Anyone like Indie Rock? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 695 Old 07-06-2006, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NadiaLadida
I'm so glad that this thread is still up and running.

Red House Painters anyone? Come to think of it, anything on the 4AD label is okay by me. I've seen mentioned several, but don't forget Throwing Muses and This Mortal Coil.
In college I bought everything on 4ad. This was back in the late '80s early 90s so Wolfgang Press, Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Colourbox, Throwing Muses, The Mortal Coil, etc., etc. Anybody else like David Sylvian? Bauhaus?

Now I'm into The Decemberists, Death Cab for Cutie and Iron & Wine.

I sort of feel it's my duty to remain a little hip about music for my dd. My mother listened to WXRT when I was growing up so I got exposed to Roxy Music, The Clash and Elvis Costello very early on plus my mother's love of Led Zepplin, Joni Mitchell and Patti Smith.
#122 of 695 Old 07-06-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz
Overlooked Records of 2006
Anyone listen to any of these yet? I'm curious about Espers since they're local to me.
Nope, never heard of any of those. The Casiotone for the Painfully Alone album cover is quite charming!
#123 of 695 Old 07-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Banned

Scissorfight (sp) :
#124 of 695 Old 07-07-2006, 08:46 PM

Hey, I got to see Panic at the Disco, Dresden Dolls, and Hush sound last night. It was a great show! Very theatrical and amusing. I was impressed the crowd sang along with every song.

The Spoon site is really nice and there are 15+ songs available.

http://spoontheband.com/site.html
#125 of 695 Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 PM

Also, I bought MOJO and Fliter mags to help me keep-up.
#126 of 695 Old 07-08-2006, 02:21 AM

Does anyone read Venus? That's a pretty cool little mag!
Venus

Oh, and Magnet? It's published in Philadelphia, so I'm not sure how far it goes out into the world.
Magnet
We subscribe, but dh gets annoyed with it.
#127 of 695 Old 07-08-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by con leche
Does anyone read Venus? That's a pretty cool little mag!
Venus

Oh, and Magnet? It's published in Philadelphia, so I'm not sure how far it goes out into the world.
Magnet
We subscribe, but dh gets annoyed with it.
Never heard of Venus, but I'll have to check it out.
As for Magnet, I know it well. I interned there in college my dh and I used to live with Magnet's editor before we left for our stint in CA. People subscribe to Magnet from all over the world. I remember sending some issues out to as far away as Europe.
Jen, just wondering - why does your dh get annoyed with it?
#128 of 695 Old 07-08-2006, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have definitely read Magnet. Well, now I just have my Mojo subscription but I used to buy Magnet all the time.

Never heard of Venus.
#129 of 695 Old 07-08-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalou
In college I bought everything on 4ad. This was back in the late '80s early 90s so Wolfgang Press, Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, Colourbox, Throwing Muses, The Mortal Coil, etc., etc. Anybody else like David Sylvian? Bauhaus?
Undead.Undead.Undead. They were actually before my time, but we liked 'em anyhow. I graduated HS in 1994.

I watched the old bela lugosi video just today on youtube. goodness. takes itself verrrrry seriously.
#130 of 695 Old 07-08-2006, 11:36 PM

I am sooo in love with World Party right now!!! The local radio station here is playing them in heavy rotation since they played Bonnaroo, it is time for a resurgence of this group Karl Wallinger's is so talented.
#131 of 695 Old 07-09-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicylucy
me. I love britpop. Does anyone else like Arctic Monkeys? I am really into them right now.
I love them
#132 of 695 Old 07-09-2006, 03:28 PM

Sufjan Stevens announced he's doing a fall tour. I can only imagine that would be an AWESOME show.
#133 of 695 Old 07-09-2006, 04:48 PM
jkg

Quote:
Sufjan Stevens announced he's doing a fall tour. I can only imagine that would be an AWESOME show.
Sadly it doesn't look like he's coming to Michigan. I haven't been to a good show in a long time.
#134 of 695 Old 07-09-2006, 08:24 PM

Quote:
It was nice to hear him mentioned in the Snow Patrol song Hands Open, I hope it will help spur a new following.
#135 of 695 Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Never heard of Venus, but I'll have to check it out.
As for Magnet, I know it well. I interned there in college my dh and I used to live with Magnet's editor before we left for our stint in CA. People subscribe to Magnet from all over the world. I remember sending some issues out to as far away as Europe.
Jen, just wondering - why does your dh get annoyed with it?
That's cool!

DH said that they've gone "XPN" on him and that they don't really critique anyone, they just kind of love everything. Apparently, that annoys him. He is a music snob, though.
#136 of 695 Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Oh I LOVE the Decemberists!
Also I dont know if I mentioned them before but Great Lake Swimmers are awesome!! Been listening to them alot lately.
#137 of 695 Old 07-10-2006, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by con leche
That's cool!

DH said that they've gone "XPN" on him and that they don't really critique anyone, they just kind of love everything. Apparently, that annoys him. He is a music snob, though.
I can see that about Magnet. I feel a bit like Alternative Press is the same way. (I tend to be a bit of a snob myself )
#138 of 695 Old 07-10-2006, 08:15 PM

Yes, I see it, too. There are a few music magazines that used to be a heck of a lot less diplomatic when it came to reviews. That's why I get a kick out of Pitchfork.
As for XPN - hey, that's one of the very few decent radio stations in the Philly area! Sure, they play some lame crap but on occasion they'll play long stretches of great tunes.
#139 of 695 Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM

[QUOTE=flyingspaghettimama]Undead.Undead.Undead. They were actually before my time, but we liked 'em anyhow. I graduated HS in 1994.

QUOTE]

And did you wear black eyeliner and want to marry Robert Smith? If so, we would have hung out together and worn trench coats.

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#140 of 695 Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
As for XPN - hey, that's one of the very few decent radio stations in the Philly area! Sure, they play some lame crap but on occasion they'll play long stretches of great tunes.
True!

But he is definitely not a singer/songwriter type of guy, and that seems to be XPN's forte.
#141 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Bump! No way is this thread going down! :

So tell me what's up with the Arcade Fire? Are they working on anything new? I do not keeping up with my reading other than Mojo so basically I just learn about the Beatles and the Stones every month

My DH hooked the computer up to our stereo so I can start loading our albums into itunes. I am so happy about this as there is a ton of music that we only have on vinyl--Galaxie 500 most importantly!

Anyone else still collect the albums?
#142 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM

Arcade Fire are fabulous...if you watch TV and have ON DEMAND they have a video on one of the music channels. I also love Broken Social Scene...from all your posts I'd imagine you'd really dig them, Lazyhead.

We have a record player (Gorgeous thing that it is) but we need a new needle. It mysteriously broke and we need to order it online. There's a great record store near us (really close to con leche, actually) that has thousands of records....they don't really specialize in indie, though. Lots of great classic/psych rock and jazz, though.
I mentioned it before...if you're looking for a great record check out Versus' Frog record. OMG.
#143 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

You know I have a couple Broken Social Scene albums that a friend burned for me and it just doesn't grab me. I will keep listening but I don't immediately LOVE it like I have other stuff. The only thing new I have really liked lately is the new Sonic Youth album and I don't think that counts as new! It's really good though. Their best in a very long time. I downloaded a song by Gnarls Barkley (based on someone's suggestion here) and it is pretty cool and different so I may get the whole album. Any thoughts on this?

I highly recommend http://www.needledoctor.com/ for all record accessories.
#144 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and we did download that Versus Frog EP from K Records. It's pretty cool. We decided we would have seriously LOVED it had we heard it back in the day.
#145 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 01:48 PM

Ok, sorry for the poor recommendation, Lazyhead. I guess I'm just so enamored with Broken Social Scene/Leslie Feist (her solo album gets my vote for best summer listening album) that I assume everyone would agree!

I haven't heard the new Sonic Youth but would love to. I've read lots of glowing reviews.

I was the one who recommended Gnarls Barkley. Good stuff. Have you checked out their web site? WEEEEEEEEEEEIRD. We were also thinking about downloading songs for our IPod but weren't sure if it was worth it to get the whole album. On a side-note my dh and I were randomly watching Cribs on MTV months ago and Cee-Lo's house was featured. He and his wife are totally crunchy and seemed so down to earth. I got the impression that they'd fit right in on MDC!

Thanks for the link for the needledoctor. Looks like just the site we need. Here's the turntable we have - in the champagne color. We splurged and LOVE it.

That Frog EP totally reminds me of life before marriage/being a mama. It's so 90s
#146 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

I see that DJ Danger Mouse is part of Gnarls Barkley. I have an album by him called "The Grey Album" that is all songs with the music from The Beatles' "White Album". It's kind of cool but I really like the "White Album" so after a while I just want to listen to that instead .

Gnarls Barkley is interesting!

No apologies necessary for Broken Social Scene! I swear it's just me. Others have told me I would like them too(hence the burned copies of their albums). Wolf Parade is kind of similar to them I think. Both sort of poised to pick up the Arcade Fire mantle. I will check out Leslie Feist...

What about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah?
#147 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That Frog EP totally reminds me of life before marriage/being a mama. It's so 90s
My DH dug it quite a bit. His favorite album is Headsparks.
#148 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Undead.Undead.Undead. They were actually before my time, but we liked 'em anyhow. I graduated HS in 1994.

I watched the old bela lugosi video just today on youtube. goodness. takes itself verrrrry seriously.
I saw them in their last tour and they don't actually. A friend of mine had seen them the tour before that which was before my time and also saw Joe Jackson that same week. He thought Bauhaus would be a bunch of posers and Joe Jackson an honest muscian. Instead Bauhaus basically laughed at their image and had fun the entire show and Joe Jackson complained about the acoustics the entire show. At least until someone pointed out that Louis Armstrong had had no problems playing in that venue. She's in Parties is my fave video by them.
#149 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 PM

Wow, what year was that, Lisalou? I saw Love and Rockets in ummm '89, I think. The stupid thing is that the Pixies opened up, and I was excited about Love and Rockets. I hardly even payed any mind to the Pixies. It was during the Doolittle era, too! God, 13 year olds are dumb!

Mama to dd 2/06 and ds 12/09
#150 of 695 Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM

I just ordered some Heather Nova..Her first album Oyster..I used to have another one years ago but dont know what happened to it. Ive really been in the mood for some Heather lately.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page