Downloading Music Questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-17-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am brand new to downloading music. What are your favorite sites for doing this?

I can already burn CDs with my computer - I make a new class CD for my dance classes about every month. But that's copying from CDs I already own. I've never downloaded a song.

But I need to now for a performance piece for one of my classes (for the June recital).

So what are your favorite sites, got any tips, will I need to disable Norton Anti-virus in order to install the software needed to download music? Anything you can tell me will be apprecitated.

Thanks!

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#2 of 3 Old 01-18-2006, 07:09 AM

I use Soulseek. It's really pretty basic. Type in what you're looking for, and a bunch of users with that song should pop up. If it's gray (I'm assuming that it's in gray for all computers) that means that you'll have to wait in a queue before it will download. If it's ... uhh, blue, I think (or NOT gray...) then you should be able to immediately download it. There is also a "D/L speed" number for every user that you'll want to look out for. The higher number, the faster it will download. Make sure to give it a minute or two to search, because not everything comes up at once.

If this doesn't make too much sense, just play around with it for awhile & read Soulseek's "Support" area and it will start to make sense!

You can also use Bittorrent , though I've never used that to download songs (I think it's supposed to be better for movies & programmes, but I'm not too sure). They have info on that site, so you can just read up on that there if you'd like, as I'm not as familiar with it.

I'm not sure about your anti-virus question. i've never had to disable anything though, and I'm not too sure why you would need to.

Good luck & have fun!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#3 of 3 Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 AM

I use Limewire. Don't know exactly how to download it but it's a good thing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page