The Wizard of Oz- book vs. movie - Mothering Forums

The Wizard of Oz- book vs. movie

zaksma's Avatar zaksma (TS)
10:42 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 13
11-04-2005 | Posts: 449
I am curious for those of you who have read The Wizard of Oz, how much is changed from the plot of the book to the plot in the movie? Obviously, I am thinking the book has got to be more detailed than the movie. The reason I am asking is because I am finishing up Wicked (which is ssoooo good) and I wondering if I could be missing anything significant in its plot by not reading The Wizard of Oz? It's just on of those books that I've thought about reading before, just never got around to it.
Birth Junky's Avatar Birth Junky
03:46 AM Liked: 144
#2 of 13
11-05-2005 | Posts: 1,939
It has been a long time since I read The Wizard of Oz (and the rest of the Oz books), so I couldn't make too specific of a comparison . . . but obviously there is a lot of compression, as with any time they turn a book into a movie. (I couldn't BELIEVE how much got left out of the Lord of the Rings movies!) I highly recommend the Oz series--in fact, now you've got me thinking about re-reading them! Might have to give "Wicked" a try, too . . .
shanagirl's Avatar shanagirl
01:59 AM Liked: 0
#3 of 13
11-08-2005 | Posts: 508
I love books but I have to say the Wizard of Oz movie is just so quirky and distinctive whereas the book is rather flat and wordy. Judy Garland's singing is so beautiful, and the Cowardly Lion (Bert Lahr) is just so fantastic, I would say this is a case where the movie far surpassed the book in terms of making the story vivid and compelling. I do remember that the movie skips a section of another land they go to at the end of the book--which is very much an anticlimax in the book. So I think the movie selected well from the book in terms of editing the story for film.
alexisyael's Avatar alexisyael
04:08 PM Liked: 0
#4 of 13
11-08-2005 | Posts: 4,197
I loved the OZ books as a kid... but I think the later books were more my favorites than the first one. I am thinking about rereading them now, too!
lisalou's Avatar lisalou
04:28 PM Liked: 20
#5 of 13
11-08-2005 | Posts: 2,568
I read the Oz books as a kid. I liked them better than the movie. More background to it not so goody goody. But no huge plot differences from what I recall.
Divina's Avatar Divina
07:48 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 13
11-08-2005 | Posts: 390
I usually believe that books are always better than movies. I don't think the movie is better than the book in this case, but it's quite different. There are some plot differences, but mainly in the book Dorothy really does go to Oz, it's not "just a dream". I really liked both versions! I think reading the book is a good thing to do. It's not a long one. And the rest of the series is way fun.
carrots's Avatar carrots
09:48 PM Liked: 0
#7 of 13
11-08-2005 | Posts: 1,292
My dd is in a judy Garland stage and so I would have to say the movie wins over the book right now. The rest of the series gets better and better-- I recommend trying them out.
notyourusual's Avatar notyourusual
03:54 PM Liked: 0
#8 of 13
11-10-2005 | Posts: 60
I loved the books also when I was a little girl. I still have many of them. From what I remember, there were many differences between the books and the movies. I think the slippers were emerald, but I could be wrong.

I thought that Wicked was so different than the books/movie that I would guess that you're probably not missing anything.
srain's Avatar srain
01:23 AM Liked: 11
#9 of 13
11-13-2005 | Posts: 2,327
The book had significantly more violence in it, especially post-Emerald City. (It required major editing when reading to my son.)
njeb's Avatar njeb
12:06 PM Liked: 11
#10 of 13
11-13-2005 | Posts: 1,907
Most people don't know this, but there are actually TWO different Wizard of Oz movies out there; the first one is a silent movie from the 1910's or the 1920's. It's very different from the 1939 Judy Garland version. There are also several silent sequels. The only one I remember offhand is The Patchwork Girl of Oz. I highly recommend them!
Tuesday's Avatar Tuesday
11:22 AM Liked: 30
#11 of 13
11-14-2005 | Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksma
I am curious for those of you who have read The Wizard of Oz, how much is changed from the plot of the book to the plot in the movie? Obviously, I am thinking the book has got to be more detailed than the movie. The reason I am asking is because I am finishing up Wicked (which is ssoooo good) and I wondering if I could be missing anything significant in its plot by not reading The Wizard of Oz? It's just on of those books that I've thought about reading before, just never got around to it.
It's been years since I read L. Frank Baum's Oz series but I know I loved the books. One thing I remember is that those ruby slippers in the movie - in the book the magical slippers are SILVER. The original Wonderful Wizard of Oz book had much more detail and twists to the plot which were not shown in the movie. The book went into great detail about the organization of "Oz" and its people. I can see how some might not enjoy his writing but I thought he was truly an incredible artist - creating such a wonderful weird world in his books. My favourite non Oz book by Baum is "The Magical Monarch of Mo" but I believe it's hard to find.

Just to clarify - I've read "Wicked" and I don't think it is necessary to have read the original Baum series to understand Wicked's plot.

http://www.literature.org/authors/ba...-wizard-of-oz/

This link above actually shows the book!
nonnymoose's Avatar nonnymoose
03:47 PM Liked: 10
#12 of 13
11-14-2005 | Posts: 2,271
I grew up with the original series of books as well - I liked them much more than the WoO movie. You have to love a book where the main character is a bewitched pumpkin jammed on the end of a sharpened stick
lilsishomemade's Avatar lilsishomemade
04:56 PM Liked: 11
#13 of 13
11-14-2005 | Posts: 1,512
I need to reread the book. The biggest thing I remember is that when reading the book, I finally realized why all the scenes from Kansas were filmed in black and white instead of color.
Reply Subscribe Books, Music, and Media