Colin Ferrel or Brad Pitt as Jamie!
I think DG said that in her mind he looks like a combo of Jason Flemyng and David Wenham. Pretty hot! William Shockley looks a lot like I picture Jamie.
#138 of 247 Old 08-23-2006, 03:28 AM

I agree that there are some ridiculous suggestions. Orlando Bloom? As Roger, yes. Or Ian. As Jamie? No way.
David Wenham is a great choice. He's done some historical stuff, too, and would look smashing in a kilt.
The actor would also need to have a great Scottish accent. No fake stuff.

#139 of 247 Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 AM

I wouldn't like there to be a movie. There is no one out there who is my vision of Jamie - well, maybe in Scotland working in the fields

Orlando Bloom isn't tall or wide enough to be Roger and def not Jamie. I was shocked to see the actors they picked! I would expect they would have to get an unknown to play the characters. I think that's the only way it would work althought it would be a mighty long movie!
#140 of 247 Old 08-23-2006, 06:40 PM

What about Minnie Driver as 'Claire'?

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#141 of 247 Old 08-23-2006, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylotus

mmmm, I don't know- I really like minnie driver but I picture claire as more of a jane seymour type with curley hair. I think Dr Quinn has clouded my view!
#142 of 247 Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 AM

I think Emma Thompson would have almost the right "spirit" for Claire......Not sure if she would fit the bill for Claire's look though?

As for Jamie, I don't know who could pull it off........
#143 of 247 Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 AM

BTW, just saw this.........
I guess A BREATH OF SNOW AND ASHES has been nominated for a Quill award. We can add a vote for it!

www.quillsvote.com (click on the "BEGIN VOTING NOW" link, then on the "Science Fiction and Fantasy" category)
#144 of 247 Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 AM

For Claire, I'm picturing Catherine McCormack. She played Mel Gibson's love interest in Braveheart. I think Minnie Driver's complection is too dark. For some reason, I picture Claire as very, very fair-skinned.

Here's Catherine McCormack: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001517/
#145 of 247 Old 08-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbylotus
I've never been a big fan of hers, so my opinion's probably clouded. She's got the right hair (easy to change the color), but I do think she's to tall & big-boned to play Claire... I always see Claire as somewhat petite, curvy and very pretty.
#146 of 247 Old 08-24-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensleeves
I think Emma Thompson would have almost the right "spirit" for Claire......Not sure if she would fit the bill for Claire's look though?

As for Jamie, I don't know who could pull it off........
I agree with that.

I think the casting would have to be all relative unknowns to work for me. I would hate to see any big name stars in it because it seems like their real-life personas often eclipse their characters.

Jamie must be TALL and that's hard to find in Hollywood!
#147 of 247 Old 09-11-2006, 06:11 PM

Yeah!
I Diana Gabaldon! And I feel like I'll never find other books as good. I love the way she writes, and I'm totally in love with Jamie and Claire (and a bunch of other characters!).

I didn't read the whole thread, too tired. I saw you were talking about actors and who should play which character. I thought Diana Gabaldon didn't want to make a film?

Anyway... I started the series by reading the Fiery Cross. I was looking for something to read, and that was the fattest book in the English section. The description at the back of the book seemed interesting enough, so I went ahead and bought it. And I've been in love ever since.

It was really interesting to start from the begining after having read the (then) last book. I kind of new how things would turn out but didn't know details, I loved it.

I've also read Lord John Grey's book, and I liked it too, though I wanted to read about Claire and Jamie!
I wish Diana Gabaldon would write books faster.
#148 of 247 Old 12-06-2006, 02:11 AM

Not reading all the ones before me as I'm only on the second book. However, I do want a spoiler. I was reading something about how Jamie ends up marrying Loaghaire. That has me nearly so pissed off I don't want to keep reading.

Could someone explain this part to me and perhaps even spoil it so I can finish the series? Pm or here would be great!

TIA

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#149 of 247 Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamao'two View Post
Not reading all the ones before me as I'm only on the second book. However, I do want a spoiler. I was reading something about how Jamie ends up marrying Loaghaire. That has me nearly so pissed off I don't want to keep reading.

Could someone explain this part to me and perhaps even spoil it so I can finish the series? Pm or here would be great!

TIA
Sure!

But that only happens in the third book, right? How much do you know and how much do you want to be told?
I don't remember all details very well because it was some time ago that I read the books, and I didn't worry too much about it because the first book I read was the Fiery Cross, so I knew everyone already when I started reading the first 4 books. It was really interesting to see how things really happened, knowing the outcome.
Anyway, what's happening right now where you're reading? (So I don't talk too much.)
#150 of 247 Old 12-06-2006, 12:08 PM

yay, I'm so glad this thread was revived! I am up to the 4th book.

about laoghaire (and BTW, how is that name pronounced?) remember, there were many years that jamie and claire were apart, where each lived their own lives thinking the other was dead. I guess that's all I"m going to say.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page