Forum Jump: 

#271 of 278 Old 10-21-2008, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
What fun, this thread is back!

Explain, please. Are there two different endings to that movie??
Yes, in the U.K version it ends very simply and is more in line with the book. Basically Lizzie and Darcy gaining permission from her Father for the marriage... quite a touching scene. I caught the U.S version on YouTube and I hated it. The scene of them sitting in Darcy's garden talking about what he should call her. I really didn't like it and didn't think that it fitted well with the rest of the film.

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 278 Old 10-21-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post
To answer my own question, I think we actually discussed this here once, but I'd forgotten. The very ending that this thread title refers to (Mrs. Darcy... Mrs. Darcy...) was added on.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle590309.ece

The British version of the film instead concludes with Elizabeth’s father (Donald Sutherland) giving his consent when Mr Darcy asks for his daughter’s hand in marriage. “And if any young men come for Mary or Kitty, send them in, for I am quite at my leisure,” he declares, in the film’s final line. American audiences, however, are treated to a lingering shot of Elizabeth and Mr Darcy kissing under moonlight, on a terrace. Mr Darcy asks his new wife how he should address her. Should he, he inquires, call her Mrs Darcy? She replies that he should only call her that if he is absolutely in love with her.

“Mrs Darcy . . . Mrs Darcy,” he repeats as the credits roll.
Oops I didn't realise that you had done this post when I responded to your question
#273 of 278 Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All this thread's Jane Eyre talk has inspired me to watch the movie on Netflix. I loved it!
Off to Emma on Netflix now....
#274 of 278 Old 11-03-2008, 12:41 AM

squee! the thread and i are both back!

reread 'emma' recently; other than that, it's been awhile. any new books?
#275 of 278 Old 11-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Interesting that I should stumble on this thread... DD was concieved on the night I saw the Kiera Knightley P&P at the movie theatre 2 years ago...

What did you all think of the new Austen adaptations on PBS this past spring? My favorite was Sense and Sensibility, although I also really enjoyed finally seeing Northanger Abbey made into a movie.
#276 of 278 Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I knew nothing about Northanger Abbey and really enjoyed it. Spookiness, mystery, romance!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#277 of 278 Old 11-04-2008, 12:00 AM

I love the Northanger Abbey film! I finally read the book (before I saw the film), and I decided it's one of my favorite Austins!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

#278 of 278 Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
um, taking a step back just a moment to observe-

we sound a wee bit obsessed!
Not obsessed, enthusiastic!

While there are parts of the new P&P I enjoy, the A&E Colin Firth is my favorite hands down.

As for sequels, I love fan fiction. You don't have to pay for it and some of it is really good. Check out The Meryton Assembly and Hyacinth Gardens. They're some of my favorite places for Austen fic. Jack is an awesome author that posts his fic in both places. He currently has a Western re-imagining of P&P going that I'm enjoying.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page