People's History of the United States - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-16-2002, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By Howard Zinn.
Splendid, informative and certainly not the stuff they teach at schools, though should be required reading for everyone!

Quote from the page 20" Children of the Iroqous society, while taught the cultural heritage of their people and solidarity with the tribe, were also taught to be independent, not to submit to overbearing authority. They were taught equality with status and sharing posessions. The Iroquois did not use harsh punishment on children; they did not insist on early weaning or early toilet training, but gradually allowed the child to learn selfcare." Well, the first colonists brought over a different set of values, for example.. Quote from p.21The pastor of the Pilgrim colony, John Robinson, thus adviced his parishioners how to deal with their children: "And surely there is in all children... a stubborness, and stoutness of mind arising from natural pride, which must in the first place to be broken and beaten down, that so the foundation of their education being laid in humility and tractebleness, other virtues may, in their time, be built thereon."

:

And that was just the beginning..
#2 of 4 Old 01-17-2002, 01:42 PM

In my junior year of high school my history teacher used this books the basis for all our lessons.

Thanks you Mr. Watkins.
#3 of 4 Old 01-18-2002, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

So some enlightened teachers do use it! That's great to hear.
History has never been a favourite subject of mine, but this book truly opens my eyes into the current situation of the country, history repeating itself..
#4 of 4 Old 01-18-2002, 06:18 PM

My son is in his senoir year of college political/communications major and asked for this book for Christmas. He tells me I must read it when he's done. High praise coming from him!

peggy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page