TLC's World Birth Day - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-02-2002, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone see it? Thoughts? Reactions? My thought is that, if you're going to all of those countries, show some home births. In most other countries, the only reason to go to the hospital is if there is something wrong. Show some non-crisis births, please. :mad:
#2 of 5 Old 01-02-2002, 06:12 PM

I thought the exact same thing! When i heard it was going to be stories of births from different cultures, I was sure they wouldn't all be so medicalized. The only thing I can think is that the people in those countries didn't want camera crews in their homes. Hey, at least they showed bf! Of course, they "fuzzed-out" the women's breasts, which I just don't get. They'll show people's bloody intestines and head wounds on that channel but not breasts :
#3 of 5 Old 01-02-2002, 06:20 PM

I think DD and I caught a few moments of it, a family in India, where they actually put the babe to mom's breast (what a shock!). Was there a scene in that about a doc taking care of twins who were delivering at the same time?
The doc was shown sitting at one woman's feet, encouraging her to push, then says, I gotta check your sister (because the MACHINES said fetus was in distress). He just walks out of the 1st mom's room, and DD says, obviously disturbed by the doc's blase attitiude, "Why is he leaving her?"
American births are horrible enough for my tastes...
#4 of 5 Old 01-03-2002, 12:45 AM

I watched it too~it amazed me! Especially in Cairo where they pierced the baby girls ears in the hospital. I was glad that they showed bf, even though they blocked out the breasts. During the time frame I watched, they never showed a bottle. I do wish that they would have show some home births as well. It amazed me also, in Ethopia where the mom had the baby and was bleeding and bleeding and the baby was laying on a bed in the hallway. Poor babe! I liked seeing all the cultural differences and came away feeling blessed that we have so many choices and quality of care here.

Warmly~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#5 of 5 Old 01-03-2002, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I guess I missed most of the days programs, but the one that I did watch, didn't impress me.

It was (not saying this to be racist) a black woman delivering her 5th child, all the others including this one, was given up to her cousin. Her cousin took the babies bc she didn't want any to go without their brother/sister. She wasn't at all well off, and seemed sad that her cousin kept doing this.

The doctor tried to get her on some birth control with a shot that lasted 12 weeks, so that she wouldn't keep reproducing babies she didn't want, and she refused.

The doctor talked about the child possibly having AIDS, but I missed that.

The woman was a drug addict on top of everything else.

It was a very sad episode, and they would show this beautiful little baby in a hospital bed, and just knowing that the mother didn't want to hold her and love her made me cry.

I wasn't at all impressed with the woman. She was VERY trashy...

Emily

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page