phillip pullman his dark materials - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-03-2002, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this on the old boards but never saw the response. HAs anyone else read this trilogy? Starting with the golden compass. I finished the last one amber spy glass a few months ago. Some of the most amazing writing I've ever read. Beats harry potter in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 07:42 AM
PM
Banned

I got an autographed hardback copy of the Golden Compass from Powells.com so I had to buy the first two too. I loved all of them. He created such a fantastic world. I wonder if he has any religious affiliations, like JR Tolkien. What was the basis for his imaginary time settings and world? Anyone know?
Old 01-03-2002, 01:04 PM

Yes, I just posted about this, the thread's called If you liked Harry Potter . . . on it I said that my 13-year-old neice sent me The Golden Compass for xmas . . . now what better recommendation for a book is that? I have only read that one, just finished it yesterday, but can't wait for the other two in the trilogy. Neice says they're even better than Golden Compass. Really great adventure story, IMO, as well as good characters, fantasy, detail. Love the feeling for animals, too.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:11 PM

Sorry, wanted to say more but accidentally posted! ParisMaman, it's interesting that you bring up the religious thing because what I've read about them so far (on Amazon.com) has mentioned that people feel there is an anti-religious thing going on in them, anti-Christian I read in fact, and there are people very upset about that. As far as I can tell, from reading only the first book, there's definitely an anti-organized religion theme. I would say it's rather pro-pagan, if you take into account the fact that the witches and gypsies seem to be the coolest morally, and what with the animals and nature being treated more or less reverentially. There is definitely a distaste for the bureaucratic, entangled with governing, aspects of organized religion.

In some ways I think these books beat HP, but I still love HP and feel that in other ways, HP provides what the Pullman books don't, for example, a sense of humor. HP is just lighter, and has a sense of silliness. The Pullman books are deeper though, IMO.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:52 PM

SPOILER: DON'T READ IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED BY BOOK 3!

Well, it's hard not to see a book as anti-Christian when it kills God and portrays that as a good thing.

I loved the series; read it when it first came out and waited anxiously a whole year more than anticipated for the third book. I heard Pullman speak in Seattle; somewhat amusingly, the bookstore had reserved space for the reading in a church. He joked that he's never spoken in a church before, and wondered if he should be worried.
Old 01-03-2002, 04:19 PM
PM
Banned

It had been so long since I read the books that I forgot about some of these details. Thanks for the refresher.
Old 01-04-2002, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

wow. actually seeing Phillip pulman in person. How was that ? In a church? Did he say what religous background he had? I love the way he writes and created these other worlds. It almost felt logical and real. I read these books so fast. It was like being a young child again. I love the harry potter books but not on a s deep a level. I get annoyed by the repetition a little, but i understand it is for a younger mind. But i did devour the harry potter books just as fast!!!
Can you imagine these books as a movie? I hope it happens some day and I hope peter jackson directs! he did a great job with lord of the rings!

User Tag List