Better Homes and Gardens Baby Book (c) 1969 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 11-26-2006, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me tell you.

My dh was born in '69. That all sounds pretty exact.

Here's the saddest thing about it all...

My mil had her first baby in 65 or so....and she went in with broken water, was "prepped" , laid in a bed, and then given 2 pills and a shot . No one talked to her or anything. She woke up and remembers asking for water...She hears her mom's voice saying" I dont think they'll let her have water after a section, will they?"

she remembers reaching down to her belly in horror, and her belly is covered in bandages. No one asked her if she wanted a section. No danger for either mom or baby....just did it.

Then, the next day, when she got to see her baby, they handed her the baby and an alcohol pad and said "here", and expected her to nurse her baby.

She had NO CLUE. She swabbed her nipples off with Alcohol, and tried to get the poor drugged baby to latch . Well, of course she couldnt, that alcohol tasted nasty, so she had to give her bottles, b/c of course they told her that her milk was no good.:

She was doomed to a lifetime of repeat csections and homeade formula feeding.

What a freaking nightmare.

I read that section of that book...It is horrific how they allowed the Dr's to do anything they wanted.

I always scream at familiy gatherings when people start yammering about the "Dr. said this, Dr. said do that"....I always yell" DOCTORS ARE NOT GOD!!!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING!!!"

Rant over.
#32 of 58 Old 11-28-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom View Post
I read that section of that book...It is horrific how they allowed the Dr's to do anything they wanted.

I always scream at familiy gatherings when people start yammering about the "Dr. said this, Dr. said do that"....I always yell" DOCTORS ARE NOT GOD!!!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING!!!"
bolding mine

This is my moto! I cannot stand how so many people assume that doctors are always right and everything they do is "for your own good".

I remember reading this thread back when it was started. It's really sad when I think of how my grandparents raised their kids. They thought they were doing everything right by following doctors orders and reading books like this (my grandma has the same book and several others like it).
#33 of 58 Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Unbelievable...

I know this is an old thread, but how about a

BUMP

BC I bet there are a lot of people that missed it the first time!!
#34 of 58 Old 05-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Wow. That would have been enough to scare me away from ever having children!
#35 of 58 Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Holy blankety blank!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#36 of 58 Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM

um, yeah. WOW!!!!!!!!

Makes you wonder what "we" are doing "wrong" now!
I found the remarks about doing exactly what the doctor says to be particularly disturbing. Now we can really see where that attitude comes from. Although it appears that we are going in the right direction. I do think those general ideas are still going strong. It's just more of an unwritten rule, and in the form of pressure directly from the docs.

Wow. I would kind of like a copy of that book, though.
I have one from the early 80's that I thought was bad enough!
EDIT: I grabbed it, and I was wrong. It's from 1971. I haven't spent much time looking at it, but it's probably not much better.

(oh wow, this is a really old thread, isn't it. hadn't noticed until just now...)

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#37 of 58 Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 PM

I looked it up on Amazon & they have it from several different years, all the way back to the '40's.

DH & I were thinking how crazy some of this advice is considering that it's not yesterday that the human race started reproducing. You think we'd know better by now.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#38 of 58 Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post

Toilet Training

“Some mothers boast that their child was trained to have his bowel movement in the potty by the time he was 1 year old. Actually this means that the baby had a fairly regular bowel movement, and the mother was trained to catch it in the potty.”
Hehe, I wonder what the book would say to EC. My baby was "potty trained" from about 4 or 5 weeks old and she CERTAINLY does not have bowel movements that can be considered at all regular

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#39 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Wow, that is just bananas.

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#40 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Yep, and just think...
The doctor that "delivered" my kiddo was actively practicing medicine in 1969... and gave out MOST of that advice *shudder*

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#41 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane quoting from the scary book
Circumcision (This is the entire section)

“If your doctor elects to circumcise your boy
How the heck did I miss this the first time through?
#42 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
How the heck did I miss this the first time through?
Yeah, that one really got under my skin (no pun intended).

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#43 of 58 Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Wow. Just...wow.

How 'come we don't do exactly what our lawyer tells us to do all the time? How about the president?

Should I just always do what a firefighter tells me to do because they are in a "position of authority?"

What makes someone an authoritative figure? I thought they were people just like everyone else. And WHY on EARTH would I EVER listen to a doctor about advice on how to raise my children? Childrearing isn't a medical procedure and has absolutely nothing to do with doctors. Who the heck are they to cut my child up or tell me to put her in another room and let her cry? :

One would think that women would look up to their own mothers and grandmothers for that kind of information.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#44 of 58 Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM

A lot of the article actually made me cry. For the mom's and the babies.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#45 of 58 Old 06-04-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
WOW! :

Thanks for sharing! What a read! It kind of makes me wonder how much misinformation WE have that our kids and grandkids will laugh and wince at in 50 years??!!
That's what I always think when I see stuff like this.

Also...MEAT at 5 months? DD didn't even get her first tooth until 11 months...and she would not touch solids until after she was a year old...I can't imagine a 5 month old eating meat!
#46 of 58 Old 06-04-2008, 03:03 AM

Remember whatever your doctor decides to do, he does because it is best for you and your baby. When the time comes, just relax and do what he tells you to do.’
==========

:
#47 of 58 Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 PM

My Nana once told me all about how when she had her babies. She just picked their birthday with the doctor, went down to the hospital at the appointed time with her bag packed, then they induced her, knocked her out, and when she woke up she'd had the baby.

It seems so strange to me, but she liked the no-worry simplicity of it all.

Serendipity
#48 of 58 Old 06-13-2008, 07:42 PM

I don't even know where to start...
The part that probably bugs me the most is the continual "Your doctor will decide..."
#49 of 58 Old 06-14-2008, 12:10 AM

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#50 of 58 Old 06-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
One would think that women would look up to their own mothers and grandmothers for that kind of information.
Even today that advice would likely be "you should just do what your doctor says" or "well, my doctor told me to do thus and such when I had babies."
#51 of 58 Old 07-18-2008, 02:10 AM

Scary. Although, all the 'do what your doctor tells you' really isn't that much different from What to Expect when You're Expecting.
#52 of 58 Old 07-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrendipity View Post
My Nana once told me all about how when she had her babies. She just picked their birthday with the doctor, went down to the hospital at the appointed time with her bag packed, then they induced her, knocked her out, and when she woke up she'd had the baby.

It seems so strange to me, but she liked the no-worry simplicity of it all.

Serendipity
That sounds like twilight sleep. They'd give the woman drugs that did nothing for the pain, just made her go into a daze for sometimes days at a time, strapped them to the beds, and left them there. They just couldn't remember it.
#53 of 58 Old 07-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Just NUTSO!

I just read over this with my mom. I was born in 1974 and she labored her ENTIRE labor, pushed a few times and they they gassed her with nitrous and she went unconscious and woke up to me, her first born. Makes me assume I was forceps since she was not doing any pushing after the first few. She was then given the "pill" to dry up her milk. She's regreted not nursing me since then.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#54 of 58 Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 PM

I have to agree that the blind "follow your doctor" lines really, really irked me. However, outside of this amazing board, I am faced with people, mamas, who still toe this line. I recently tried posting to two other boards for moms and quickly realized that I am indeed swimming against the current of those who are mindlessly flowing with societal norms.

I often wonder where the women of the world lost their ability or desire to follow and trust their instincts. How is it that an entire message board of seemingly intelligent, educated, loving mamas can jump on the bandwagon to say, "Yes! Yes! Let that baby cry it out! It's for his own good! It's for YOUR own good! We know it is HARD to go through, but it will get better in a few days' time and you'll be soooo glad you did it!" I feel like the Lone Ranger saying, "The reason it FEELS so bad for you, the reason you sit in the other room and cry as your child is crying for you is because that is Mother Nature telling you to PICK UP YOUR BABY!" And for that... I am completely ostracized, I am called militant or out of touch or judgemental....

Thank God for MDC!!

Wife to one amazing man, unschooly mama to 2 boys daily (8/99 and 6/06), mom to 4 boys (6/94 and 2/00) and countless exchange students, praying to someday homebirth a daughter...
#55 of 58 Old 08-10-2008, 05:57 AM

ugh. makes me shudder

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#56 of 58 Old 08-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Scary. And so sad

Maxime - Wife to Brian (08.11.2007) - Mommy to Lili Elizabeth (08.12.2008)
#57 of 58 Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 AM

Very scary stuff. The miracle is that we are all still alive.
#58 of 58 Old 08-10-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writermommy View Post
Wow, this was the year after I was born. I wanted to add a piece of medical "wisdom" given to my mom: "Give her a bottle of water every day. Breastfed babies can die or get dehydrated without water." : Holy crap!

My mom too. With DD1 she used to sneak her a 4oz bottle of water every day until I busted her and she said she was doing it for over a week and she was fine. She had this smug I told you so look on her face.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page