"Mrs.Darcy...Mrs.Darcy...Mrs.Darcy..." - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, after reading this thread, I MADE my husband go and rent it for me and I watched it while dd was napping yesterday.

**swoon** What a movie! I have seen the A&E version and I love it, I really do. However, for a regular length movie, wow!!! They did a beautiful job and I can't get MM as Mr. Darcy out of my head. He's gorgeous and I love his portrayal of Darcy......very real, very conflicted and you can see what is going on right from the start. KK is not my fav actress, but I didn't feel she really detracted from the movie. So glad I rented it!!!
#62 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiamama
So, after reading this thread, I MADE my husband go and rent it for me and I watched it while dd was napping yesterday.

**swoon** What a movie! I have seen the A&E version and I love it, I really do. However, for a regular length movie, wow!!! They did a beautiful job and I can't get MM as Mr. Darcy out of my head. He's gorgeous and I love his portrayal of Darcy......very real, very conflicted and you can see what is going on right from the start. KK is not my fav actress, but I didn't feel she really detracted from the movie. So glad I rented it!!!
YAY!! Glad you liked it!! I'm glad everyone is at least trying it out..It s different but SO very good!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#63 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 PM

I remember reading the comments on this site - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3797535.stm - when the movie was first announced. It's interesting to read them again with the movie's success as a backdrop.
#64 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Great link, Dragonfly. I clicked around and found that Mr. Darcy is the top fictional character that women would like to date -- the only thing is, I don't consider him to be a fictional character!
#65 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM

I completely agree.

I was just thinking of another bit in the movie - one of those little moments that really made it incredible. Remember, early on, when Darcy helps Elizabeth into the carriage and then the camera cuts to a close-up of his hand as he clenching and unclenching it? There's so much intensity in that moment. It's a simple and perfect expression of how deeply he's affected by her.

I really have to watch it again.
#66 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 05:49 PM

nice darcy wallpaper at www.pemberley.com.
#67 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 06:06 PM

Does anyone know if there is a Director's Cut slated to come out?
#68 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 06:11 PM

Darcy fictional???? Says who??? really what an absurd idea!
#69 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 08:58 PM

so what is the consensus on the 'sequels'? i've read 'bar sinister' & . the combo of my imagination, her writing, & colin firth's portrayal...

uh, harry? our fanfic is better (and PUBLISHED , miss austen's estate having less legal muscle than ms rowling's. )

ps 'darcy and elizabeth' came out this month but my library hasn't gotten it yet. anybody?
#70 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 09:22 PM

WHA?!?!?!? Sequels?!?!?!?! I need titles and authors please!!!!!

Another plug for the new movie..Judi Dench *IS* Lady Catherine!! Scary and totally formidable!! Her speech about how if she had ever learned to play piano she would have been a great proficient was great!! She delivered everything so well!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#71 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
Can you help me find the wallpaper? Can't find it on the site for some reason! Thanks!

#72 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
Oh my goodness! A new obsession. What is this "Making of PP?" I love pemberly.com.
#73 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz
As a rule I don't read sequels written by someone other than the original author but this particular sequel (Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll) caught my eye at an airport bookstore. It's pretty racy compared to what Austen would have written but I don't mind for it allows me to keep up my fantasies of Mr. Darcy.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#74 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 09:45 PM

http://www.pemberley.com/bin/photos.cgi

under 'wallpaper'.

note 'the bar sinister' is the former title of 'mr darcy takes a wife'. 'darcy & elizabeth' is the sequel to that. racy? mmmm. it's as hot as could be without lapsing into vulgarity.

i may have to see the other just for ms dench.

edit: here, try this: http://www.pemberley.com/photos/firt...ywallpaper.jpg
#75 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz

Another plug for the new movie..Judi Dench *IS* Lady Catherine!! Scary and totally formidable!! Her speech about how if she had ever learned to play piano she would have been a great proficient was great!! She delivered everything so well!!!
Even I will admit that Judi Dench is Lady Catherine. She was made for that role. But, on the other hand, the actress in the AE version made Lady C look very foolish, which I think was Austen's idea.

But I still say that Firth IS Darcy. Everyone knows it.
#76 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 10:10 PM

I don't know. I looked at the Firth pictures on the site TigerTail linked and he's just looking sort of.... dry... relative to the new Mr. Darcy. :
#77 of 278 Old 05-05-2006, 11:58 PM

Firth's Darcy is less angsty than the new Darcy but he seems more....hhmmm....he gets this cute earnest look on his face (BWHA! I punned! He was in the Importance of Being Earnest )

He seems less tortured...so ya..I can see him being seen as dry..but he does act more Darcy-esque-stuck-up...

He pulls off the "Darcy acts like an ass" part of the book better anyways...

What did they do to Mary? Did anyone else find this Mary to be rather cute and much less ??

The movie was *really* short, several characters were left out but I did enjoy the chemistry between Knightly and new Darcy (I don't know his name) in "ungentlemenly like manner" part I really thoguht they were going to start just slapping each other.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#78 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
He pulls off the "Darcy acts like an ass" part of the book better anyways...

What did they do to Mary? Did anyone else find this Mary to be rather cute and much less ??

The movie was *really* short, several characters were left out but I did enjoy the chemistry between Knightly and new Darcy (I don't know his name) in "ungentlemenly like manner" part I really thoguht they were going to start just slapping each other.
I kinda thought Colin First did a better job of acting like a jerk too..Like totally assuming Elizabeth would go for him because he was rich..But MM was so angsty...You could just FEEL that emotion right under the surface, you know?

I thought Mary was much luss freaky than the A&E version...The older version showed her stuck-up I'm better than you attitude a little more..

Honestly though what turns me off in the A&E version is Jane..That girl is just NOT Jane Rosamunde Peak in the new one *IS* Jane..

I watched about 1/2 of it today..I'll finish the other half tomorrow..It's so good!!

#79 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 05:08 AM

Colin Firth IS Mr. Darcy.

I think MM is attractive. I liked the scene where he was walking in a field early morning, his coat flapping in the wind. You know his thoughts were on Elizabeth. But it still can't compare to Colin's dive into the pool at Pemberly. Wet shirt clinging to his body. Excuse me..I need a moment to myself to remember that moment again.

Mr. Collins in the A&E version was better, IMO. He seemed much more the buffoon he was meant to me.

Has anyone seen the film Bride & Prejudice? It's a modern Indian take on PP. I've seen it. It's quite entertaining.

#80 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 12:43 PM

I too like the new version, as a beautiful film on its own merits.But I do like to compare and measure them up to the original, the book. It’s an obsession.

Mary in P&P3 seemed more naive and sweet, in P&P2.. She took herself more seriously and was the prudish Mary of Austen.

Dame Judy is AWESOME. I could watch her grow potatoes and be enthralled.

The "new" Lydia and Kitty really drove me nuts.... What was up with the Breathy Lydia... yuck!
MM is a hottie and he did a great job.... that said. Colin=Darcy! Always will be, even with the liberties that were taken with P&P2 (pond dive, wet shirt).

I think that the director of the new version was trepid in portraying Darcy-ness in this film. Mr. Darcy was a real jerk, in the novel his "tolerable" speech was said whilst knowing that Lizzy was close enough to hear. He did not care if she heard, his "superiority" was supposed to be known by everyone. His behavior was accordingly to the high opinion he had of himself, with regard to the feelings of others.
#81 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
A bunch of Blue Stockings. I suppose that makes me one, too!

Quote:
Firth's Darcy is less angsty than the new Darcy but he seems more....hhmmm....he gets this cute earnest look on his face
Bwahahaha! I just saw that for the first time day before yesterday! His duet with Rupert Everett was to die for. Completely out of place for that movie and funny. Colin Firth has a wonderful comedic timing and he's so sweetly bumbling and humble. He even manages to mix a pinch of humility into his prideful Mr Darcy.

There are P&P spinoffs??? I must investigate.

ETA:

bluestockings

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#82 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 01:30 PM

Earnest Earnest Earnest...

There are A LOT of sequels.. Sequels with Reviews
#83 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the link to all the P&P sequels. So far I've done a search on Amazon but it doesn't pull up all the sequels.

#84 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom
Bwahahaha! I just saw that for the first time day before yesterday! His duet with Rupert Everett was to die for.
That song had me dying.

I get it stuck in my head occasionally and it gives me the giggles.
#85 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly
I don't know. I looked at the Firth pictures on the site TigerTail linked and he's just looking sort of.... dry... relative to the new Mr. Darcy. :

I beg to differ. You must not have ever seen the AE version! There is no other possible explanation for your opinion.
#86 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv

I beg to differ. You must not have ever seen the AE version! There is no other possible explanation for your opinion.
I swear I did. And I really enjoyed it. And I even have it on my Netflix queue so I can watch it again.
#87 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 08:45 PM

Ok, I have to post here, if only to chime in as another person obsessed with Mr. Darcy It got to the point where my 3 year old would announce "That's Mr. Darcy" whenever Colin Firth came on the screen :

I haven't seen the new movie yet. I don't have problems with movies that take liberties with books as long as they are obviously doing a "based on" thing. It sort of bugs me that this seems to be presented as the book, but just from the preview I saw it was off. But yeah, maybe I'm just nit picking because I saw the preview after watching the A&E version a few times and reading the book all in a very short period of time. You're right, there's no way they could fully do the book in a regular length movie.

Having said all that, anyone seen this Pride and Prejudice movie? Loved it It didn't bug me because it's obviously not trying to be an exact version of "the book", but is very strongly based on it (just set in a Mormon college )

On the new Darcy though . . . uh . . . I hope I don't get any tomatoes sent my way but I've only been able to find one picture of him as Darcy and he is no where near as hot as Colin. Maybe it's a bad shot? Does anyone have any other links? Or maybe I should just rent the movie and see.

Anyway, here's a favorite Colin shot from me Go to this page and scroll halfway down. http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/C...ide_firth.html (the one that says Meryton Assembly Rooms).
#88 of 278 Old 05-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Pictures of Matthew MacFadyen as Darcy:

http://www.allmegastar.com/photo/200...udice_025.html

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2...udice_006.html

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2...udice_027.html

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/04143...th_key=0414387

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.ya...knightley7.jpg

And here is MM's website for anyone who wants it.

http://www.matthew-macfadyen.co.uk/

I just watched it again while I was ironing..I do love MM as Darcy..Gotta say it!!

I know a lot of what I love about the new one if the beauty of it..It's more picturesque..And the drama..

#89 of 278 Old 05-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the pic links I guess he's just not my type. I might give the movie a try if only to at least know what everyone loves and/or hates
#90 of 278 Old 05-07-2006, 12:26 PM

DO NOT judge him until you have seen him in action!!!!!

Okay, I've seen the A&E version, and I can understand why the JA purists like it; but I like the new one better.

Dame Dench IS Lady De Bourgh; the one in the A&E is weak and sniveling compared to Judy. While I think I *like* Lydia and Kitty in the A&Eversion better, I also think that perhaps they shouldn't be so likable--they, especially Lydia, have no regard for their family, are sure the world revolves around them; and I think the new version shows that a bit better. They are just whiney, egocentric little jerks in the new one; and so they are.

I thnk KK plays Lizzy wonderfully, especially after seeing the A&E version. While I think JE also plays her well, I don't see where her performance is any better than KKs.

I like the new Mr. Darcy better than CF's Mr Darcy. M will always be the perfect Mr. Darcy for me.

I like the Bennets better in this one, and I like their home, too. A little more modest, more "lived in", still obviously an estate; just a smaller one.

I really like the new Mr. Bingly; but I also like the A&E one; same goes for Jane, and Miss Bingly.

There you have it. I still favor the new P&P, even after seeing the A&E version.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page