*OFFICIAL* Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Party Thread INCLUDES SPOILERS - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 383 Old 07-09-2005, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13moons
It strikes me as odd every now and then that, while we know Dumbledore has a brother, we know very little about him. I wonder if he'll ever come more into play....
I think we met him in the Hog's Head. The barman looked familiar to Harry, and the place smelled of goats. Dumbledore referenced him once as having something weird going on with goats.

If so, I wonder if he's in the order again. He was before...
#62 of 383 Old 07-09-2005, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I've alaways thought that aunt petunia knew more about the magic world that she pretended BTW.
ITA with this!! Especially with the howler that came at the beginning of OotP...it hinted to more than she even said I think.

Quote:
Neville comes into his own and plays a bigger part in this book. Perhaps he's the one sacrificed
This is a very interesting theory, and it totally makes sense. I am sure Neville will come into his own more in HBP, especially now that he will be getting his own wand, instead of using his dad's, which is a nice thought...but not very practical. I think Neville will surprise alot of people this book. Also, he is just the type to sacrifice himself for Harry and his other friends...so it seems likely.

Quote:
Hermione and Ron finally get together.
Dear God yes!!! It's driving me crazy...sometimes when I can't sleep I think about how it will happen...is that sad?? Oh well, there it is!!

Quote:
fan fiction...and it gets much hotter.
Y'know, I have yet to get into HP fanfic...I am a total LOTR fanfic junkie, have even written some, so I guess I'll have to jump in with both feet eh? It won't be hard to find either, I know my way around the fanfic community.

Aren't Sirius and Molly like 1st cousins once removed or something?? I would like to see a pic of Sirius' family tree as described in OotP, it would sure be intersting, wouldn't it??

I am just dying for the book over here, dh and I have been talking about it non stop. 7 more sleeps!! :LOL
#63 of 383 Old 07-09-2005, 11:28 PM

Oh! I never made a connection there! I'm gonna have to go reread Dumbledore's mention of his brother and the bar scene! I wonder if you're right...
I have a pretty good mental picture of Sirius's family tree...have you mastered legilimancy yet? :LOL That would be a cool thing to see.
#64 of 383 Old 07-09-2005, 11:45 PM

I haven't found any reference to JKR claiming to consider an 8th book. In fact she goes to great lengths to say in several interviews, "You are assuming he (Harry) survives at the end of it all."" or something like that. She has made the same dodgy remark about Ron and Hermione..and everyone else for that matter. In one interview she squashes the rumor of a prequel saying once all 7 books are out there will be no need for a book of 'backstory".
#65 of 383 Old 07-09-2005, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13moons
No way can Harry have a brother but the kids and I have been speculating as to whom the half-blood prince may be....could be Voldemort?
JKR has said that the Prince is defintely NOT Harry or Voldemort. Hearing that threw me as I had pretty much just been assuming it would be one of them!

I seriously have no idea. Although, I'm in this Harry Potter scrapbooking swap and for a bonus gift, we were required to make a guess about the Half-blood prince. So I guessed Aberforth Dumbledore. :LOL I just thought that was funny in light of the conversation about him!
#66 of 383 Old 07-09-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I have a pretty good mental picture of Sirius's family tree...have you mastered legilimancy yet? That would be a cool thing to see
Not yet, darn it all!! Where's Snape when you really need him?? :LOL
#67 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 01:55 AM

There was at least one other female death eater- the Lestranges- they are a married couple. I can't think of her first name right now.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#68 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 02:06 AM

I feel like I need to read the books again, but no way to get that done before Saturday and I won't be albe to wait to finish to read thenew one :-))

hmm....
#69 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 04:45 AM

Man...I found out today that I am going to Calgary on tuesday...it is a very spur of the moment thing...my bro a SIL are coming to visit and we are all going to Calagary...now I am all in a twitter trying to think of when I will get the book...they want to be home by Saturday night, so I guess it means just waiting a few hours and getting it when we come into town saturday afternoon/evening...

Sheesh...being in the car on sat and not being able to get it....man....I'll figure something out!!
#70 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
There was at least one other female death eater- the Lestranges- they are a married couple. I can't think of her first name right now
That's Bellatrix Lestrange. The only female death eater mentioned yet.
#71 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

they kinda made a big deal about it IMO when Lord Thingy was going around the circle and talking to them in GoF. Not even Narcissia (sp. ?) Malfoy was there with her husband.

I thought of something this morning....why are they called House Elves? That implies that there are other elves that are non *house*. I wonder who they are and why they are not mentioned yet.

V.

p.s. just finished OoTP for the 4th time....I can't wait for the new book!!!!
#72 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

wanted to add my guess on the official thread and who the 1/2 BP is....I think it is Viktor Krum....
#73 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I've alaways thought that aunt petunia knew more about the magic world that she pretended BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTook
ITA with this!! Especially with the howler that came at the beginning of OotP...it hinted to more than she even said I think.
This is from pg. 836 of the U.S. edition where Harry refers to that howler and DD explains why he sent it...

He talks about the blood connection protecting Harry in the Dursley house and says...

Quote:
"Your Aunt knows this. I explained what I had done in the letter I left, with you, on her doorstep. She knows that allowing you houseroom may well have kept you alive for the past fifteen years."
"Wait'" said Harry."Wait a moment."
"You sent that howler. You told her to remember-it was your voice-"
"I thought," said Dumbledore, inclining his head slightly, "That she might need reminding of the pact she sealed by taking you. I suspected the Dementor attack might have awoken her to the dangers of having taken you as a surrogate son."
Rowling as also said that Petunia is not magical nor a squib and since HArry only has a short stay at the Dursleys in book 6, they don't have much of a role in the coming book.

I finally had a verified nightmare last night about getting the book. The UPS guy was delivering it to the wrong house...THE HORROR!

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#74 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

she did say however that they had a much bigger part in book 7 and that we will find out more about them....

V.
#75 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
she did say however that they had a much bigger part in book 7 and that we will find out more about them....

V.
The Dursleys? I hadn't heard that, but I'd love to know more about them and their, ahem, aversion to magical things!

thanks, V.
#76 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz
Buuuuut, JKR *HAS* said there is a strong possibility of a 8th books later on as an epilogue and to tie up loose ends...Sooo we can always hold out hope for an 8th book..And if I was JKR I'd write another one!! Who wouldn't want to stay on the money train that is the Harry Potter empire! I'd write 20 books!!!
I don't know if you all would like this, but...

have you ever read Master and Commander? Patrick O'Brian wrote 20 books in that series. Like Harry Potter, an ensemble cast moving through various adventures. Twenty books, people!

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#77 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
edited...I see you guys knew about Dumbledore's bro and the goat thing....

I am guessing the "half blood prince" in the title is going to be part of some prophecy that Harry does or doesn't fulfill. Is that a boring guess?

Also, I have another guess:

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
Snape was in love with Lily, Harry's mom, and that's why he hates Harry so much.

Or have I posted that here already? Is that really obvious?

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#78 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain optimism
edited...I see you guys knew about Dumbledore's bro and the goat thing....

I am guessing the "half blood prince" in the title is going to be part of some prophecy that Harry does or doesn't fulfill. Is that a boring guess?

Also, I have another guess:

Snape was in love with Lily, Harry's mom, and that's why he hates Harry so much.

Or have I posted that here already? Is that really obvious?
Oh, that one's not news to me!!! In fact, had Harry not resembled James so much, I would have questioned his paternity!!

How do you do that spoiler tag thingie on here?

ETA I figured out how to do the spoiler tags, and I will now share with you my own personal theory as to the identity of the Half Blood Prince
I think it's Crookshanks- JRK told us that he's half kneazle, but what's the other half??? hmm??? I'd also like to see Crookshanks pair up with Mrs Norris.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#79 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 04:13 PM

I have no prediction as to who the HBP is... I wish I did. I just think that JKR might blow us all out of the water with this one.

About Petunia...

I just think it's odd that she knew EXACTLY who the dementors were after 15 years of not being around her sister. That's a long time to hang on to one of the details that she merely *heard* her sis and James talking about.

So, what do you you guys think of the two way mirror? Why did Sirius even give Harry that? Odd, dontcha think?
#80 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 04:37 PM

#81 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
About Petunia...

I just think it's odd that she knew EXACTLY who the dementors were after 15 years of not being around her sister. That's a long time to hang on to one of the details that she merely *heard* her sis and James talking about.
YES! It took me a little while to get past that...I totally agree that there MUST be more to Petunia than we know. Maybe we'll learn more soon!
#82 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 04:46 PM

The night it came out (12am or whatever) my husband and 7 year old came home and we lay in bed reading until god knows what hour. I was reading aloud and when I came to that part, all three of us yelled, "WHAT?!" Just like Vernon Dursley! :LOL JKR got us with that one.
#83 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
I have no prediction as to who the HBP is... I wish I did. I just think that JKR might blow us all out of the water with this one.

About Petunia...

So, what do you you guys think of the two way mirror? Why did Sirius even give Harry that? Odd, dontcha think?
sooooo - you think that Petunia is an ex-con?
#84 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
sooooo - you think that Petunia is an ex-con?
Verrrrrrrry interesting, Victorian...

That would explain a lot. It would explain her hatred of all things magical. It would explain her freak-out when the dementors came around Privet Drive...

I wonder what she got sent to Azkaban for?
#85 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I thought Sirius gave it to him so Harry could contact him for help, from school. Harry forgot all about it until it was too late.

In the last big long thread, when the last movie came out, someone theorized that Ron might grow up to be Dumbledore, literally. Time travel and everything. Dumbledore's hair was red before it went white. Ron's hair is getting longer and longer. Something about Ron's thing for chocolate frogs and distaste for Bertie Bott's beans. Something about a scar on Dumbledore's knee that might match the one Ron got when he was dragged under the Whomping Willow.

Maybe Luna's character will grow on me in this next book. I still really think Harry belongs with Ginny. Luna is just too weird.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#86 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom
In the last big long thread, when the last movie came out, someone theorized that Ron might grow up to be Dumbledore, literally. Time travel and everything. Dumbledore's hair was red before it went white. Ron's hair is getting longer and longer. Something about Ron's thing for chocolate frogs and distaste for Bertie Bott's beans. Something about a scar on Dumbledore's knee that might match the one Ron got when he was dragged under the Whomping Willow.
Oh, please Enough with the time travel theories!!! Has anybody forgotten that Dumbledore's first name is Albus and Ron's first name is Ronald? :LOL

Besides, do we even know if Ron got a scar from the Whomping Willow escapade? Madame Pomfrey's a darn good Healer!!

#87 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 06:44 PM

But, isn't that odd just to put in for Harry to then forget about it? Surely it must play a bigger role in this book. Maybe not, but it seems that JKR often throws little things in that she expounds on later. Like Arabella Figg.

That's a cool idea about Ron being Dumbledore. I wonder if Dumbledore is like a recycled soul or something...
#88 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
Besides, do we even know if Ron got a scar from the Whomping Willow escapade? Madame Pomfrey's a darn good Healer!!
Yeah, that's a good point about Madam Pomfrey.

But that was a sore point with me about all the Star Trek series'. Their doctors were always just as capable as the script needed them to be. If Commander Riker got a huge injury but was needed back on the bridge Doctor Crusher would just fix him up, no prob. But if the story required the nameless away mission guy to bite the dust then his injuries were always just too much for her to save him.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#89 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

maybe Petunia is Snape's love and why he stopped being a death eater, then Vernon stole her away

And she was in Azkaban for having too much knowledge of the wizarding world and writing books under the pen name J.K. Rowling.....hmmmmm

V.
#90 of 383 Old 07-10-2005, 07:14 PM

I was wondering something while my whole family was re-reading the whole series this week:

After the Sorcerer's /Philosopher's Stone was destroyed, what did Hagrid do with Fluffy, the giant 3 headed dog?

Quote:
And she was in Azkaban for having too much knowledge of the wizarding world and writing books under the pen name J.K. Rowling.....hmmmmm

V.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page