Book Challenge: January 2006 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to the book challenge? Just set a goal for the books you'll read this year and keep us updated on your progress in this thread and in threads for future months. Include the book title, a comment about whether you liked it (or a review if you want), and the number of the book in your running tally for the year. Don't worry if you've found us after your reading year's already started -- jump in anytime. And if you hit your goal, throw yourself a party!

For more info, check out the very first thread about the challenge.

Book challenge old-timer? Let's hear those challenges for 2006! I only read 29 in 2005 but I'm going to try for 52 this year. That should make a sizable dent in my to-read mountain! (Of course, that didn't stop me from buying 15 more books at a 20% off sale at my favorite local bookstore today.) : And don't forget to post a summary of your 2005 reads!

Goals for 2006

0-49
alaskanteach (12)
Bearsmama (20)
grumo (45)
Quillian (30)
Vermillion (24)

50-99
bricorssk (52)
devonc (60)
dziejen (52)
HollysMom (50)
kofduke (52)
LadyBug & BabyBug (75)
loftmama (52)
mamabird32 (75)
snozzberry (52)
Traci mom23boys (50)

100-149
Astrid (125)
chanale (100)
phathui5 (104)
rabrog (100)

150-199

200-249
earthmommy (200)
Indigo73 (200)

250+
MamaBug (250)

No set goal
Alkenny
cathe
kimmie-pooh
konamama
mamadege5
milagras
nancy926
Queen Gwen

Updated thru post #128

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 03:40 AM

I read 35 last year, my goal was 50. This year I want to read 45 - one a week with a little leeway.
#3 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 11:51 AM

My goal is going to be 200, mostly because I want to sprinkle more non-fiction into my reading list, which was my goal last year. I did okay at the beginning but started slacking toward the end. 3 in 10 books should be non-fiction, I think.

#1 Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce (read Trickster's Choice last year)

From School Library Journal
Grade 7-10–In this sequel to the well-received Trickster's Choice (Random, 2003), Pierce deftly weaves an unforgettable story about Alianne (Aly) of Pirate's Swoop. As the novel opens, the wife and children of the late Duke Mequen Balitang return to the capital city of Rajmuat from their exile on their distant estate. Aly has become a maid to Lady Dovasary, daughter of the late duke, and, more importantly, she is now the spymaster of the raka rebellion that is determined to put Dovasary's sister on the throne in place of the four-year-old luarin king. The light-skinned luarin have oppressed the dark-skinned raka for centuries, and the luarin co-regents now in charge of the Copper Isles are losing their grip on reality as well as on their kingdom. With Aly in control, the raka rebellion is able to stir up enough unrest to cause the uprising to begin. Aly, who is the daughter of Alanna the Lioness of Tortall (from the "Lioness Quartet" series), is delightful in her deviousness. The teen is exceptionally brave, sassy, and diplomatic. She is surrounded by a large supporting cast, which is well developed and necessary to the story. The plot sweeps readers along in a whirlwind of court intrigue, deception, murder, and romance. The humor is wicked, and the plot twists will keep the pages turning to the supremely satisfying end. Teens will be inspired by Aly's determination, her resourcefulness, and her heart.–Anna M. Nelson, Seabrook Library, NH

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#4 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 03:36 PM

52! I'm going for a second year of an average of one book per week. Some weeks, it's less, but hopefully in the summer I can catch up a lot. A book a week was a little more than I normally would've read, not much but enough to enjoy the push. I'm currently reading another Alexander McCall Smith book and loving it.

Oh and Snozzberry, where is the big sale? I normally only get my books from the library but I got a g.c. from a local bookstore called BookPeople. Is it the same one? I might need to head over there!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#5 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Woo hoo, the new thread!

I read 114 in 2005, I was pretty pleased. I quickly learned that with a babe (and then toddler) I couldn't read at my pre-mommy pace.

I'm expecting number 2 this year so I know that come July I'll have even less time for reading.

My goal for this year is 75 books.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Count me in! I am new to this but I am up to a good challenge! Plus I love to read so this will inspire me. I will set my goal for 52 books this year. Plus this will be a good way for me to get some good reading ideas.
#7 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 03:52 PM

checking back in... didn't post for the last few months of 2005, just too much going on... but was still reading away :-))
no set goal, seems to take the fun out of reading for me... but will post the books I read in case anyone else might enjoy since I have found TONS of great books from this thread!!
have a peaceful month of reading enjoyment...
#8 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 04:16 PM

I'm also setting my goal at 52! Hope to have my first done soon.
#9 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well my goal for this year is to write more and read less so I'm not going to keep count. I want to stay in the group though so I can get all the good recommendations.

Here's my first book of the year:

Daalder's Chocolates by Philibert Schogt

This book was not as good as I thought it would be - not enough about the specifics of making chocolate and the uptight, snobby main character really started to get on my nerves after a while.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#10 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 07:02 PM

I found the Challenge at the end of last year but decided to wait til January to really jump in.... I'll make my goal 60 books because I really want to read more longer, in depth books instead of the usual fluff I bang out in two days.

Currently reading:

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova-- I'm sure it's already been reviewed but I am really intrigued by it so far!

Good luck everyone!!!

1) The Historian
#11 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama
Oh and Snozzberry, where is the big sale? I normally only get my books from the library but I got a g.c. from a local bookstore called BookPeople. Is it the same one? I might need to head over there!
Oh no...you just missed it! On New Year's Day, BookPeople had a sale for 20% off everything in the store. It's my favorite store in the world, so I had to set a limit for myself so I didn't go crazy and spend our down payment money...but I stuck to it, so I'm pretty happy about that!

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#12 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Add me in!

My goal for this year is 104 books, 2 a week.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#13 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 08:10 PM

My last years goal was 100 and I just made it at the end of December I am feeling bold this year and so I am going to set my goal for 125

My first book of the year:
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies by Alexander McCall Smith
# 6 in the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series I love this series and am sad this is the last one published so far. Hopefully the next one will be out soon! I should try some of his other books to get me by
#14 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 10:21 PM

Astrid, I was in a bookstore tonight and saw a book by him that was recommended with something like "Sausage Dog" in the story. Have you read that one? Do you know the order of the books? I've gotten another one from the library, but it's clearly out of order. The books don't seem to mention any particular order, as far as I know.

#15 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 PM

Snozzberry,

Aaargh! : I just got back and saw that I missed it! Oh, well. It's always fun to hang out and I enjoyed using my g.c. anyway! I just don't keep up with local new enough.

#16 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 10:37 PM

loftmama, I haven't read any of his other books - just the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency. I believe this is the order of the books:
1- The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
2- Tears of the Giraffe
3- Morality for Beautiful Girls
4- The Kalahari Typing School for Men
5- The Full Cupboard of Life
6- In The Company of Cheerful Ladies

Happy reading!
#17 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 11:30 PM

I am joining in this year! I also have no set goal....just want to get back into reading regularly (which is more difficult to do with a 3-year-old AND a 5-month-old!).

Not sure if this counts as #1 since I started it in 2005, but finished it yesterday. LOL.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Jonathan Safran Foer. A precocious nine-year-old loses his father to 9/11, finds a mysterious key in his dad's closet, and sets out to find the lock it fits. I loved some things to bits (Oskar, the nine-year-old, has a great voice and some of the sentences in the book just rang so true) and other things bugged me (JSF doesn't use paragraphs for dialogue, for instance.) I am definitely reading JSF's first book now though.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#18 of 181 Old 01-02-2006, 11:57 PM

I would love in....
This would help me relax a lot more!
Put me down for 75 books....
I just finished my first book,
One I got for the Holidays, Miss Julia's School of Beauty. It's a series of Miss Julia books. She's a funny older woman who speaks her mind!
#19 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 AM

ooohhh....I want in.

I read quite a bit, so I would say a goal of about 200 sounds nice.

I am currently reading the second book of the Outlander series.. "Dragonfly in Amber". Also, "Caribou Rising" by Rick Bass.

Tanya
#20 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 AM

earthmommy, I am currently reading the third book in the Outlander series
Jamie
#21 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 AM

#1 - Weird Pennsylvania by Mark Moran

This book is a collection of the weird from all over PA. There's write-ups on hauntings, roadside oddities, abandoned buildings etc. - but you really get a sense of the history of the state. There's also a Weird US book and one for many other states - it's really intruiging and I'd recommend picking it up for your state!

#1 - Weird Pennsylvania
#22 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 01:46 PM

"Conversations with the Fat Girl" by Liza Palmer

Totally bad book but I was desperate for something to read (libraries have been closed for the holiday). An overweight girl trying to get some self-esteem while her formerly fat girl friend is now skinny and getting married.

Can't wait to get to the library today on my way out of town

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#23 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Joining!! I don't want to set a goal right now. If I can ever finish that Million Little Pieces book....
I am also going to join my high school's alumnae book club. Can I copy/paste thier list here for titles?
#24 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 06:20 PM

I would love to join. My goal is 50 books. One a week is a bit more than I usually read, should be a fun challenge.

I just finished *Angels & Demons* by Dan Brown. I read *The Da Vinci Code* several years ago, loved it! We went to see King Kong last week, the preview for Da Vinci Code looked great so I thought I would read Angels then Da Vinci again before the movie came out. *Angels & Demons* was good however not as wonderful as*The Da Vinci Code* in my humble opinion.

Can't wait to see all the recommendations! Oh, I LOVED the *Outlander Series* I finished *Snow & Ashes* in November-delicious!

Peace & Blessings,
Traci
Mom to Ryan 5-90, Jake 1-93, Justin 9-95
all born with love at home

~Traci, wife to DH 4-88. Mom to 3 homebirthed sons, 22,20&17

The Blue Door Farmhouse & traci.mymomentis.biz

#25 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 06:36 PM

No numerical goal here. My main goal is to finish reading more books, or maybe pick more books worth finishing...I started reading well over 100 books last year, but most of them got tossed (well, returned to the library) about 10% to 90% of the way through when I decided I just didn't really care.

I finished 2005 with #59 for me, The Rapture Exposed by Elizabeth Zimmerman. If you think Rapture theology (as in Left Behind) is, ummm, sort of of-the-wall, this explains where it came from. Gives a bit of alternative reading for Revelation. Okay reading even if you don't know squat about theology (that would describe me).

And to start 2006, #1 The Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman. I checked it out for the legging pattern, then started reading the whole thing sort of by accident. I've never been a fan of hers (which is absolute heresy in knitting circles), but it was sort of interesting. That "unventing" business gags me, though.

BTW, loftmama, I think the sausage dog book is part of the series about the professor. I read Portugese Irregular Verbs (also part of the series) last year. I liked it, but I think I was the only one who did. It's very different from No. 1 Detective Agency books.
#26 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 PM

Count me in! I’ve never participated in these threads before but since one of my 2006 goals is to read more, this is a fitting thread to join right now!

The only time I really read these days in while I’m riding my stationary bike, but I’m going to try to read more when I get the chance.

I have NO idea how many books I’ll be capable of reading this year. It’s been so long since I’ve read for pleasure (well, non-parenting books that is) but I used to read an entire book in 1 or 2 days before DS was born.

I'm going to shoot for a low number to start. Let's say 2 books a month. So put me down for 24. Hopefully this thread will inspire me to read more though!

Oh yeah, I'll start with what I'm reading currently. Book #1 Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman. I’m halfway through so far and I’m really enjoying it. I will definitely be reading her other 2 books asap!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#27 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 PM

I'm taking the plunge and joining this year I have taken advantage of all the reviews given in the past so now's the time for me to step up to the plate and contribute.Hmmm what will I set as a goal-achievable, realistic,but still a challenge for me is no doubt 30.

Currently reading:
"Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me!": the Solution to Sibling Bickeringby Anthony Wolf

Not that thrilled with it thus far. Some of his opinions ring true but others do not.

#1 Mom, Jason's Breathing on Me
#28 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 10:44 PM

The Outside World, Tova Mirvas (the author of "The Ladies Auxiliary")
Dinner with a Perfect Stranger, David Gregory

WOOO! I re-read The Ladies Auxiliary, but I ended it on 12/31, so it doesn't count.

I need more book recommendations!!!!!!!
#29 of 181 Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM

Mrs. Missy, I remember really liking The Ladies Auxiliary so I'm glad to see she has another book out. I'll have to request it.

Queen Gwen, I've heard about the Professor series. The Ladies Detective does sound much better to me.

#30 of 181 Old 01-04-2006, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
"Fractal Mode" by Piers Anthony

from Amazon:
Quote:
As Colene, the teenage heroine of Virtual Mode ( LJ 2/15/91), and her traveling companions continue their trek across the dimensions of reality, they encounter a fractal world where a young woman struggles to change her oppressive society. This second in Anthony's "Mode" books serves as a painless introduction to one of science's most intriguing concepts as well as a story of adventure and romance. The author's protagonists are as ingenuous as ever, infusing his story with an innocence that wavers between charming and cloying. His enthusiasm for new ideas, however, is infectious, and his imagination shows no signs of wear.
I'm rereading the Mode series, it's been a while since I've read any Piers.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page