Yoga videos? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend a good yoga video? I've never done yoga before and have been wanting to try it for a long time. I've looked at some books, but exercising with a book is kind of awkward, kwim? I'm more interested in the relaxation rather than the fitness aspect, so anything called "Power Yoga" or something like that probably won't be for me (unfortunately this is what I mostly see in stores!) Thanks in advance!

#2 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 10:51 AM

I totally agree with you about books - they don't stay open and then you are craning your head around to see the pages which distorts the pose you're trying to get into. I started out with the ubiquitous Living Arts videos (at blockbuster, sports authority - I see them everywhere!) and though better than a book there is roughly the same problem, I think - you end up turning to look at the screen and the audio doesn't always clue you in to when they've moved on so you don't really get into each pose. Also they don't show you every angle so sometimes I'm wondering if I'm really doing it right because I can't see the guys toes, for eaxmple. That said, Rodney Yee is to my mind, eye candy and I don't mind not seeing his toes if I can sort of ogle him in various other positions. So I recommend his videos from that series. Actually I do like him best, not just because he's cute! Some of the other folks are too flexible for words and aren't that good at offering less flexible options. I know they have a Yoga for Relaxation tape, though I'm not sure if he does it.

I actually love a 2 CD set that I got done by Shiva Rea - one for an active workout and one disc for relaxation, I've long lost the case so I'm not sure what the set is called - the individual discs are Solar Practice and Lunar Practice. She includes a large map of all the poses so at first you have to refer to that but I think she describes each pose well as you do it so you can just be in it and really relax and not be looking at anything.

I can loan you my videos if you want - or else you could see whats at the library - thats how I started my infatuaton with Rodney Yee!
#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 04:44 PM

I like the Yoga Journal series of videos. Try "AM/PM Yoga" or "Beginners Yoga" - nice intros and fairly gentle. If you want a more intermediate video I like the video called "Total Yoga" (it's not by Yoga Journal), but you can find it pretty easily.

I like the Yoga for Relaxation tape, but you need alot of props and no kids around!

I would also avoid power yoga videos - unless you have an instructor watching your form you could risk injurying yourself.

Namaste,
Kathleen
#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 07:00 PM

I just got YogaZone's Yoga Sculpting and really enjoy it. They have a show on the Health Network (I think) so maybe you can watch them and see if you like their style.
#5 of 6 Old 01-09-2002, 07:14 PM

Definately the AM, PM and Stress Relief videos from Living Arts. ( www.gaiam.com ) They are 20 mins in length each, and make you feel real good. (4 mins for centering, 13 min wookout, and 3 mins relaxation) and you can do them with a 17 month old crawling over ya.

I just started yoga too, ive been doing it for 2 months now using those videos. I've added Yoga for Weight Loss video which is awesome, but it's an hour long so its reserved for weekends when dh can play with dd. That one has 4 people doing variations based on your lvl of fitness.

I love Patricia Walden, her voice is so soothing that I instantly relax as soon as she starts talking. She does the PM Yoga for Beginners. Wonder if she has a meditation tape.....

#6 of 6 Old 01-10-2002, 04:50 PM

My favorite is Total Yoga. The AM/PM tapes by Living Arts are great for beginners. Power Yoga by Living Arts is good and really not as strenuous as you may think...kind of a step between AM/ PM & Total Yoga.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page