"Mrs.Darcy...Mrs.Darcy...Mrs.Darcy..." - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2006, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Dd and I saw the new Pride and Prejudice today. I wasn't impressed when I saw the trailer. I'm not a huge fan of Kiera Knightly. But this was a very satisfying, romantic movie. I definitly got into Matthew MadFayden as Mr. Darcy. And Donald Sutherland was touching as her father.

It was far from perfect. The sub plot regarding the cad Mr. Wickham was not fleshed out well enough. I had to explain why/how Mr. Wickham had run away with Lydia and why this was bad and how Mr. Darcy forced him to marry Lydia.

Of course, we'd just watched Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility, a superior movie. But this was good and we'll get the dvd.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2006, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books. I have not seen the movie and probably won't. It's the whole Keira Knightly thing; to me she is not Elizabeth Bennett.
Have you ever seen the A&E version with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? I would be Mrs. Darcy in a heartbeat to his Mr. Darcy. The A&E version is the best in my opinion and I think I am spoiled, I don't want to see anyone else but Colin Firth as Darcy and Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennett. They are who I picture when I read the book now. And being that it is a 6 hour miniseries, they do go into the whole Wickham-Lydia thing. If you want a good version of this wonderful book, I'd suggest looking into the A&E version. If, however, you've seen it and don't like it, I apologize for trying to force my likes onto you.
It's just that I am such a huge fan, it's hard for me to hold in my enthusiasm.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:09 PM

I agree the movie wasn't the greatest. I don't agree with some of the director's interpretations. I do think that was an amazing Mr. Darcy. That actor really nailed it. I dare say he was better than Colin Firth. Plus he was incredibly handsome. I love the ending scene too.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMamma
I dare say he was better than Colin Firth.
Better than Colin Firth!? Blasphemy!!! I am extremely prejudiced, though. He is my dream man, as Mr Darcy.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I dare say he was better than Colin Firth.
Oh my! Colin Firth is one of my all time favorite hunks. But Matthew MacFayden's scene with Lizzie at the pavilion in the pouring rain (where they have it out) was excellent.

And I'm pretty sure this wasn't in the book. But I liked how Lizzie notices Mr. Darcy physically. First there's the contrast between shorty Mr. Collins and tall, hunky Mr. Darcy. Then there's the scene where she wanders through the hall of statues at the Darcy home. The human forms get steadily more evocative, until she comes across the bust of Mr. Darcy and decides he is handsome. Plus the scene where he strides across the field with his shirt untucked and unbuttoned.

Not accurate, but a fine addition, nonetheless...

I saw the A&E miniseries first and loved it.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 AM

I think I was crying for the last half hour of that film.

Kiera K wasn't particularly impressive in Pirates, but I LOVED her in P&P. Her facial expressions are so perfect. She doesn't always look pretty, and I like that. Mr. Darcy makes me want to swoon; oh my lord, when he was trying to say he loved her, my stomach had butterflies, just the way he said it.

Donald Sutherland was perfect as Mr. Bennet, exactly how I imagined him to behave.

I haven't seen the BBC version, I've read the book 3-4 times, so I'm not the fanatic that some are; but i know that my dh, myself, and my 10 year old daughter were all teary by the end, and even my 7 year old was intrigued enough to pay attention throughout the entire movie.

I do agree that it went a bit fast, and it seemed to me to be similar in that quality to the lord of the rings, or the harry potter books--if you hadn't read them, they didn't make as much sense. It seemed to be made for fans of Jane Austen, not necessarily newcomers.

Oh my, Mr. Darcy walking across the mist covered field was truly a sight to behold. O dear.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:27 AM

Loved the book. Thought the movie was beautiful, but a different beast altogether.

mv
Old 04-25-2006, 05:53 AM

My name is Darcy
Old 04-25-2006, 10:12 AM

I liked the new P&P film, but I LOVE the A&E version. No one tops Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. I just recently read the book and I can't believe I waited so long to do so! I fell in love with it and was sad when I was finished reading it. I wanted it to keep going on forever. (I love it when I come across books like that, and it isn't very often!)
Old 04-25-2006, 11:28 AM

thanks-that's good to know. I have it here waiting to be watched-but I've been reluctant because Colin just can't be topped.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:42 PM

I haven't seen Colin's Mr. Darcy; but this Mr. Darcy is dark, stern, and obviously socially uncomfortable and awkward; when he does profess his love, it is endearingly difficult for him; he almost just breathes the words out, he says it so quickly, as if they come tumbling out on their own, disregarding anything his brain might actually be wanting him to say.

I don't know, I've never seen this actor before, but I have watched the movie FOUR TIMES in the last two and a half days.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:21 PM

lori, you need to rent colin's mr darcy asap.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 PM

One fantasy Mr. Darcy at a time, please!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTail
lori, you need to rent colin's mr darcy asap.
:

I haven't seen the latest P&P, I've just taken my sister's and aunt's word that it was good, but not as good as our favorite version, with Colin Firth. With Colin as Darcy, you can see the pride (or is he prejudice? ) and his distress/discomfort at falling for Elizabeth. Oh my, all this Darcy talk, I think I'll have to put my DVD in tonight!
Old 04-25-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijds
I don't know, I've never seen this actor before, but I have watched the movie FOUR TIMES in the last two and a half days.
FIVE.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:42 PM

Although it is entertaining in its own sense, IMHO it does not do justice to the novel, it leaves out so much. Wickham's true character is barely touch on, he is such a catalyst to the Lizzie/Darcy scenario. It seemed to me that there was attraction between them from the beginning, which cheats the viewer out of the Pride/Prejudice discovery and transformation. Mr Bennet is nothing like the Austen character. The Jane/ Lizzie relationship was weak. I see that I am rambling... P&P2 with Ehle and Firth is superior IMNSHO..
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 PM

ok-I watched, and didn't care for Kiera's performance (I think Jennifer Ehle was exquisite-she embodied Elizabeth's wit and intelligence so perfectly.) The actress who played Elizabeth's mother in the A&E version was far better, as were the sisters, I think. Now, the new Mr. Darcy however-he was tres hot!!!! And I could almost validate the statement that he did a better job than Colin. Smoldering....tortured...- just the way I like them! He reminded me of Clive Owen with a longer forehead. Clive Owen as Mr. Darcy-now, that would be great casting-I don't think I could handle it though.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Oh my, Mr. Darcy walking across the mist covered field was truly a sight to behold. O dear.
Yes, Mama was very happy to have TIVO and got a little moist....
Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 AM

I was surprised at how much I liked this version! I put off watching it for days until dh insisted (how lucky am I to get a guy who actually likes to watch Austen-esque period pieces?)
Enjoyed the A&E with Colin - how could you not enjoy Colin?:
Beautiful music and scenery as well. Might check out the soundtrack . .
Old 05-02-2006, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred
Better than Colin Firth!? Blasphemy!!! I am extremely prejudiced, though. He is my dream man, as Mr Darcy.
I totally agree.

I felt that the new Pride and Prejudice was an insult to Colin Firth. I was really outraged by it, but of course, I have seen it three times, just to make sure. There were things I liked about the new movie better.

BUT ... Colin Firth was absolutely brilliant as Mr. Darcy. Breathtaking, really, he just channeled that character.

Trust Rubyred and me on this -- go rent the AE version and you will love it.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I agree the movie wasn't the greatest. I don't agree with some of the director's interpretations. I do think that was an amazing Mr. Darcy. That actor really nailed it. I dare say he was better than Colin Firth. Plus he was incredibly handsome. I love the ending scene too.
Ok, I just have to totally disagree here. He was not better than Colin Firth. :

Colin Firth is Mr. Darcy, he just is. I have read the book at least fifty times... oh heck, probably several hundred times if you count just jumping around to the juicy parts.

And that ending scene embarrassed me, though the scenery was gorgeous. OK, I admit, the scenery was gorgeous.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata
Clive Owen as Mr. Darcy-now, that would be great casting-I don't think I could handle it though.
Now thats an idea I could get behind.... mmmmm Love me some Clive.

I have heard several people say that Colin is too starchy and one even said that he creeped her out. Of course P&P3 was their first exposure to the story. MM played Dracy as shy and at times socially uncertain, shyness is not a moral and substential weakness in the sense pride and prejudice are, and I think that the point of the book is that he is supposed to undergo a material improvement, to become more humble and tolerant to others, otherwise neither the title nor Elizabeth's attitude make much sense.

Mata, I agree with your KK assessment. Sure she is cute, but she lacks Lizzy-ness. Its another thing that annoys me about this version. It turns the Bennents into for all practical purposes paupers, they were not as affluent as the Darcy/DeBourgs but they appeared practically crude.

Call me a purist but I felt the film lacked historical accuracy and was not a true rendition of the novel.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Mata, I agree with your KK assessment. Sure she is cute, but she lacks Lizzy-ness. Its another thing that annoys me about this version. It turns the Bennents into for all practical purposes paupers, they were not as affluent as the Darcy/DeBourgs but they appeared practically crude.
I totally agree with this (although I truly enjoyed Donald Sutherland's portrayal and I thought Jena Malone was nothing to sneeze at). In fact, my mom said something about them being poor and I got snippy with her, pointing out that they were, in fact, fairly affluent, just not of the McBank Account size the Darcys and Bingleys were.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:53 AM

I have to say the BBC version will never be outdone

I saw th enew movie, twice. Wasn't too impressed. I mean, it was beautiful I'll give it that. But I love it how the BBC movies delve into the characters. i love sense and sensibility too.

I could not watch this new movie over and over. Besides that, I miss the old characters and I can't stand Keirra Knightly. It's something about her face. I don't know. She is pretty, but I don't know.............I have to be able to relate to elizabeth bennet. I just couldn't in the new movie.

That last scene was nauseating, even for a romantic.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:06 AM

I enjoyed the portrayal of the marriage of the Bennetts better in the film version. In the BBC version, the husband was almost openly contemptuous of his wife. But in the film, it was a bit kinder and gentler.

I don't understand how anyone could consider Colin Firth to be creepy in this film. WTF? Yes, CF has had several creepy roles in other pix, like Valmont, just to name one.

Did anyone see the Brigette Jones Diary DVD that had Brigette Jones interviewing Colin Firth about Pride and Prejudice?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:51 AM

Am I the only one who has seen the old b&w Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson version, but not the A&E or BBC versions?

I actually love the Laurence Olivier version as a movie in its own right, even though it's just a silly/cleaned-up/funny version as opposed to an accurate version.

I thought they did a really good job with this new version. I was surprised how much I liked it. I was actually afraid that I wouldn't like this version because I would be comparing it to the Olivier version! They are so completely different from each other though. The new one is so much more true-to-life. When I think about the old one now, it's actually a little embarassing! Because it's so less true to life and less true to the book than the new one.

I didn't even mind Keira Knightly. (Although there IS something about her face, isn't there? An over bite or an under bite or something). But I actually thought she did a good job with the role. I was really afraid I wouldn't like Mr. Darcy, but I thought he did a good job too! The only ones I was disappointed with were the Bingleys, who luckily aren't terribly important characters to me. Miss Bingley always seemed to be reciting her lines. And I thought they overdid it a little with how nonintellectual Mr. Bingley is.

ETA: I love the scene when they're all lying around in a messy room, and Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley come to the door, and they run around cleaning up the room, and Darcy and Bingley walk in and they're all sitting there perfectly!

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:57 AM

Oh, man that last scene in the new version was one of the MOST romantic scenes I have EVER seen in a movie!! I know it wasn't in the book, but still..Sigh..It was awesome..

I saw the new one first then I rented the A&E version a couple of weeks ago when I was recovering from oral sugery..I like both versions..I like the a&e version b/c it was more true to the book..But it felt forced at times and I'm sorry but that Jane just was NOT the beauty she was supposed to be in the book..

I loved the new version as well..It was very beautifully set and I thought Kiera Knightly did a great job..There was a tomboyishness and silliness about her that suited Elizabeth well!

And I loooooved Matthew McFadyen! Sigh..He is beautiful!!! That last scene..Be still me heart..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
Did anyone see the Brigette Jones Diary DVD that had Brigette Jones interviewing Colin Firth about Pride and Prejudice?
If I remember correctly, in the Bridget Jones Diary book (the second one), she is obsessed with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. I don't know how they represented this in the movie, if they even did because I haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
In the BBC version, the husband was almost openly contemptuous of his wife. But in the film, it was a bit kinder and gentler.
In the book, Mr. Bennett is openly contemptuous of his wife. The BBC/A&E versions are true to the book.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Oh, Rubyred, you might enjoy the BJ Diary DVDs. The interview was very hot and was in the "bonus material."
Old 05-03-2006, 11:03 AM

I saw the 1st one, and I love it. Hey, it has Colin Firth in it! Haven't gotten around to the 2nd one yet. I tried to read the book, but couldn't get all the way through. I should look into renting it. That's one movie I had forgotten about. You know, it came out and I didn't make it to the theater, then it came out for rental, I rented it, but never get to watch it for some reason or another. But my spring class just ended, so I have the summer free. Thanks!

User Tag List