Most Boring Book on the Planet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Personally, I hated George Eliot's Middlemarch.

Anyone have any books that bored the tears out of them?
#2 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 07:48 PM

I just can't get myself through Tolstoy's War and Peace.
-Sunshine
#3 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 07:54 PM

moby dick.

the only book -- in my years of school and college -- that i didn't get through.

one of very very very few book i have ever giving up on.

trust me, i will read anything.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 PM

Nearly everything I had to read in American Lit. minus the opulent Great Gatsby. I shall single out The Grapes of Wrath as the most dull book I've ever had the misfortune of setting my eyes upon.
#5 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 09:34 PM

"The Island of the Day Before" (by Eco) and "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (Marquez) could battle it out for the title, but they would both end up sound asleep. Like pp said, I'll read ANYTHING and I wouldn't read those if I was on a desert island with them. Okay, so I probably would at some point, but I wouldn't like it.
#6 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 09:36 PM

My Antonia, by Willa Cather.
#7 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 09:47 PM

wow- i LOVED grapes of wrath!! boring books - yeah, i'd include many of my university texts ... do they count? pride and prejudice - must've started that book 20 times. i'm gonna give it another try though.

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#8 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 PM

I hated - The Old Man and the Sea - I know people loved it but I hate boats & fishing and it just made me want to scream....

Also, the Dress Lodger was pretty awful...

BJ
Barney & Ben
#9 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 11:01 PM

Emma. just thinking about the book makes me

I did finish it, though. My thought on the last page was, "well, there's a week of my life I'll never get back."

f'arms
#10 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 11:25 PM

I was scrolling down the forums list & I saw your title of "The most boring book ever". I just had to click on over to see what you thought...

MIDDLEMARCH!!! I sooo totally agree. If you are ever going through bouts of insomia, I recommend trying to read Middlemarch. I never could read more than 10 pages without falling asleep.

Another one is Swan's Way by Marcel Proust. That man could make a single sentence last 2 pages!!! I had to re-read everything because I kept getting lost between the semi-colons.
#11 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 11:53 PM

Y'all are hurtin' ma feelings! You're listing some of my favorite books! My Antonia, Grapes of Wrath, Emma, Pride and Prejudice???!! Sigh.

Ok..couldn't get through Life of Pi. Hmm..oh, wait..ANYTHING by William Faulkner.
#12 of 202 Old 08-25-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peypeymama
Another one is Swan's Way by Marcel Proust. That man could make a single sentence last 2 pages!!! I had to re-read everything because I kept getting lost between the semi-colons.
This is definitely not a book that can be put down for long periods of time and then picked up again later, that's for sure! It took me a little while, but I grew to love Proust.

On the other hand, Joyce's Ulysses I'm still having a difficult time with after a decade and wonder if I'll ever get through it with any understanding whatsoever, much to the chagrin of the rabid Joyce fans that I know. :LOL
#13 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:11 AM

Dr. Zhivago. I had to read it for high school english and it just about killed me. I think I only read 2/3 of it and then fudged the rest of the report off some guy I was dating :

Lisa
#14 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:15 AM

Nankay - sort of funny after what I said about boats & fishing but I sort of liked "The Life of Pi" Who knows???
#15 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Dar

I first read One Hundred Years of Solitude at 15, and have reread it a few times since then... I rarely read fiction at all, but I love his stuff. Love in the Time of Cholera was also good, and News of a Kidnapping, although that's not really fiction.

Fiction in general bores the hell out of me, though, with the exception of some sci fi, some kid/teen stuff, and Barbara Kingsolver and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I've never read books that bored me, though. Even in school, I just wouldn't.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#16 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Anything by William Faulkner.

I do not care how many Pulitzers he won; I did not give them to him.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#17 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankay
.....ANYTHING by William Faulkner.
Just saw your post, and ITA!!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#18 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:24 AM

I had to read Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli, Rousseau, Marx, and Hobbes for Political Theory at UCLA.

The class was two hours of lecture in a lecture hall...725 students in the class, and two hours with a teaching assistant to explain the lecture. :

The worst theorist in that lineup to read was Thomas Hobbes, The Leviathan. After I read it, I still did not know what he said.

I would have preferred to read Thomas Locke rather than Hobbes. :Puke

#19 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 AM

i agree i dislike hemingway -- and old man was sooooooooooooooooo bad (poorly writting imo). buttttttt still in 2nd for me.

Course, i like Austin.

To each our own.....

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#20 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

There's actually a book that could help with that -- Nathaniel Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. It's about the shipwrecked sailors whose boat was stove in by a whale. The sailors later had to commit cannibalism to survive, lost out in the Pacific for 93 days. Really, really gripping book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972
moby dick.

the only book -- in my years of school and college -- that i didn't get through.

one of very very very few book i have ever giving up on.

trust me, i will read anything.
#21 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Shameful confession time: I'm an English teacher.

I hate almost all American literature except for two types of writers: the freaks and the geeks.

Freaks: Poe, Whitman, Dickinson
Geeks: Dickinson, Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Nearly everything I had to read in American Lit. minus the opulent Great Gatsby. I shall single out The Grapes of Wrath as the most dull book I've ever had the misfortune of setting my eyes upon.
#22 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmonkeys
I hated - The Old Man and the Sea - I know people loved it but I hate boats & fishing and it just made me want to scream....
Ugh, me too. Who the hell CARES!!??? He kills a fish! Big deal! Macho grap.
#23 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
On the other hand, Joyce's Ulysses I'm still having a difficult time with after a decade and wonder if I'll ever get through it with any understanding whatsoever, much to the chagrin of the rabid Joyce fans that I know. :LOL

I never even attempted it. :

For those of you who are real gluttons for punishment and aren't familiar with Joyce, here's the opening of Finnegans Wake (no, I didn't forget the apostrophe; it comes that way).

riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend
of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
Sir Tristram, violer d'amores, fr'over the short sea, had passencore rearrived from North Armorica on this side the scraggy isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.
The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronn tuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnu k!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of theoffwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan, erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes: and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since devlinsfirst loved livvy.
#24 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 02:32 AM

Ethan Frome- Edith Wharton...hated it and this was at least 15 years ago and I still remember how much I hated it!
#25 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 02:48 AM

I (like a alot of you ) can and will read anything. I've only come across one book that I was unable to finish and that was a lame-o paperback my dh had. When we were dating I stayed at his place often and was bored one day while he was at work so scrounged through his book collection. There was a small novel called Ice Station Zebra and since I had a couple hours to kill I thought it would do. Oh. My. Word. 10 years later and I still get annoyed by it. I couldn't finish it. I got rid of it when we moved in together since it was always around taunting me.

I found out later it was also a movie haven't watched it either.

mum to a crew...
#26 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Baudelaire
I never even attempted it. : For those of you who are real gluttons for punishment and aren't familiar with Joyce, ...

FYI, the works of James Joyce were banned on most college campuses in America in the early twentieth century. His writings were considered obscene. Graduate students would pass his books around the dormitories and eagerly read Ulysses, Portrait of a Man..., and Finnegan's Wake.

The copies were all beaten up and ragged. My English professor told me this in my Sophomore year.

Now, no one reads his stuff...

Maybe if we ban them again, they will again be interesting!

#27 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 04:08 AM

Gertrude Stein's "The Making of Americans" is intolerable.

I got through 120 pages, and found myself talking like the freaking book.

I did read Ulysses, but I freely admit that I skipped some particularly tedious sections-- it's not good beach reading.
:LOL

ETA: applejuice, anybody willing to work that hard for a little purple writing deserves the reward. :LOL
#28 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 04:13 AM

And, in the name of all that's holy, how can anybody think the Grapes of Wrath is boring?

eeeeek!

I read it in the seventh grade and cried my eyeballs out for a week. Maybe I need to start reading Actual Books again instead of MDC.
#29 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 04:31 AM

Charles Dickens' Bleak House is by far the most boring to me. My high school AP English Lit teacher assigned it to me my senior year for an individual project as he said that I was the only student he'd known in years who could probably get through it. He changed his mind a week later and assigned me a different book, claiming it was just too mean to make me read such a yawn!
#30 of 202 Old 08-26-2005, 10:45 AM

I think some of the books people are listing as "boring" were assigned too early in life. There are a number of books I remember being assigned in high school that I didn't particualrly care for, BUT as an adult I truly enjoy. (Anything by Jane Austen comes to mind)

Although it was never assigned, Lord of the Rings is a good example. My folks gave the trilogy to me for X-mas when I was in 7th or 8th grade and I couldn't get through them. I reopened the 1st one last year (some 25 yrs later) and I absolutely devoured them!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page