#181 of 202 Old 05-29-2006, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNote
Paradise Lost by Milton.

Simply sucks.
Amen sister! Like to add another gem to the list: The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne. Ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 202 Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys
Also, the Dress Lodger was pretty awful...
I was going to say the same thing!! What an obscure book...
#183 of 202 Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidshappymamma
anything by Thomas Hardy
Jude the Obscure rawks!!!
#184 of 202 Old 05-29-2006, 09:27 PM

I found The Shipping News rather tedious. I only made it halfway through.
#185 of 202 Old 05-29-2006, 11:08 PM

This is a funny thread.

I'm not all that well-read, but Great Expectations just about turned me off of reading altogether.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#186 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola
I found The Shipping News rather tedious. I only made it halfway through.
You know, I too have had trouble with this one. I thought I'd really like it, but have never managed to get more than 1/4 of the way through.
#187 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdypea
This is a funny thread.

I'm not all that well-read, but Great Expectations just about turned me off of reading altogether.
Really? I loved that book. :
#188 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 09:54 AM

I loved Great Expectations too. I've read it so many times. Funny!
#189 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM

I guess reading taste really are subjective. I can’t believe the abuse my beloved Hemingway has taken here, that man never wrote a word I didn’t love. I love every book by Steinbeck I ever read too. The Grapes of Wrath rocked! I just reread East of Eden that has to be one of the best books ever written.

Book that just didn’t do it for me;

Ana Karenina: I think Tolstoy is a talented writer I just didn’t like the book.
Madame Bovary: It’s hard to enjoy a book when you find the lead character to be utterly unlikable.
The Catcher in the Rye: I know a lot of people love this book but I just didn’t get it.

I read a lot of Dickens before I decided I didn’t really like reading his books, which made me sad ‘cause I really want to like Dickens. I think his stories make WONDERFUL movies and plays I just don’t enjoy reading them.

I’m another one who didn’t care for Villette. I loved Jane Erye so I thought I would love anything by Charlotte Bronte, nope. I read the whole thing just waiting to fall in love with it and never did.

I credit a high school teacher for making me like The Scarlet Letter. Somehow he made Hawthorne a lot of fun.

I rarely start a book and don’t finish it but I just couldn’t get thru The Wings of the Dove by Henry James, I really did try, it was just so boring to me.

A book I thought would be really boring and only read out of literary duty was Crime and Punishment. What a wonderful surprise that book was, I couldn’t put it down.
#190 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 04:02 PM

This thread has inspired me to pick up and try Faulkner again. I hated evrything Faulkner when I had to read it in high school honors English. Now with--ahem-"maturity"--aka "old age", I may have a different view. He is my best friend's favorite author so I know there's "something" there.

Any recommendations as to what I should start with?
#191 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Beach.

That book was awful. It stunk so bad I couldn't bring myself to finish it. Then they made it into a movie that was even worse.

ETA: Faulkner, ugh! I've only read a short story of his and oy. I have a friend with a master's in English, and the only class she ever got an F on was a Faulkner/(some other author) class. She was busy with morning sickness during the class, took an incomplete, and never could bring herself to finish the reading to write a paper! She was very nearly a 4.0 student otherwise.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#192 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey
I really never could get into the first Harry Potter book, I thought it was dreadfully boring, and therefore I never read any of the following books.
*gasp* BLASPHEMY!!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#193 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 04:42 PM

Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco. I loved "The Name of the Rose," but as far as I can tell that's the only book Eco wrote that is remotely readable.
#194 of 202 Old 05-30-2006, 04:59 PM

As I Lay Dying (...of boredom)
#195 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiexto
You know, I too have had trouble with this one. I thought I'd really like it, but have never managed to get more than 1/4 of the way through.
Maybe because there the long strings of words put together in something that should have been sentences, yet made no sense to me because there was no context. This can be interesting or clever in some situations, but there just wasn't enough there.

I felt that way about some of Anne Tyler's books. I think I started Celestial Navigation 4 or 5 times. I finally read it last year and I enjoyed it. Maybe in another 10 years I'll like The Shipping News, who knows.
#196 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 03:39 AM

ok here's one:
The Naked Lunch
w.burroughs

and watching the movie definitely did not help, neither did reading the book help watching the movie...:
#197 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmama
Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco. I loved "The Name of the Rose," but as far as I can tell that's the only book Eco wrote that is remotely readable.
OH GOD. I still can't believe I made it all the way through that. It was some kind of masochistic endurance thing I was doing to myself. Jesus, when I look back on all the hours I wasted pre-baby...

Funny about Great Expectations. My mom practically flies into a rage whenever someone mentions that book, or Dickens at all for that matter. She had a bad experience in jr high, I guess.
#198 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmama
I read the first chapter of Focault, the one that goes on about how you don't rotate around the universe, it rotates around you, and I thought, "This is going to be pretentious twaddle for kids that wanna feel more profound than they actually are." So, I quit at page 18. Go me.
#199 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 04:50 AM

Proust
#200 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 10:05 AM

Pretty much anything written during the Victorian era (sorry to those who like it but, sheesh).

I'm a Chaucer girl and medieval stuff girl. Gimme a point, willya and skip all the description, puhlease?????
#201 of 202 Old 05-31-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
if you can still abide any romantical stuff, bookpage has a bio of leigh hunt, 'the wit in the dungeon' by anthony holden (i am on the waiting list at the library.) if anyone has read it already, let us know if it belongs in this thread or not .
dh and i read it, and it is actually quite interesting- poignant and hopeful. but now we both want to go spit on byron's grave. the poor goat!
#202 of 202 Old 06-01-2006, 12:51 PM

anything by james joyce.

the prodigal summer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page