Slow Food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-16-2002, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read a few posts a while back about a book called Fast Food or something about fast food anyway, and was wondering if anyone has any more info about a movement called Slow Food. I was just reading the latest issue of National Geographic (terrific article on dogs) and in the article on the new Euro currency they mentioned Slow Food, and how it's really working in Europe. I was wondering if it has ever been tried in the U.S.--under the same name, the same thing, as I am aware that there are plenty of other farm cooperatives here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2002, 04:11 PM

I've heard of the slow food movement. They are trying to protect food diversity- so they encourage small farmers and organic farmers and cheese makers, etc. They fear tasty foods with rich histories will be wiped out by factory farming- and it is scary to think about how close we are coming to that. The book Fast Food Nation talks about how 95% of the potatoes grown in the states are one kind- which puts us at risk for a famine like the Irish one- all to feed our french fry habit.

It was started by an Italian chef, I think. Here is there url so you can find out more: www.slow-food.com.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:53 PM

I read a story about it on Utne Reader, what a wonderful concept! After that, we began having "slow dinners" with our neighbours - doing some reading to eachother and cooking together.. especially going for local, organic produce. A great way to bring together friends, neighbours; the community!
Old 01-18-2002, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Elismama, for the link and wow, mamarain, that sounds like something I'd love.

User Tag List