Anyone like Indie Rock? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 695 Old 06-21-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas

Just looking for other moms out there who enjoy what used to be termed "indie rock". You know, Sonic Youth, Flaming Lips, Yo La Tengo, Built to Spill, and newer stuff like Rogue Wave or The Walkmen...I LOVE to talk about music but haven't met any other MOM'S who like to talk about music like I do. Are you out there???
#2 of 695 Old 06-21-2006, 11:51 PM

I just erased a whole long spiel I wrote about my musical interests so here I go again...Hi, Yes I am definitely into and inspired by "indie rock" although there are so many wierd categories. I've listened to some F.L. Built to Spill, Guided By Voices..(My hubby loves..These bands) and I like the but have always been more into my stuff which is an eclectic range of dreamy brit rock Popish stuff to alt.country-rock....For instance I love Belle and Sebastian, Wilco, The Old97's, Wheat, THe strokes, Frans Ferdinand,oops Baby is waking I'll write more later...
#3 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yes I love the Brit pop. I even like some of those newer brit poppy bands like the Kaiser Chiefs. Do you like Blur or Supergrass?

I like all those bands that you mentioned although I've never heard of Wheat. If they are on itunes I'll check them out.

Did you ever see the Wilco movie "I am trying to Break your heart?" So good.
#4 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM

Blur and Supergrass are great...I loved the Wilco movie. I've seen them anumber of times and have always been blown away. Ialso really liked all their Billy Bragg Woody Gutrie albums... I've been out of the loop for a while because I'm not familiar with the Kaiser Chiefs..I'll check them out...
#5 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM

I definitely used to . . . at one point my life outside of work pretty much revolved around it, but I feel really out of that whole thing now and haven't bought any new music or gone to see anyone play in the longest time. Occasionally a friend will be talking about some band or other that's doing something new and interesting and I'll have never heard about them before. Mommyhood really swallowed that part of my life up.

However, dh (who is a musician) is still connected somewhat to what's going on. For example, he used to write about music and still gets magazines and reads up about his favorites. The latest issue of Mojo (the Beatles issue) has a long, interesting article about Sonic Youth. I read it and thought, boy am I out of it.
#6 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempd
I definitely used to . . . at one point my life outside of work pretty much revolved around it, but I feel really out of that whole thing now and haven't bought any new music or gone to see anyone play in the longest time. Occasionally a friend will be talking about some band or other that's doing something new and interesting and I'll have never heard about them before. Mommyhood really swallowed that part of my life up.
Tell me about it, sister. That was all that I used to do. Before we moved to this small town & had a baby we lived in Chicago and that was all we did--go to shows and shop at record stores! The last concert I saw was The Stooges reunion tour when I was pregnant. I am thinking I'd like to take my dd to some sort of casual outdoor festival with music this summer. She's 2.5 and could probably handle it now.

I LOVE Mojo magazine. I am always considering cancelling my subscription because it's so friggin expensive but then I think I'd be SO out of the loop I might be too far gone to ever return!!

The new Sonic Youth album is good. Kim is singing again! If it weren't for itunes and Insound.com I would never have any new music either.
#7 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 02:56 PM

me. I love britpop. Does anyone else like Arctic Monkeys? I am really into them right now.
#8 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 02:59 PM

Me!
I really like the new Sonic Youth. My dh saw them last night in Atlanta-he was on a business trip. He said that they were great. You named some of my favorite bands.

My dh is a huge brit pop fan but I'm not into it. I also love a lot of "alt country" stuff.

I don't get out much anymore-can't stay up that late.
#9 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah The Arctic Monkeys are good. I get annoyed by the hype machine around them but one of the good things about being out of the loop is that I don't get too overwhelmed by that kind of stuff anymore.

Not that I'm all about the Kaiser Chiefs or anything but their song "I Predict A Riot" is soooo good. The rest of the album is so-so. I got it on itunes because a teenage boy recommended it me!
#10 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

OK I am just so excited to talk about music with mommies!

The last time I saw Sonic Youth Jim O'Rourke was in the band and it was WEIRD when they walked out on stage with 5 members!! I have seen Sonic Youth more than any other band I think. Except maybe the Flaming Lips.
#11 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Me!
Im a huge music lover!!.
I love Sonic Youth and Built to Spill too! Ive heard of the Arctic Monkeys and Supergrass. Ill have to check them out.
Im also big into girl indie rock like Sleater-Kinney and Tegan and Sara.
Been diggin Nada Surf alot and Great Lake Swimmers.
I also love Bluegrass typw stuff Like The Be Good Tanyas and Po Girl.
I love to talk music
#12 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Tegan & Sara. I've never even heard of them but I see they are on the Veronica Mars soundtrack. Are they new-wavey?

I pretty much like all music--rock, pop, jazz, atl-country, oldtimey country, bluegrass, and all the various mini-genres. Although I don't like mainstream country or jungle.

And yes to Nada Surf. I love their song I wanna know what it's like on the inside of love. It's always getting stuck in my head.
#13 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 04:44 PM

Hmmm...They are kind of new wavey. They have an interesting sound.
I LOVE old country but also dont like new mainstream country either.
I DO like the Dixie Chicks however.
#14 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

The Dixie Chicks are a true cross-over sensation!! I like them too. My dd loves their version of Rainbow Connection. I'm pretty fond of it myself. I only have one of their albums--Wide Open Spaces--that I got from the library. Should I get more?
#15 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 05:28 PM

Yep, another indie mama here- a lot of old stuff, but some new stuff as well. I'm loving Richard Ashcroft (formerly of The Verve) and his new work, and the Arctic Monkeys- I cried the first time I heard When The Sun Goes Down. I can be such a sap sometimes.
Who else? Erm, Lost Prophets, Snow Patrol, The Kooks (obvious, I know, but I love them.) And Belle and Sebastian are fantastic, still. I heard one of their latest songs, Funny Little Frog recently, and it's just perfect for where I am in my life right now. Which is weird, because I used to go out dancing to them 10 years ago when I was young and free and single.
The Divine Comedy are still the best band ever, ever, ever though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#16 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 05:39 PM

Oh, thank god! Music fan mamas!

Like jempd said, my life used to revolve around music. I lived in Athens, GA, so for a while there almost every friend I had was involved in the music industry in some way. I even sang onstage a couple times. DH and I also owned an indie record store in Savannah for a couple years until we moved back to CT.

At one time, my life revolved around who was playing where and when, but there's not much good live music in Savannah and then once we had DS there was no time.

Since we have been in CT I have seen Rufus Wainwright and Jane Siberry twice. Not "indie rock" exactly, but not Top 40 either! But that's it.To hear good music we have to go to Boston, New York, or Northampton, which just doesn't happen often. It's just hard when you have a 6 y.o. I think we could take him to some shows now, and we certainly would if the opportunity arose. I would get him earplugs though!

I love alt country, Britpop, and indie rock. I am a huge Ryan Adams fan, plus Rufus and Jane. I also love Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Calla, the Verve, Radiohead, and Travis. DH loves The Shins, Sigur Ros, Gorillaz, Rogue Wave, and Modest Mouse.

Tree Hugger, we love Kaiser Chiefs and Blur!
#17 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 05:57 PM

Most of my favorite bands have been listed already (wow, Joe Cool...never expected to see Wheat listed - probably one of my all time favorite shows!) but I'll add a few...

Mercury Rev, Blonde Redhead, Superchunk, Rollerskate Skinny (old friends just started a new band with the RS singer in NYC- amazing stuff), Beck, Stereolab, Granddaddy, Pavement and recently I've been digging Gnarls Barkley (brilliant name) and Sufjan Stevens (a must-hear).

ETA: Pitchfork has great reviews for those who like that sort of thing.
#18 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hugger
Should I get more?
Oh absolutely!
Ive got Wide Open Spaces and Fly. I think I am going to get their new one soon. Ive heard a couple of songs and its very good! Alot more political.
I also love Lisa Germano (usermane is a LG song and album)
Oh I forgot the Shins and The Decemberists!
I love this..A music lovin mamas tribe!
#19 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 06:17 PM

Oh and I have a huge collection of music on my computer. Late last night i spent hours cleaning up and organizing my collection.A very relaxing activity. Its something I take pride in..Kinda like a stamp collection I love to look at all my files
Anyone else?
#20 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_the_girl
Oh and I have a huge collection of music on my computer. Late last night i spent hours cleaning up and organizing my collection.A very relaxing activity. Its something I take pride in..Kinda like a stamp collection I love to look at all my files
Anyone else?
OMG my dh is always teasing me about this. I have borrowed everybody I knows cd collections as well as the library's and loaded it into my computer. I will sit in the evenings and go through and catalogue it by genres and playlists. My latest endeavor is correcting all the years that pop up in itunes. It's a big task but I think I'm up to it!
#21 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama
I love alt country, Britpop, and indie rock. I am a huge Ryan Adams fan, plus Rufus and Jane. I also love Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, Wilco, Lucinda Williams, Calla, the Verve, Radiohead, and Travis. DH loves The Shins, Sigur Ros, Gorillaz, Rogue Wave, and Modest Mouse.
Yes! Yes! But not Lucinda Williams. Her twang just rubs me the wrong way!
I just have to add the drummer for Interpol used to play with my dh in Chicago before he moved to NYC.
Franz makes me wish I was still young and single and dancing!
#22 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

OK sorry to post so much it's just my enthusiasm!

What about My Morning Jacket?
#23 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hugger
OK sorry to post so much it's just my enthusiasm
I understand! Im right there with ya!
Hey btw I was born and raised in Michigan in Waterford (N.E. Metro Detroit area)
Oh..I LOVE Interpol! Thats cool your dh played with the drummer!
I have heard I think one song by My Morning Jacket..I need to listen to more. Ive got a list of stuff to check out today..My Space is good! and sometimes there are free downloads
#24 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 PM

Ohh..And some older indie rock ive been listening to is Mazzy Star..I also love The Sundays! One of my all time favorites!
#25 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek_the_girl
Ohh..And some older indie rock ive been listening to is Mazzy Star..I also love The Sundays! One of my all time favorites!
Hello, my name is Megan, and I am 110 years old....

I was listening to Mazzy Star and The Sundays when I was 19. (I'm 38 now.)
#26 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:33 PM

Dont feel too bad Megan! Im almost 34..I dug out and dusted off My Mazzy recently but Ive always loved The Sundays.
#27 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:36 PM

Oh, phew! That makes me feel better!

Thank you!
#28 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i used to be indie-rock. went to all the shows and everything, but alas me kids love them some kid music and not so much mommy and daddy music. actually my dd1 kinda freaks out about non-kid stuff and i'm always with one of my dds. dh is keeping up and has tons of MP3s, but he has sooooooo left me in the dust.

lucinda i love. sundays not so much. i remember mazzy star from way back when (i'm 120).

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#29 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 07:53 PM

We're big into the Flaming Lips in this house. I love Belle and Sebastian, and like most of the bands listed in this thread.
#30 of 695 Old 06-22-2006, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'll be 33 next month. I think even using the term "indie rock" dates me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page