Book Challenge: January 2006 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 181 Old 01-22-2006, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#10 Forever Odd by Dean Koontz Sequel to Odd Thomas...another eh from me.
#122 of 181 Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM

#4 - The Coffee Trader, by David Liss

Quote:
Liss's first novel, A Conspiracy of Paper, was sketched on the wide canvas of 18th-century London's multilayered society. This one, in contrast, is set in the confined world of 17th-century Amsterdam's immigrant Jewish community. Liss makes up the difference in scale with ease, establishing suspense early on. Miguel Lienzo escaped the Inquisition in Portugal and lives by his wits trading commodities. He honed his skills in deception during years of hiding his Jewish identity in Portugal, so he finds it easy to engage in the evasions and bluffs necessary for a trader on Amsterdam's stock exchange. While he wants to retain his standing in the Jewish community, he finds it increasingly difficult to abide by the draconian dictates of the Ma'amad, the ruling council. Which is all the more reason not to acknowledge his longing for his brother's wife, with whom he now lives, having lost all his money in the sugar trade. Miguel is delighted when a sexy Dutch widow enlists him as partner in a secret scheme to make a killing on "coffee fruit," an exotic bean little known to Europeans in 1659. But she may not be as altruistic as she seems. Soon Miguel is caught in a web of intricate deals, while simultaneously fending off a madman desperate for money, and an enemy who uses the Ma'amad to make Miguel an outcast. Each player in this complex thriller has a hidden agenda, and the twists and turns accelerate as motives gradually become clear. There's a central question, too: When men manipulate money for a living, are they then inevitably tempted to manipulate truth and morality?
This is absolutely fascinating reading...the details of the Jewish community in Amsterdam and of the beginnings of the trading markets are readable and compelling. The main character, Miguel Lienzo, is also well developed.

#1 Weird Pennsylvania, #2 The Drowning Tree, #3 Double Homicide, #4 The Coffee Trader
#123 of 181 Old 01-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Numbers 1-9

Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver
Sleeping Murder by Agatha Christie (the last Miss Marple one she wrote, I hadn't read it before. liked it. pretty clever)
Island at the Center of the World (very interesting non-fiction about the Dutch colony of Manhattan)
Child of My Heart by Alice McDermott
The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (first one in a new series. fun, but not as GREAT as his Thursday Next series.)
Blink by Malcom Gladwell
The World is Flat by Thomas Friedmann
The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood
Guardian Angel by Sara Paretsky

Well, that's what I can think of for now, I guess. So we'll say I've read 9 books so far. (I think if I thought longer, I'd come up with some more, but hey).

I'm currently reading #10, Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls by Rachel Simmons. I'm about 40 pages in and it's really interesting so far. From the back cover:

Dirty looks, taunting notes, exclusion from social groups -- there is a hidden culture of girls' aggression in our schools that is as widespread as it is painful. Here, bestselling author Rachel Simmons exposes the truth about what's going on, and she helps everyone -- from parents and teachers to coaches and counselors -- understand how to cope.

I'm excited about sharing book ideas!
#124 of 181 Old 01-22-2006, 10:45 PM

bufomander, what a username! anyway, what did you think of Blink? I'm half through it, finding it a little pointless. I'm just not sure what he's trying to get at, big-picture.
#125 of 181 Old 01-23-2006, 12:19 PM

#19 Squire by Tamora Pierce
#20 Lady Knight by Tamora Pierce
#21 D is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton
#22 E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton

I am thoroughly enjoying both Julie and Julia by Julie Powell & Robbing the Bees By Holley Bishop. I am sure one of them would be done by now if I didn't keep leaving them in the van or at work.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#126 of 181 Old 01-23-2006, 12:38 PM

#1 Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult

I enjoy her style. Another good one by her is "My Sister's Keeper."

#2 Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

I was reading "A Million Little Pieces", but stopped because I didn't want to waste my time. Cold Fire was good. I figured it out toward the end, but it was still fun to see how it ended.

#3 Phantoms by Koontz - in progress. So far so good, but slow. This is supposed to be the the book which labeled Koontz a "horror writer" when he prefers to be known for suspence and thrillers.

Peace - and Happy Reading,
Amy

hh2.gif

#127 of 181 Old 01-23-2006, 03:28 PM

benjalo --
about blink -- i thought all the anecdotes were interesting just for their own sake. Yeah, i don't know. is his main point that we should pay more attention to our first instincts/reactions?

i remembered another book i've read this month!
double identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix. it's a great chapter book about cloning. (sorry, i spoiled the surprise!)

Which makes odd girl out my 11th book...
#128 of 181 Old 01-23-2006, 04:40 PM

I'm in, but I don't think I'll set a number. I've been pretty slow this year.

So far I've read:

Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult -- I didn't find this book as intriguing as most of her other books. A little disappointed. I really enjoyed My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, and Perfect Match, all by Picoult.

I've started to read the Harry Potter books. I'm only on Book 1 right now.

I'm not as quick as most of you, but I think this will be fun! Also, I love getting recommendations from all of you!
#129 of 181 Old 01-23-2006, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

#4 The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
I loved this book. I wasn't sure that I would because sometimes "bestsellers" turn out to be more hype than quality, but not this book. The underlying theme of bees throughout was beautiful, and I fell in love with the "calendar sisters." But what got me most were the main character Lily's feelings of abandonment, anger, and low self-worth. When you lose a parent to death or abandonment, those feelings all whirl around inside you, sometimes all at once. I was amazed to read in the interview with the author at the back that she had both of her parents growing up.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't borrowed this but had bought a copy for myself to keep!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#130 of 181 Old 01-23-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander
about blink -- i thought all the anecdotes were interesting just for their own sake. Yeah, i don't know. is his main point that we should pay more attention to our first instincts/reactions?
I guess, except he spends at least half of the book giving stories about times when the first response was wrong. Well, my dp wanted me to read it, so I did. Have you read the other one he wrote that was a bestseller? I think The Tipping Point? I'm not tempted, based on Blink.
#131 of 181 Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 PM

#3 My Friend Leonard James Frey

okay better than Million Pieces because I looked at it as fiction. I hate his writing style: I spoke
what was that?
Leonard spoke
I think it was a knock.
I spoke
who do you think it is?
Leonard spoke
blah blah blah What happened to "I said" "He said" " I whispered" etc.....

next up Nights in Rodanthe by Nicloas Spark(s?)
#132 of 181 Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 PM

Offered a lot of insight. Recommended for parents who are considering their child's diet is linked to their behavior.
#133 of 181 Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 PM

"The Winter of Our Discontent" by John Steinbeck.

All I can say is WOW! What a great book with a strong message. A New England man - very honest, hardworking but his family wants him to be rich and successful.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#134 of 181 Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 PM

mamadege5: I loved Nights in Rodanthe - read it in a day!

Jenn
#135 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 10:13 AM

I thought I was becoming a fan of Alexander McCall Smith but I just could not slog through 44 Scotland Street. I hate not finishing a book once I start reading but life is too short to read something you don't enjoy-right? I will try more #1 ladies Detective Agency reads though.
#136 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjalo
I guess, except he spends at least half of the book giving stories about times when the first response was wrong. Well, my dp wanted me to read it, so I did. Have you read the other one he wrote that was a bestseller? I think The Tipping Point? I'm not tempted, based on Blink.

I haven't read The Tipping Point. There's so much other great non-fiction out there that I'm not really very tempted to pick it up, either. And yeah, that's a good point, he did give a lot of examples of times where the first response was wrong...hmm.... any one else have great insights about this book? (Blink by Malcom Gladwell)
#137 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 12:40 PM

I read The Tipping Point...either earlier this month or late last month? Jumped around too much for my liking.

#11 The English Teacher by Lily King
Quote:
With superb craftsmanship, effortlessly suspenseful pacing, and tenderly observed insight, Lily King expertly limns the life of an independent single mother and her fifteen-year-old son, who is on a circuitous path toward a truth she has long concealed from him. Fifteen years ago Vida Avery arrived alone and pregnant at elite Fayer Academy. By living on campus, on an island off the New England coast, Vida has cocooned herself and her son, Peter, from the outside world and from an inside secret. For years she has lived largely through the books she teaches, but when she accepts the impulsive marriage proposal of ardent widower Tom Belou, the prescribed life Vida has constructed is swiftly dismantled. As Vida begins teaching her signature book, Tess of the D’Urbervilles, a tale of an ostracized woman and social injustice, its themes begin to echo eerily in her own life and Peter sees that the mother he perceived as indomitable is collapsing and it is up to him to help. The English Teacher is a passionate tale of a mother and son’s vital bond and a provocative look at our notions of intimacy, honesty, loyalty, family, and the real meaning of home.
I am just NOT getting into some of these books lately, don't know if it's just me or what....

and then I picked up this one, am almost done so will review it here because I'm enjoying it!
#12 The Space Between Us by Thrity Umrigar
Quote:
Each morning, Bhima, a domestic servant in contemporary Bombay, leaves her own small shanty in the slums to tend to another woman's house. In Sera Dubash's home, Bhima scrubs the floors of a house in which she remains an outsider. She cleans furniture she is not permitted to sit on. She washes glasses from which she is not allowed to drink. Yet despite being separated from each other by blood and class, she and Sera find themselves bound by gender and shared life experiences.

Sera is an upper-middle-class Parsi housewife whose opulent surroundings hide the shame and disappointment of her abusive marriage. A widow, she devotes herself to her family, spending much of her time caring for her pregnant daughter, Dinaz, a kindhearted, educated professional, and her charming and successful son-in-law, Viraf.

Bhima, a stoic illiterate hardened by a life of despair and loss, has worked in the Dubash household for more than twenty years. Cursed by fate, she sacrifices all for her beautiful, headstrong granddaughter, Maya, a university student whose education -- paid for by Sera -- will enable them to escape the slums. But when an unwed Maya becomes pregnant by a man whose identity she refuses to reveal, Bhima's dreams of a better life for her granddaughter, as well as for herself, may be shattered forever.

Poignant and compelling, evocative and unforgettable, The Space Between Us is an intimate portrait of a distant yet familiar world. Set in modern-day India and witnessed through two compelling and achingly real women, the novel shows how the lives of the rich and the poor are intrinsically connected yet vastly removed from each other, and vividly captures how the bonds of womanhood are pitted against the divisions of class and culture.
#138 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillian
I thought I was becoming a fan of Alexander McCall Smith but I just could not slog through 44 Scotland Street. I hate not finishing a book once I start reading but life is too short to read something you don't enjoy-right? I will try more #1 ladies Detective Agency reads though.
I know what you mean. I love every book in the Ladies Detective Agency series but couldn't really get into the couple of other books of his that I tried.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#139 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 06:22 PM

#3 The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks

Really enjoyed it! I am a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks and really liked The Notebook, so it was only natural that I read The Wedding.

This story is about one of Noah and Allie's (characters from The Notebook) daughters, Jane, and her husband, Wilson. Incredible love story and it almost makes me jealous that I cannot wake up next to Wilson every morning.
#140 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 06:56 PM

Just finished Murder in Georgetown by Margaret Truman

#1 - Cereal Murders Diane Mott Davidson
#2 - The Last Suppers Diane Mott Davidson
#3 - Murder in Foggy Bottom Margaret Truman
#4 - The Body Farm Patricia Cornwell
#5 - Murder in Georgetown Margaret Truman

Jenn
#141 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 07:07 PM

rabrog~ I do my reading at night, I've had an UN-cooperative-I'm-not-going-to-sleep 18 mos old. It started out really good.
#142 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 08:26 PM

Hey, this seems like a good place to mention this website -- snozzberry mentioned that she wished she'd bought the secret life of bee instead of borrowing it, and it made me think of Paperbackswap. I've been a member there since the beginning of November and I really have enjoyed it. Basically, you need to post 9 books that you own that you are willing to get rid of. Once you've done that, you get three free credits to start "shopping" on other people's "bookshelves". Other people will shop from yours, and when you send them a book, you get another credit! I've sent out 23 books and received 31. I highly recommend this site. I'm glad to answer any questions -- I don't always describe things well! If you decide to join and tell them i referred you (bufomander is my user name there, too) I'll get some free credits.
#143 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 08:38 PM

lish, THANKS!! The Space Between Us sounds right up my alley and I'm dying for some good fiction right now.

eta DANG : The library has ordered a copy but I'm going to have to wait. Grrr.

Anyone want to help me with good fiction? I tend to like Asian/Indian historical fiction, am open to good YA books, basically an well-written novel that isn't overly violent or full of bad stuff happening to kids (pregnancy sensitivity). I don't really get into fluff.
#144 of 181 Old 01-25-2006, 09:08 PM

I just noticed this thread! How fun! Hope y'all dont mind if I join in

I would like to set a goal of 50 books this year. Less than 1 a week seems reasonable, 1 a week seems a little lofty working outside the home full time and bringing up a 16mo

I started a book journal last fall and have really enjoyed keeping track of what I am reading.

So far this year I have read;

#1The Stand--Stephen King

I read this after I read somewhere that the tv show Lost is loosely based on this novel. And frankly, I was riveted by the novel. It's a post-apocalyptic story about a struggle between good and evil with the remaining humans left after a superflu wipes most everyone out. I thought it was pretty good, in a quick read kind of way. My friends all commented they were surprised I was reading a Stephen King novel, but it's not typical horror at all. I would recommend it.

Off to see if I can get a few pages read of my current novel, The River Why
#145 of 181 Old 01-26-2006, 02:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Cat in a Hot Pink Pursuit" by Carol Nelson Douglas

from Amazon:
Quote:
Thirty-year-old Temple Barr, Las Vegas PR whiz and amateur sleuth, goes undercover as 19-year-old Xoe Chloe Ozone on a reality TV show, Teen Idol, in Douglas's 17th Midnight Louie caper (after 2004's Cat in an Orange Twist), one of the stronger, leaner entries in this crime-solving cat series. Declining to compete for Teen Pet Idol, feline PI Midnight Louie decides to help Temple protect homicide lieutenant C.R. Molina's 13-year-old daughter, Mariah, who's competing for the Tween division title, from a stalker. Held at a spooky mansion, scene of an old unsolved crime, the contest features eccentric judges, Paris Hilton wannabes, a ghostly Elvis and witty reflections on beauty/reality showbiz. Amid multiple murders, Douglas hints at complications to come for Molina as she deals with a new admirer and her ex-lover, Mariah's dad. Meanwhile, Temple struggles to resolve a deliciously romantic dilemma that should thrill fans of Matt, the divine ex-priest, and worry devotees of her other major suitor, Mystifying Max, "stage magician on hiatus."
"Wait Until Midnight" by Amanda Quick

A fluff re-read from my bookshelf.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#146 of 181 Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjalo
lish, THANKS!! The Space Between Us sounds right up my alley and I'm dying for some good fiction right now.

eta DANG : The library has ordered a copy but I'm going to have to wait. Grrr.

Anyone want to help me with good fiction? I tend to like Asian/Indian historical fiction, am open to good YA books, basically an well-written novel that isn't overly violent or full of bad stuff happening to kids (pregnancy sensitivity). I don't really get into fluff.
Have you read Green Grass, Running water? It is an American Indian book (Canadian Indians) full of magical realism and such. Very interesting. Required reading in a college class I took and really good. There was another book in the class I took about a British woman who marries into an East Indian family.. can't remember teh name of it now, thouhg.. it was pretty good too.
#147 of 181 Old 01-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Just finished #3 - Phantoms by Dean Koontz

It was good, but stumbled at the end. Seemed to be wrapped up too quickly, but I enjoyed it. The story seemed so familiar, too. Had deja vu the whole time, and I know I've never read it. Hmmm...

Now, I'm starting #4 - The Eight by Katherine Neville

From the back cover...

New York City, 1972 - Catherine Velis is a computer expert for a Big Eight accounting firm...Cat is approached by an antiques dealer with a mysterious offer : His anonymous client is trying to collect the pieces of an ancient chess service...

The south of France, 1790 - France is aflame with revolution, and two young novices...burn to rebel against their ...convent life at Montglane Abbey. Buried deep within the abbey are pieces of a chess service once owned by Charlemagne. ...the pieces must be scattered throughout the world.

I'm also reading a book about chess to help understand parts of the book. Can't remember the name of it.

Peace,
Amy

hh2.gif

#148 of 181 Old 01-26-2006, 02:48 PM

"Jesus Land" by Julia Scheeres

Well - the LA Times was right on about this book. It was AMAZING.

It's a memoir about a girl growing up in an ultra-religious household. She and her 3 siblings are white but the family adopts two black kids and they are treated differently. The book is a lot about racism and how religion can be abused and twisted and growing up in the midwest. It was absolultely heart wrenching. I couldn't put it down.

Alkenny - you have to read this . . .

#149 of 181 Old 01-26-2006, 04:31 PM

Well, thanks to the flu I am closer to my goal! I have a bunch of new books on the waiting list at the library, unfortunately not too many of my favorite authors publish this time of year...

I am currently reading Every Breath You Take by Judith McNaught. Her historicals are some of my very favorite books ever, but her contemporaries, especially the mysteries, are not my faves. I know part of my goal was to read longer, more serious books, so I am also working on The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics by Jessica Porter. So far so good!!

ETA: forgot one! Jon Stewart's America: The Book. If you haven't read it, go out and get it right now. Right now!

Goal for 2006: 60 books- 1. The Historian 2. Eleven on Top 3. Blood Memory 4. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (#2 re-read) 5. America: the Book
#150 of 181 Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 AM

#7 The Drowning Tree by Carol Goodman

Highly recommended! I could not put this book down and was sad when it was over. I can't wait to read her other books

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page