*OFFICIAL* Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Party Thread INCLUDES SPOILERS - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankay
Re: Voldemort's "inability" to die. I think because he used Harry's blood to come back in GOF, he now has some mortal/human-ness in him and now CAN die. Hence the 'look of triumph" in Dumbledore's eyes mentioned toward the end of GOF. PERHAPS because he is sooo connected to Harry now, that if Harry is hurt by Voldemort, it will be V who actually dies and Harry lives (because of his Mum's protection(?)) Or maybe some connection with the Phoenix.
I think the fact that Voldemort used Harry's blood will be important too. Not sure how it will work out but it should be interesting.

Another interesting tidbit on JKR's website says that the fact that Harry has his mother's eyes will be very important. I wonder what that's all about.

Snape as the HBP? Interesting..I still can't figure him out. He's so icky and strange. Alan Rickman does a fantastic job playing him.

I'm rereading the last few chapters of OOTP to catch myself up. I started with the chapter where Hermione leads Harry and Umbridge into the forbidden forest. THAT WAS AWESOME!!! Hermione is such a smart cookie! Good thing the centaurs went for it! DH read OOTP after me and he kept saying "Please tell me Umbridge gets what's coming to her in the end!!" LOL...I just told him to keep reading!!!

Another awesome OOTP moment..When George and Fred leave Hogwarts after playing their biggest prank!! That's gonna be an awesome scene in the movie!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#122 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Be sure to reread the scene with Harry and Luna. I seem to keep harping on her, but the scene is so sweet, Harry warming up to her, and then walking away feeling better. I think it's foreshadowing. Plus, her name is "Lovegood." I suspect Harry could use some good loving.

I LOVE the scene where the Weasley's ride off into the sunset. They have such style!
#123 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM

yeah, I so hope they keep that part in the next movie. I loved when harry gave them the money to start their magic shop too. It showed that he was importent in all their lives to me. Like a brother ya know.
#124 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=onlyboys]Be sure to reread the scene with Harry and Luna. I seem to keep harping on her, but the scene is so sweet, Harry warming up to her, and then walking away feeling better. I think it's foreshadowing. Plus, her name is "Lovegood." I suspect Harry could use some good loving.
QUOTE]

I'll reread it but I refuse to like it!!! I'm a Harry/Ginny shipper all the way baby!! Luna just seems to flighty for Harry...I dunno..Maybe she'll grow on me..And I just love Ginny in the movies..She's soooooo cute!!!

Although my hopes that Luna and Neville would hook up have been dashed by JKR..She's mentions on her site that they won't get together...Booooooo!

There's also a GOF movie summary from someone who has seen it on mugglenet. If you click on the link in my sig and scroll down a little bit there's a heading where you can read a summary of the movie from someone who got to see a way advance/not even finished preview..It sounds fantastic!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#125 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:36 PM

I thought I had ordered it about two months ago from amazon but I had put it and a bunch of other books in my cart to hold : eeek. We're going on vacation tomorrow so I guess I'll get it shipped to my inlaws. Of course, I don't know when I'm going to read it. "Vacation" with 3 small children just means being somewhere else, not getting time off! (Oh I wish I had it for the plane tomorrow - they usually sleep on the plane)

So here are my thoughts that have been driving me nuts-
How'd they all do on their OWLs? Harry obviously rocked DADA, but what about everything else? This determines the classes they are taking and what jobs they'll be eligible for after school.

Does the DA keep going as an official group now that Umbridge is gone? (And isn't it going to be cool when all of them - even Neville - get outstanding on the DADA OWL?)

Who is Minister of Magic? Not Mr. Weasley, they're going to want Dumbledore but he won't take it, so who?

When are they going to finally act like teenagers? I mean they are 16, 17 years old in this next one. Harry has kissed someone one once very confused about it too. Ron doesn't seem to realize that he *likes* Hermione. Ginny is the only one who'd had a boyfriend. The whole thing is very glazed over. Not that I think they should be having sex in the hallways, just by 16 most people are at least thinking about the other sex. . .
#126 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:44 PM

Well they do LIKE girls. Remember ron's thing about le fluer and harry has been gung ho about cho(LOL). Hermione finally gets attention from a guy and it very much bothers ron apparently. I think that there is just so much else going on in their lives that they haven't had a good chance to truly be "normal" teenagers.
#127 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoobyJuice
When are they going to finally act like teenagers? I mean they are 16, 17 years old in this next one. Harry has kissed someone one once very confused about it too. Ron doesn't seem to realize that he *likes* Hermione. Ginny is the only one who'd had a boyfriend. The whole thing is very glazed over. Not that I think they should be having sex in the hallways, just by 16 most people are at least thinking about the other sex. . .
Hmmm. I know what you mean. But the age of JKR's readers from adult to very young. Perhaps she's keeping the youngest readers in mind. Maybe she doesn't want to emphasize hormones that much for plot reasons. And she is a mom! And maybe there will be more dating in HBP.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#128 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

well on the relationship issue, here is my take....I think that Ron and Herminone are dating...they just havent told Harry yet (think of all the time they spend together without him).

Maybe Madeye will be the next Minister.

I do like the idea of Snape being related to Lord Thingy. hmmm....
#129 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, I've got a question! Dd is at this very moment watching Sorcerer's Stone, and Hagrid takes Harry to the bank to pick up some money. Harry sees the piles and piles of gold coins and Hagrid says, "Didn't think your mum and dad would leave you with nothin' did ya'?"

Well, where'd they get all that money? Do you think it matters, or this just a throw away detail?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#130 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom
Ok, I've got a question! Dd is at this very moment watching Sorcerer's Stone, and Hagrid takes Harry to the bank to pick up some money. Harry sees the piles and piles of gold coins and Hagrid says, "Didn't think your mum and dad would leave you with nothin' did ya'?"

Well, where'd they get all that money? Do you think it matters, or this just a throw away detail?
ooooh, good question! I just read something about this last night! In the link that zaadad posted (post #118 in this thread) it lists a bunch of things we do know about book 6 (gleaned from interviews, JKR's website, etc) and one of the last tidbits in the list is this:

Quote:
Harry's parents' profession will be a big part of the plot.
So that is very interesting!

It also says this:

Quote:
Something HUGE will be revealed about Lily Potter.
And this has me so, so curious! :LOL
#131 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 08:24 PM

I dunno..I thought they were very teenager-ish in Bk. 5 Harry sure had the "angst"/mouthiness .Personally, I wasn't dating anyone at that age either.
#132 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 08:32 PM

I wonder also if James Potter wasn't from a wealthy family. I can't remember *any* reference to their living status, whereas many of the families have been described... I really hope we find out more about the Potters themselves.

As for the Lily and James' professions, I have no idea! They had "thrice defied" Voldemort, so perhaps they worked closely with him? Or were they just really involved in the Order and defied him that way... I don't know.

Interesting. How many more days, then?
#133 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I figured that they were Aurors along with the Longbottoms. Maybe they were treasure hunters for the bank.

Anyone else notice that everytime Ginny is mentioned she is curling up like a cat, making a hissing sound like a cat, stretching like a cat....could she be an animangus cat?

The only time I remember the Potter grandparents being mentioned is by Sirius, he said that he stayed there during breaks and when he left home the Potters took him in and treated him like a son.
#134 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyboys
Interesting. How many more days, then?
Five

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#135 of 383 Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 PM

I also think they may have been aurors or some kind og magic bounty hunters, could there be a such thing?
Perhaps since harry's destiny was fortold before hand(kind of) they were just preparing for the worst being carful with their gold and such.
#136 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 12:10 AM

I have got to go back and re-read the books!

this thread is great - bringing so much info back to me and glad you all read other sites, no time in these parts for that but I find it sooooo interesting :-))

thanks!
#137 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 01:39 AM

Well, I learned my lesson tonight. DH and I were in the kitchen and I was talking about our impending vacation and I mentioned that I was so excited to be getting the book while on vacation so I'll have time to read on the way back. Then I started talking about the theories and suggestions that have been posted on this thread.

He stopped what he was doing and just stared at me for a minute. Then he said "Is this what you do with your day while I'm gone making us some money?? Sit around and think and talk about Harry Potter??" :LOL I said "Well, sometimes I wash the dishes too!!! Sometimes..." He thought I was nuts and he's a big HP fan too!!!

As for finding out about Harry's family..I think JKR said we will find out more about Harry's grandparents but it's not really crucial to the storyline, it's more just backstory. But I do remember the bit about Harry's parents' professions being important. I always thought they were Aurors as well but maybe not!

As for them stockpiling gold, they didn't know about the prophecy did they? I thought Dumbledore kept it quiet. Hmmm..

I think they're acting like typical teenagers. There has been romantic angst, etc. Especially in GOF with the Yule Ball. But I don't think JKR will make it an obsession type things because little kids are interested in it..I think romance will be a major part of the 6th and 7th books but not THE main theme of the book..I mean, romance is important but they're trying not to get themselves killed by evil wizards. I don't think romance will be the focus, you know?? There's also been a statment that the wizarding world is TRULY at war in the 6th book so I think that's gonna be the focus. Somewhere else I read that Harry will have a little romance in this book. But I don't think it will be a ton..

#138 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamnEmma
Yeah, that'd be me. And I'll raise you by pointing out that I read with a book group and I've already read all 11 (we take December off to have a nice dinner near the holidays) books for the year in anticiaption of the necessarity of reading all five previous books just before the release of book six. Oh, the madness to which I succumb!
I'll raise you by telling you that I am reading them in French! Haa - take that. :LOL
#139 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian
maybe Petunia is Snape's love and why he stopped being a death eater, then Vernon stole her away

And she was in Azkaban for having too much knowledge of the wizarding world and writing books under the pen name J.K. Rowling.....hmmmmm

V.

Did I miss something - this is the second reference to Petunia being in Axkaban.....are you guys just being silly?
#140 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatojade
Did I miss something - this is the second reference to Petunia being in Axkaban.....are you guys just being silly?
Just a joke..There was discussion about why she remembered who dementors were in OOTP when she had only heard James mention it to Lily once many years ago..

I think the best speculation was that she was a Deatheater and she and Snape were married and when she was convicted and sent to Azkaban (which is how she knew what dementors were) Snape left the dark side.. :LOL

I don't think she really did a stint in Azkaban..

Check out the Book Description of HBP from amazon.com

Book Description
We could tell you, but then we'd have to Obliviate your memory.

Too funny!! They're not giving away anything!!

#141 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 10:15 AM

Is it Saturday yet?
#142 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 10:49 AM

Did anyone watch the Today Show this morning? Jim Dale was on. He said (regarding HBP) that it is very good, and that it leaves you wondering how she can finish up. It's really a cliff-hanger. I thought that GOF was such a freaking cliff-hanger that it made me insane.

I half-hoped he'd read something from HBP, how foolish am I? :LOL

This thread is going to send me soaring into senior member-dom.
#143 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz
I started with the chapter where Hermione leads Harry and Umbridge into the forbidden forest. THAT WAS AWESOME!!! Hermione is such a smart cookie! Good thing the centaurs went for it!
No, not smart at all on Hermione's part, and the Centaurs didn't go for it! They were going to take Umbridge away, yes, but also Hermione and Harry because they do not do humans' bidding! Hermione and Harry were just super lucky that Grawp turned up then and scared the centaurs away, or they'd be toast.

You all need to check out J.K. Rowling's web site to get your facts straight before coming up with all these theories! Many of them simply can't be true, because she's already dispelled the ideas. Stayseeliz posted quotes dispelling a few of them, here's one more for all you shippers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.K.Rowling
December 10, 2004
Luna and Neville will hook up in HP&THBP
The Luna/Neville shippers are much less vehement and scary than the Harry/Hermione, Ron/Hermione tribes, so I hope I won't receive too much hate mail for quashing this rumour. I see Neville and Luna as very different kinds of people and while they share a certain isolation within Hogwarts, I don't think that's enough to foster true love - friendship, perhaps, although I think that Neville would always find Luna's wilder flights of fancy alarming.
And for anyone keeping track, Mundungus was in the Hog's Head during the first DA meeting, but he was disguised a veiled witch. The bandaged person was Willy Widdishins (probably wrong spelling) who was injured when one of his regurgitating toilets backfired on him, but speculation is that he was not punished for those toilets, because he told the ministry about the meeting.
#144 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 AM

ok.I'm safe to confess this here.....I actually planned our family vaction around the release date of HBP. We were planning a m idJuly trip but I knew we couldn't be gone the day of the 16th, so I changed our itinerary around so we leave on the 20th. Hmmm..4 days to read it..No PRoblemo.

I'm nearly 40 years old and I'm a Harry Potter Freak. I think I'll have to start Paxil or something before book 7 comes out to keep me from plunging into the depths of despair when it's all over.
#145 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 AM

I felt myself getting irritated at the TV today because they had these adorable little kids sitting there not paying any attention to Jim Dale as he read. I thought, "If I was there, I'd listen." :LOL :
#146 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if this is against MDC rules or not, but I know how some of us can get HBP started before it comes out! If anyone knows if I can share this w/out getting into trouble with CM, lmk. Then, if it's alright, I'm blabbing!!

Quoteriginally Posted by SamI'mNotSamantha : : : Bi/Crunchy/WOH/Single/Student Mama to my skinny-mini SuperMunchkin : (11/2004)! "I will not take 'but' for an answer." - Langston Hughes
#147 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:53 AM

Doesn't sound legit to me. JKR warned everyone about such things repeatedly.
#148 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeniferm
No, not smart at all on Hermione's part, and the Centaurs didn't go for it! They were going to take Umbridge away, yes, but also Hermione and Harry because they do not do humans' bidding! Hermione and Harry were just super lucky that Grawp turned up then and scared the centaurs away, or they'd be toast.
Actually it was very smart she just didn't know when to keep her mouth shut. They would never hurt a youngling as they had already stated it wasn't until hermoine said that they hoped the centaurs would get rid of her for them that they turned on her as her statement made it seem like they did her bidding. I always said she talked to much and I literally yelled at the book for her to shut up when she let that slip
#149 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:55 AM

No, no, no!! I'm pretty sure it's legit!! In pretty much the only way possible. Anyone know the rules?

Quoteriginally Posted by SamI'mNotSamantha : : : Bi/Crunchy/WOH/Single/Student Mama to my skinny-mini SuperMunchkin : (11/2004)! "I will not take 'but' for an answer." - Langston Hughes
#150 of 383 Old 07-12-2005, 11:56 AM

Prolly not okay SIN but you can always send me a pm.
geez, when is saturday?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page