Jambands AND Fest Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey! I figured we should merge and get to know each other on one thread!
I left off the vending families, cause I thought that was a bit different and they prob. talk about things nonvendors wont understand!
Link to the old jamband thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=337749
To the old Fest thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=287609

SO lets move our disscusions from those threads to over here!
What are your dancing plans for the rest of the summer?!?!
We are going to Grateful Fest at the end of this month, a HOokah show next week,a Hookah Weekend at the end of July, DMB in Aug. That seems about it. I remember how my summers used to look, and they look weak now!
I hope it will be easier to "meet" you all if the threads are combined!!
#2 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't been to any of the previous threads, but I'm here for this one now!! :

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#3 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 04:03 PM

I hope we can successfully merge because I was having trouble keeping up with what I posted and where... and I know I'm not the only one here who suffers from a little short~term~memory~lapse from time to time!

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#4 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 05:13 PM

Woah, I followed the link in your sigg HA, and that's really cool. That has always facinated me! I love watching people work with glass, It's amazing what they can do with it. I hope to learn a little bit about it one day.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 05:19 PM

Just subbing. Good idea on merging the threads

Peace,
Shelbi

Anyone else on here going to the Flowmotion Summer Meltdown in WA state?:
#6 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyArmpits
I hope we can successfully merge because I was having trouble keeping up with what I posted and where... and I know I'm not the only one here who suffers from a little short~term~memory~lapse from time to time!
Subbing.......... and seconding the short term memory lapse!!!!

Thanks hooka girl for tryin' to get this whole thing under control!!!
#7 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 09:22 PM

Can we say : PHIL AND FRIENDS!!!!!!!: Yippie, this thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we're working a table, so it wont break the bank!!!! So xcited. Gonna get my dance on :: : : :
#8 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 10:02 PM

Just subbing for now, need to wait and see how it'll work out with a newborn and toddler this summer before we make any fest plans. Anyone have any suggestions for Oregon/Washington fests?
#9 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 10:07 PM

Hey look a thread thats not so HUGE, and I can finally post and get to know you all! I am a Cheese head from the cheese state!!!! I havent been doin much dancin recently, DS actually went to more shows IN me then he has OUT!
Nice to meet you all, and Im glad I could get in in the ground level on this one!
#10 of 786 Old 06-15-2006, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

I know that feeling!
DD went to alot in me, not so much outside of me! I didnt think the "mamabear" in me would come out so much after she was born! I have taken her to a few shows, but I always get pissed at some drunk person getting too close to my baby and we leave!!
We did take her to a fest when she was 3 months old! It was GREAT until I took and Imodium AD....and I was breastfeeding. Poor girl, I totally forgot! We left the next day!!

OH i want to see phil and friends SOOO bad, have fun mama!!
#11 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the merge!!

We're hittin Phil & Friends with Trey here in CT on July 3rd!!! Can't wait. My Mom is watching the boys for the night so they can go to her neighborhood block party in the am. I was wanting to bring them but am actually excited to dance and not worry about where they are!
And the on to Gathering of the VIbes!!!
#12 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyArmpits
... and I know I'm not the only one here who suffers from a little short~term~memory~lapse from time to time!
amen, mama! :
#13 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual
Woah, I followed the link in your sigg HA, and that's really cool.
Thanks mama...
(...and thanks also, caspian's mama, for emailing me! )

Well, we decided not to go to the DMB show at SPAC this weekend. That whole scene just really annoys me!!

...but Phil's at Spac in a couple of weeks, and then he's comin to my hometown!!! WOOT!

Also checkin out Black Crowes w/ Robert Randolph & the Family Band, and trying to decide between Tom Petty/Alman Bros @Spac or CSN&Y @ Bethel... decisions decisions!

So happy to see some new mamas coming out of hiding! I knew I couldn't be the only one having trouble keeping up w/ the threads!:

Brooke: a glass~blowin' hand~drummin' tree~huggin' home~birthin' earth~lovin' goddess~mama of 3!
#14 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 11:56 AM

Oh yeah... PS... Earth Angel~ did you see my response to your Q's on the "Festival" thread before the merge?

#15 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Hey mamas!!!!!
Yeah- now that I am preggo...my memory is just gooooooooooooone....: I'm crazier than ever
Well...good idear Whit combining...I get so lost!
Yeah- my summer= supa lame! Well...except going to births which is awesome and moving which is needed....but show wise it's pretty pathectic.
I toured with Makena while pregnant and last summer when he was portable. Now...not so much. Plus, we're really poor and the price of shows keeps getting higher and higher
We don't DMB- the secne is pretty lame. If I wanted to I could just walk around my (SUPER college) town at 2 AM when students are back and get the same experience without paying fitty bucks...sorry to be a downer, just how I feel!
We're doing Gratefulfest with my girl, Whit . And SCI/Ratdoggy dog in Philly. I am excited...but know I am going to be so exhausted! When I did tour pregnant with Makena- I slept at every show- just passed out in my chair or on the lawn...and threw up...and shows are like the one place where you're not the only one puking in public, which is nice!
I just feel bad for this babe! Makena totally loved shows in my belly, I think that is why he's so happy!
Maybe I can work the belly and get a miracle for SCi....hmmmm.
ENJOY your shows mamas!!!!!!!!
And Hairypits- you are such a badass! Your glass is hot,mama!!!
#16 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM

What a GREAT idea merging these two threads. I was only a lurker on the other ones because I knew I would NEVER be able to keep them straight!

Going to leave DD this weekend for the FIRST TIME EVER and go to a mini-fest at Mishawaka Amphitheatre here in CO.

Next weekend is WSP at Red Rocks. It's up in the air as to whether or not she'll come with us to both Sat & Sun or just Sun. We'll see.

The weekend after is SCI/RatDog at Red Rocks. I am SUPER-pumped for that! I have never even SEEN Ratdog (though I have seen Cheese more times than I can count)

In the middle of July, we are going to see CSNY at Red Rocks (we are SO LUCKY to be living in CO near such an AMAZING venue!)

Happy groovin to all!
#17 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 01:59 PM

Also wanted to say I am happy that there is a thread for peeps like us!
#18 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 PM

I have Sirius satellite radio and next week on the jamband channel they are going to have WSP at the Red Rocks live on the air. I am so excited. The only festival I plan on attending this year is the Flowmotion Summer Meltdown. That's it due to money issues. Oh well! Once I get through nursing school I will definitely be able to see more shows. It is expensive and the price just keeps going up. It's difficult for families to attend when tix prices are that high.

Peace,
Shelbi
#19 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 04:22 PM

we're going to bruce hampton and the code talkers on thursday (cd release party)
phil on sunday
trey and mike with the duo in july and
bela fleck in august. i'm happy to be able to bring the boys to phil and bela fleck. we do go to a few show's just me and dh at small venues, but it's feeling good to get back in the groove.
we may see the allman bro.s early august. i want to see them again here in ga. before we move on... if that ever happens!

i got pregnate with ds out of the blue while just sorta dating dh. at the time i had to totally drop out of going to show's and what not because i went through this... i dont know... almost like resentment towards my sweet baby for coming along before i was ready... it feels like a lifetime ago, and those feelings didn't last long. I totally was imature. was anyone else there?!
#20 of 786 Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 PM

I just wanted to drop in and y'all! I am going to too many shows and festies this summer to name them all right now, I gotta get back to my sewing machines! I am busting out a bunch earthy linen patchy shorts for the upcoming Bela/Keller/YMSB show and the String Cheese/Ratdog the next night!
mamas!
#21 of 786 Old 06-18-2006, 12:05 PM

Whitney, thanx so much for merging the threads!!

I hope all you mamas are enjoyin the summertime!!!

Lizzo!!! Congrats on !!! So many mamas around me are preggo again and I'm totally getting the itch. I made a chart to see how old Madison would be when the baby is born based on when we concieve : . I think we will try for an EDD around 11/07 so she will be about 2 & a 1/2. How old will Makena be? When are you moving to the Fort? We have to get together when you come out - with Meredith (yogamerd) too!!!

Meredith, give me a call when you come down for WSP. I have a HUGE bag of clothes for Kendra. Some good summer stuff too . We're getting so stoked for RR Queso. We decided not to do Flagstaff because we just don't think Madison would be happy (LOTS of driving in a small amount of time and RR right after we'd get back. Plus we're broke). We're having a pool party at our community pool on the 2nd from noon to 3 or so. Please come by!! There's a pool and a hot tub and some grills.

Next show: the Big Wu this Thursday
#22 of 786 Old 06-18-2006, 01:41 PM

RR Queso
That was so cute!
#23 of 786 Old 06-18-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone watching the Bonnaro live feeds??? Totally cool!! PM for the link, or let me know if I can post it here!!
#24 of 786 Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo
We don't DMB- the secne is pretty lame. If I wanted to I could just walk around my (SUPER college) town at 2 AM when students are back and get the same experience without paying fitty bucks...sorry to be a downer, just how I feel!

I'm sorry hon, but I HAD to laugh at this one. I'm originally from Williamsport (not too far from you) and have been to State College (closest head shop when we were growing up )!! I just completely understand what you're talking about.

Quote:
Oh yeah... PS... Earth Angel~ did you see my response to your Q's on the "Festival" thread before the merge
Yes, Yes...thank you!! Very helpful!! We will hopefully get out there, but just aren't sure. Sounds like a nice, family friendly place!!

We might still hit Phil and Friends In Mass too (caspian's mamma, we found a nice camp ground only about a 20 min drive away or so if you're still going???), just not sure what with Dh and his building schedule. We are both really hoping it all works out though, so, hopefully with all those good intentions, something will materalize. I just SOOOO need to get my groove on
#25 of 786 Old 06-19-2006, 12:54 AM

whit: thanks for the reminder. i've been rocking out on and off all night, since i got home from work. it's a pretty poor substitute for actually being there, but it's a lot better than driving all the frickin way to tennessee!! i wanna stay up for mike, but i think my valerian will kick in before then.

earth: i've already got my tix, so i'm going regardless (esp after watching tonight's performance). i just haven't figured out yet whether we'll crash or drive home, because i don't know if i'll have the next day off from work... and, unfortunately, they way it's been i probably won't know till the preceding saturday. i'll keep you posted asap, though! either way, i still wanna hook the kids up if you guys come down for it.
#26 of 786 Old 06-19-2006, 09:23 AM

Wow, it sounds llike there are some STELLAR shows happening down there! We were supposed to go see the Chesse @ Redrocks last summer as a finale to my pregnancy and the last trip we'd take as just a couple, but DH had border-crossing issues and we were denied (damn America's war on drugs!!!- that's a whole other rant!).

Mah well, DH is still not allowed in the States, but we're working on it- it's all the great line-ups you get that's motivating him to ge the waiver.

#27 of 786 Old 06-19-2006, 10:05 AM

Do you have protective ear-wear for your little ones?

If so what kind and where did you get it?

#28 of 786 Old 06-19-2006, 10:39 AM

i'd use the little moldable swimming ear plugs. we tried the foam ones when ds was 2yo, but it was too easy for him to yank them out.

i don't know about 1yo and younger, but ds didn't mind the noise. he's always been exposed to it, though, so he may have already built an immunity. (during my second trimester i took him, in utero, to see our friend spin a hardcore set at a rave. i also used to drum on my belly all the time when i was driving around, so he could feel the beats.)

ds's biggest problem was the crowd. i think if he'd been younger and in a sling or nursing, he'd have done fine. but he was old enough to want his own space, yet still too small to understand why there were SO many people and why it was SO loud and why it was dark, but had crazy flashing lights. that's when we were in regular seats, though. he did fine when we were way in the back, or on the lawn.
#29 of 786 Old 06-19-2006, 04:02 PM

I definitely prefer the lawn now that we have two kiddos. It makes it easier to stake out a place by setting up your blanket. I also like to go with some other adults that way we can put the kids in the middle of the blanket and line it up on 3 sides with adults to help keep the kiddos corralled. Plus, I bring lots of toys, games, coloring books and crayons, and some play doh as well as lots of healthy snacks and juice for the kids. I always get my bag searched and they haven't ever said I couldn't take any of the stuff into the show but some venues won't allow drinks no matter what.

I did use ear protection. The swimming ones are great. But, now they are older they won't wear them at all. It was much easier when they were younger, now they are old enough to tell me they don't want to wear them and then refuse. So, for now they don't wear it. We are usually on the lawn so the noise isn't so bad. I wish they would wear them but I understand why they don't. They aren't exactly comfie.

Peace,
Shelbi
#30 of 786 Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM

Hi Mamas ~ Just found this thread!!

We're not doing a whole lot this summer except for shows that are close to where we live. We are definetly going to High Sierra Music Festival. We're talking about going to Sierra Nevada World Music Festival and I'm thinking about trying to make it out to Burning Man.

I want to go to SNWMF and sell my henna. I'm thinking that I could do henna for free and ask for donations... what do ya'll think? I have tons of henna left over from this festival that I was doing and then it turned out to be sh*tty weather and no one showed up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page