Anne Lammott - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-12-2002, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read Operating Instructions a few days ago and I'm in the middle of Traveling Mercies... and I am so in love.

What an awesome writer. She is so da#n funny- I am sometimes still laughing as I read, and then I start crying. These are books that I have to stop reading and ask Michael to come sit down so I can reread the chapter to him. I want to be an Anne Lammott evangalist. Oops, having read her I realize this could have different meanings- what I mean is that I want to tell everyone about her- give everyone Operating Instructions for the holidays.

And I just love that as I sit here and struggle with my dislike of George W. Bush she is openly discussing her hatred for his father- its like we are commiserating across time.

Has anyone read any of her novels? Are they as good as her nonfiction?

Please share,
jeanie
#2 of 15 Old 11-12-2002, 02:11 PM

The 2 you are reading are my absolute favorites. I also fight the urge to give everyone I know copies of both for Christmas!

I've also read 2 of her novels -- they were very good, but not of the same caliber.
#3 of 15 Old 11-12-2002, 02:37 PM

I LOVED Operating Instructions and beg all new expectant mamas to read it. So funny! And real.

I couldn't get into some of her other novels though...but will give this new one a go when it gets to the library.
#4 of 15 Old 11-12-2002, 03:38 PM

My enjoyment of the book (OI) was really, really dampened by her pro-circ tirade at the beginning of the book. I just couldn't get into her through the rest of it. That said, a lot of her stuff was right on and funny, but that just really made me mad. Haven't read anything else of hers...
#5 of 15 Old 11-12-2002, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Owensmom,

I know what you mean. Her comments about wanting an epidural at registration were not up my alley either- but she is just so self-depracating and funny. I guess I got over the circ. stuff and the birth stuff. It was the 80's afterall- and she said she did her homework... perhaps she didn't have access to good quality information...

She did breastfeed for the first year at the very least! She beat the statistics there. Oh my, I'm defending someone I don't know just cause she makes me laugh and cry- but I agree with you at the same time...

jeanie
#6 of 15 Old 11-12-2002, 06:19 PM

Oh this brings back memories. Operating Instructions came out at about the time my DD was born. Everyday I would walk over to the nearby drugstore (which had a nice book department) with DD in the sling and read a chapter of the book. I would leave my little book mark in the book and everything. No one ever moved it. Not surprisingly the drugstore was taken over by a big chain shortly after that and did away with the book department. Loved that book, and her novels and Traveling Mercies and Bird by Bird as well.
#7 of 15 Old 11-13-2002, 07:18 PM

I loved these books. Dh and i read them both together. Yes, i also want to pass them out to my friends.
#8 of 15 Old 11-13-2002, 11:36 PM

Annie is just great. Brutally honest and funny and kind -- and yes, a hardcore leftist too. (And sober AND Christian.)

Her new novel just came out -- Blue Shoe -- and got a rave in the NY Times. It's a story about a woman (single mom) getting her life together -- and it features a subplot about her aging mother.
#9 of 15 Old 11-14-2002, 06:36 PM

she is such a great writter - i love her! she actually spoke here a few years ago and was even more funny live (if you can imagine!)...i not only thought i would pee from laughing so hard, but my face ached from smiling so much.... and seriously, she is amazingly insightful and brilliant. she used to be on the radio program "west coast live" alot, but i haven't heard her on there lately....
#10 of 15 Old 11-15-2002, 02:24 AM

I heard an anecdote about her at a reading once (maybe my sister told me this?)....

It was an election year, probably around 1996, and she lived nearish Santa Cruz, and she was calling people to get out the left message. So she telephones this home and a little old lady answers and says she and her DH don't vote because they're too old and infirm. So Anne says she'll help them of course, but then thinks again, and says, "You DO vote Democrat, don't you?" And the lady says, "Oh NO dear, we ALWAYS vote Republican!" And Anne said, "Well then, I'm sorry, I simply can't help you."

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!

I love her
#11 of 15 Old 11-15-2002, 04:55 AM

her first book, Hard Laughter, is one of the best funny-sad books I've always read. It's about her father's struggle with a brain tumor, while Anne is not sober yet and not religious.

Her second or third book, Crooked Little Heart, is a must read for older female teenagers; it's about morals for a girl who excels at tennis and stars a Simone (my name ) who is beautiful and sometimes classy.

Bird by Bird is her book about becoming/being a writer ~ one of the most practical and funny guides on writing that I've ever seen.

I haven't read the new book yet, but i will soon. I only read part of Travelling Mercies (the religion was too much for me), but I loved Operating Instructions. Though the circ and epidural parts did not reflect what I consider sober thought about the birth and life experience, I loved her whining about missing the world series b/c of the earthquake, and of course the scene where Sammy farts at Bush

A friend of mine met her and said she's very nice.Kind of a person you can imagine being friends with (and changing her mind about circ and epi's even if it's too late to make a change for her )
#12 of 15 Old 11-15-2002, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

LiamnEmma- that is such a funny story- It totally jives with her personality- I bet it is true!

Simonee- I am really wanting to read Bird by Bird- my Michael read it and loved it. I am not at all a religious person and I am not a Christian, but her "brand" of Christianity seems pretty amazing to me- full of kindness and love and humility. And I love that she refers to God as She.

Steph- I am jealous- I wanna see her in real life! Or just hear her voice.

lovemykid- your story reminds me of my own pregnancy. Mike was interviewing in Vt- we were living in Maryland but had traveled up here in the winter for interviews. It was so cold and I was pregnant so while he was at interviews I would walk until I was frozen then stop at the local public library. At each library I would find Evensong (great book by the way) and pick up where I had left off at the last library. I read the whole book this way.
It was way sweeter than having bought or borrowed the book- sounds like you feel that way too!

Tripke- have you passed them out to friends? What were their reactions?

thanks everybody,
jeanie
#13 of 15 Old 11-19-2002, 08:19 PM

I just read her new one - Blue Shoe- and have to say it is her best yet. It does a wonderful job of showcasing her talent as a writer.
#14 of 15 Old 11-19-2002, 09:38 PM

When Mr. Baby was an infant and waking 8-10 times a night, I often had the urge to curse at him and toss him out the window. (I know I did the former a few times). Had I not read Operating Instructions while pregnant, I would have been convinced I was a monster of depravity, unfit to raise my child. Thanks to AL, I knew that I was actually quite normal...
#15 of 15 Old 11-19-2002, 11:05 PM

LOVE HER!!
am so excited to read her new one.
Operating Instructions so validated me when i needed it!
and Rosie is pretty good too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page