L.M. Montgomery fans check in here - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 40 Old 11-08-2005, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finished Volume I of the journals. Fascinating! I'd like to immediately check out Vol. II but I won't - I didn't get anything else done cause I was so immersed in the book! I'd better pace myself.

Now I'm reading Mistress Pat . (It's easier to put down!) I don't think I'd enjoy it as much if I hadn't read the journal - "knowing" her a bit really enriches the book for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 11-09-2005, 01:31 AM

I have read every single book by L.M.MOntgomery I can get my hands on. I would have to say that my all time favorite Anne book is "Rilla of Ingleside." My favorite non-Anne book is "A Tangled Web" , followed closely behind by "The Blue CAstle" and the "Pat of Silverbush" books.

Glad to see I am not alone!
#33 of 40 Old 11-09-2005, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
I love the Anne books, but I especially love the Emily books.

Me too!
It's been a while, I should re-read them
#34 of 40 Old 11-14-2005, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I just finished Mistress Pat . I guess I'd never read it! (I thought I'd read all of her books.) I was surprised and shocked by the ending!!!

If I hadn't read the first of LMM's journals, I don't think I would have enjoyed this book as much. I would have found Pat's unending raptures over her home annoying and tedious. Having read the journal, I empathized with Pat (and with LMM!)
#35 of 40 Old 11-14-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napless
I just finished Mistress Pat .
If I hadn't read the first of LMM's journals, I don't think I would have enjoyed this book as much. I would have found Pat's unending raptures over her home annoying and tedious. Having read the journal, I empathized with Pat (and with LMM!)
Hmm, I might need to reread it then, I don't think that I have read that since I was in school. It isn't in my library of LMM books.
#36 of 40 Old 01-07-2006, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatojade
If you think vol 1 is sad - don't go anywhere near three, four and five.
It gets worse???! I just finished volume two - what a tragic life she had. I think I need a break before I continue with number three!

In spite of the tragedy, this was a fascinating read. Hearing how her books came to be is so interesting! (Further Chronicles of Avonlea was a result of a scam by her ex-publisher! At the end of Vol. 2, she has just finished Rilla of Ingleside and vows that she will never, ever write another Anne book - but she hasn't written Anne of Windy Poplars or Anne of Ingleside yet!

I frequently recognized passages in the journal that appear, word for word, in a novel.

Interesting - but kind of exhausting. I keep wanting her to live happily ever and am so sad to know she doesn't.
#37 of 40 Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 PM

I read the Anne books.. although I think there were a few I didn't have.. it seemed like I was reading a whole lot of Anne, and then there was Rilla.. must have missed something...

is the Emily series a "ghost writer?" Anyone know.. I hate that.. I used to read the Nancy Drew Carolyn Keene books, and they all went to a ghost writer...
#38 of 40 Old 01-09-2006, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sustainer
I love the Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea movies with Megan Follows, though I didn't care for The Continuing Story since it didn't even try to resemble the books.
I could not agree more, I was SO DISAPOINTED with it. Other than catching up with the actors, it was downright wrong.

Loved Rilla of Ingleside, but I was never a big fan of the Avonlea books for some reason, but I will definitely check Emily.
#39 of 40 Old 01-09-2006, 11:36 AM

I have been a L.M. Montgomery fan for a long time! I got Anne of Green Gables from my aunt when I was 10. I have all the Anne books, the Emily books, and Jane of Lantern Hill, The Story Girl, At the Altar, A Tangled Web, and Against the Odds. I've always loved Anne. I also have had a hard time being a redhead. I keep Anne of Green Gables and Pride and Prejudice at my bedside as my go-to books. Whenever I am in between books, or find my current book not as good as I hoped, I know I can pick up Anne Shirley (or Elizabeth Bennett) and just open to a page and read. I even named my oldest after these 2 heroines.
I've never read Montgomery's journals. I never even knew they were out there. I'll have to do a search.
#40 of 40 Old 01-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Banned

I love LM Montgomery.

I thought I was the only one to ever read "Blue Castle."

db

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page