Who loves Anime? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 02-05-2006, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For me, Pokemon has the same problem that Sailor Moon does (although not nearly as badly as SM), they've got a set number of plots and after you watch 2 episodes there's only about 5 minutes of really new material in each episode. Of course, Ranma 1/2 can get that way too and I've still watched a lot of that, so so much for that argument.

There is nothing wrong with utterly childish anime, it just isn't as guaranteed to be enjoyed by adults, if that makes any sense. Sort of like Barney, but not as bad. See with Barney, some adults are fine with it or at least tolerate it cause their 3 year old is fascinated, others see a bunch of kids hanging out after school with no adult supervision whatsoever in a classroom that apparently is filled with a hallucinogenic gas causing *all* the kids to think a toy dinosaur has come to life and is giant and feel that it's not at all appropriate. Whereas with anime, there'd just be a potential for a smidge of boredom with the repetitive nature of some episodes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 02-07-2006, 06:10 AM

LOL about the plots being so similar. My stepson noticed that when my dd plays with her Pokemon figurines, she sets up plots along similar lines as the shows. LOL Of course, the plot is only the skeleton. She adds some crazy stuff in there too!

I'll check out Ranma!
#33 of 56 Old 02-09-2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies!
I can't wait to check out some of the films that were suggested and watch them with my son! We won't have time till next week.

I just thought I would share the link to this site; it is a parental guide to Anime
http://www.abcb.com/parents/index.htm

You all might already be familiar with it. I was just wondering if you agree with the titles they suggest.

The pictures look so beautiful. I find allot of the children’s animation on TV so ugly. We have just blocked the teletoons channel.
My son is starting to outgrow some of the few cartoons I found acceptable or else he’s seen all the episodes so I am really looking forward to seeing some Anime with him!
#34 of 56 Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 PM

Hello again Anime fan!
I finally had time and watched Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind with my son.
It is absolutely beautiful! We loved it.
When we were checking DVDs out, we saw Kiki's delvery service but my son did not want to see it saying it was "just for girls".He is going through a phase at the moment everytime he sees girls on the cover he says it is only for girls.Nausicaa is a girl too but I guess there was enough action. And he loved the Ohmus.
I now realised some of the stuff I did not like on the teletoons channal that I blocked is also Anime like the Trans Formers,so certainly not all Anime is good.
I am looking forward to more Miyazaki (spelling?)films.
Did you see the one about the cat?
#35 of 56 Old 03-08-2006, 01:12 PM

Yeah, we finally got Nausicaa as well. We fast-forwarded through the "war stuff" that Sophia dislikes but overall, we loved the story. Sophie has been drawing pictures of the ohmu
#36 of 56 Old 03-08-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah
I am looking forward to more Miyazaki (spelling?)films.
Did you see the one about the cat?
You mean the one about the Manx? I saw that years ago, but don't remember much of anything about it, including the title.
#37 of 56 Old 03-08-2006, 02:21 PM

I have only seen a few things by Miyazaki (Spirited Away
and Princess Mononoke) and Akira.

I really grooved on the Miyazaki films but I didn't care for Akira that much. Visually it was great, but I don't think I quite got the story the way I was supposed to.

I appreciate all the ideas about what to see in this thead!
#38 of 56 Old 03-08-2006, 09:14 PM

An anime neophyte here, but what I know I love (spirited away, kiki's delivery service, etc.)-and I even like psuedo anime (Teen Titans)-is that bad? It's something that's definitely on my list for more exploration-thanks to everyone for mentioning their favorites.
#39 of 56 Old 03-11-2006, 11:09 AM

What about naruto stuff? Is that interesting for kids? (Keeping in mind, for my child, Princess Mononoke was too much and we had to fast-forward through the "war stuff" in Nausicaa...And she adores Pokemon.)
#40 of 56 Old 03-11-2006, 07:30 PM

The one I asked about the cat is " The Cat Returns".We just saw it. It is very good, very original.I recomend it for yourger children.There is no violence.It is produced by Miyazaki.
#41 of 56 Old 03-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah
The one I asked about the cat is "the Return of the Cat.We just saw it. It is very good, very original.I recomend it for yourger children.There is no violence.It is produced by Miyazaki.
Um...there is a scene at the Cat King's castle where the king doesn't like an entertainer, so he throws him out a window...that's kinda violent. There's also some chasing by guards. It's certainly not Princess Mononoke violent, though. My kids like it. (The Cat Returns)
#42 of 56 Old 03-12-2006, 06:56 AM

What about Sailor Moon? My eldest dd liked that show but now that I know more about it, I think I'm uncomfortable with the highly sexualized storylines.

For a child who likes anime, where can we go from here?
#43 of 56 Old 03-12-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera
Um...there is a scene at the Cat King's castle where the king doesn't like an entertainer, so he throws him out a window...that's kinda violent. There's also some chasing by guards. It's certainly not Princess Mononoke violent, though. My kids like it. (The Cat Returns)
Yikes! How could I have forgotten the scene with the entertainer! I was just so charmed from the film. And then the guards,well, I did not find that part so bad.It is much less violent that Nausticaa of the Valley of the Wind.I want to correct what i said,I mean I think it would be Ok for children around my sons's age 7 almost eight 6 might be Ok.I would not show it to really young children.
#44 of 56 Old 03-14-2006, 08:16 PM

I must say that I tend to like the gentle anime movies...
Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro.
I would like to see The Cat Returns. Wonder if i could get it for free somewhere. LOL.
I also want Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa and I'll want Miyazaki's new one.

I have Spirited Away but I don't really like it.
I've seen other anime movies but I don't get into violence, etc.
#45 of 56 Old 03-14-2006, 09:53 PM

I just watched the new release of My Neighbor Totoro. I am NOT happy. The voices changed. The words changed...and some of the animation has even changed! In my opinion, it has not changed for the better. I can't stand the new voices! And they changed the way they pronounce Satsuki. They say it like "Satski".
My ds was sooo confused. He had the original version memorized so this totally messed him up.
I wish I could get the older version on dvd. sigh.
#46 of 56 Old 03-15-2006, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizc
I just watched the new release of My Neighbor Totoro. I am NOT happy. The voices changed. The words changed...and some of the animation has even changed! In my opinion, it has not changed for the better. I can't stand the new voices! And they changed the way they pronounce Satsuki. They say it like "Satski".
My ds was sooo confused. He had the original version memorized so this totally messed him up.
I'm sorry you don't like it. I haven't seen it yet, but I thought the Fox version was very poorly done, and I didn't like the Pan and Scan. I'm excited that the new release is out.

I know a girl named Satsuke. Her mother pronounces it the way you describe, almost completely skipping the u.
#47 of 56 Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 AM

Hmm, what is the Fox version? I don't think the one i have on vhs is the Fox version. I can't even find the one that I have on vhs...It has somehow disappeared. boohoo.
#48 of 56 Old 03-15-2006, 05:28 PM

Hubby and I watch Full Metal Alchemist together every Sunday night. (We DVR the new episodes)

I love anime!

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.
#49 of 56 Old 03-15-2006, 10:46 PM

Ah, we just watched Howl's Moving Castle and once again I'm in love! Miyazaki is just so amazing.

And as to violence...my 4yo can take all of it, she finds some of it disturbing, but no more so than the fact that our country is involved in an unjust war w/ the first note of every news cast "X people died in Iraq today..." :

She calls the Miyazaki films "the little girl movies" because young females play such important roles in all of them...and we've got almost all now, just need my neighbor totoro (thanks for the tip about the new version, we'll tread lightly before purchasing!) and a couple others I can't remember.

Oh, and my sister borrowed Nausicaa to show her high school students one testing day, and they requested castle in the sky next! So it's fun to share them around as well!

But I definitely recommend Howl's moving castle...has a lot about war, a ridiculous unnecessary war that the politico decides to stop at the drop of a hat at the end "guess we can end the war now." That's another thing I really enjoy about Miyazaki's films, is even though they demonstrate violence it's never gratuitous but instead part of important questioning of humanity.
#50 of 56 Old 03-17-2006, 05:46 PM

Like just about everyone else here, we love the Miyazaki films. My standard line is, "No Disney here; we're a Miyazaki household."

For those of you who liked Cowboy Bebop, I strongly recommend Samurai Champloo. It's done by the same people, and again, the animation, storylines, and characterization are all wonderful. It's got more of a hip-hop feel than a jazz feel; I think they're still showing it on Adult Swim, but it's also out on DVD.

One series that doesn't get nearly enough attention is The Twelve Kingdoms (Juuni Kokki.) They never finished the series - something happened health-wise with someone involved in production - but it's still an utterly incredible series. It's fantasy, and the whole time I was watching it, I was thinking, "This is what Inuyasha should have been like." Best character development I've ever seen in an anime. I can't recommend it strongly enough. It's on DVD; I don't think it's been aired on television here in the US.

Haibane Renmei is another great one, and we liked Noir, too (that one was pretty violent, though.) I got my husband stuck on Naruto fansubs; it's a guilty pleasure for me, but the characters are a lot of fun. I hear a lot of good things about Bleach, but I haven't had a chance to download it just yet.
#51 of 56 Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM

Anyone have a copy of THE CAT RETURNS that they'd like to pass on to me?
I just saw WHISPER OF THE HEART. Although it's a cute story, I get aggrevated with Disney for the way they change the words. I can't stand how in this movie, the word 'stupid' gets used an awful lot.

Having said that, I do want THE CAT RETURNS so I can have a nice collection for ds. (and me. LOL)
#52 of 56 Old 04-16-2006, 02:59 PM

Another family of anime fans here.

Some favorites: Cowboy Beebop, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, Witch Hunter Robin, Trigun, Fullmetal Alchemist, Serial Experiment Lain, Slayers, vampire Princess Miyu, Evangelion, Escaflowne, Hellsing. Wolf's Rain, Inu-Yasha, FLCL, Lupin the Third, Detective Conan/ Case Closed, The Big O, DH just finished R.O.D the T.V. ( sort of related to Read or Die), We're currently netflix-ing Samauri Champloo ( which is interesting but different) Dh suggested Record of Lodoss War but I just MST3k-d through each viewing.

As for movies some of our top pics are: Spirited Away, Akira, Ghost In Shell, Kiki's Delivery Service, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Metropolis, etc.

We're " subtitle snobs" here, just can't stand the dubbing.

Myr: wife to John 8/98 and mommy to Willow 06/03, Rowan 04/07 and Linden 02/10
#53 of 56 Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizc
I hated it too. The voices are Dakota Fanning and her little sister Elle.

I found the older version on eBay, look for one with this cover.
#54 of 56 Old 04-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffernutter
I hated it too. The voices are Dakota Fanning and her little sister Elle.
I did finally watch it....I'm wondering what people have against these two little girls? I thought they did a good job, especially the little one, and it was nice that they were sisters because they interacted well together.

I liked the new version, with a couple of exceptions. I didn't like "gremlins" for the soot sprites. I did like how more of the bath scene ended up making the cut. Plus, some things seemed to make more sense to me regarding characters motivations. Next time I watch it I'll go for the subtitles, but dd doesn't read that fast yet.
#55 of 56 Old 04-18-2006, 12:43 PM

Our copy has that cover but it's dubbed in English. ???

Can someone answer my question about Sailor Moon? What is this like? Is it highly sexual?
#56 of 56 Old 04-18-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hera
I did finally watch it....I'm wondering what people have against these two little girls? I thought they did a good job, especially the little one, and it was nice that they were sisters because they interacted well together.

I liked the new version, with a couple of exceptions. I didn't like "gremlins" for the soot sprites. I did like how more of the bath scene ended up making the cut. Plus, some things seemed to make more sense to me regarding characters motivations. Next time I watch it I'll go for the subtitles, but dd doesn't read that fast yet.
They are cute and very talented, but they're everywhere. Well, Dakota is at least. I'm a little Dakota-d out. kwim? I get the feeling they're grooming Elle to take Dakota's place when she gets too old to do the cutsie stuff.

Plus, I just really don't like change. I like the other version because that's the one I saw first, and that's the one that got me hooked on Miyazaki. kwim? I also hated how they changed certain words, I didn't really see the point. Especially calling Nanny "Granny".

KaraBoo, are you looking for it in Japanese? The new version has an option to watch it in Japanese. You can find the original Japanese version on eBay too, but you have to be careful. A lot (maybe all?) of them are bootlegged. Unless you don't care about that sort of thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page