American Idol- Who's Your Pick? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i thought tonight's show was kind of. . .blah. i don't know if the recent headlines have gotten to the performers, but i would imagine that that's messed with morale. i'm SO GLAD corey's gone, though- his voice really bugged me. now if they would just get rid of freakin' carmen, i think things would be interesting. i have the bad feeling she won't get the boot though, since she hasn't been in the bottom 3 the last 2 times. the public seems to listen to simon, and he keeps singing her praises FOR NO APPARENT REASON! what's going on there? tonight the other 3 judges basically told her she looks good, but she can't sing, and simon disagreed. sigh. also think carmen's high school must play a large part in the votes she gets. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by The Lucky One
What the heck was wrong with Simon tonight??? I cannot believe he gave Carmen a better review than Clay!!!!! I just think he can't admit that his wild-card pick sucks.
Amen, sistah! What is the deal. I personally don't think that Simon has any musical ability, and is picking only on what he sees as "star appeal." In light of that, I'm amazed that he actually likes Ruben who is actually musically talented! Simon never makes any criticism of vocal technique or intonation, just tells them they aren't good enough; excpet for Carmen who is never good enough but he doesn't tell her that. I hate her vibrato, and tonight it didn't even sound like she was singing the song, but half calling it out. It was very unmusical, but then that isn't necessarily a requirement for pop singers anyway, so what do I know.

Amusing aside: my husband wanted to know if Ruben wears a 205 shirt because that is his weight. Thanks, honey, you're saying I look 50 pounds heavier than Ruben??? I don't think so. Hubby said that we can't really tell by looking at him on tv, but I disagree.
#63 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 05:39 AM

205 is the area code of Alabama (at least the area he's from). It means "not 90210"

I only liked Reuben tonight. I really do agree with Simon that all the others look and sound like they're doing karaoke. If I heard them on the radio, only Reuben would come across as a legit artist with his own stuff (even if they're not his own songs). And Trenyce is my 2nd place entry. She's just cool and wow can she belt out a song.

Lucky One, I have the idea that the fact that Carmen sucks is exactly what keeps her on Simon's "good" side : iykwim
#64 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by simonee
Lucky One, I have the idea that the fact that Carmen sucks is exactly what keeps her on Simon's "good" side : iykwim
I was thinking something along those lines, but then I wasn't sure if he went for the female type.

I thought Kim Locke was better than karaoke, but I wasn't sure when she first started--it seemed a little weak. Josh, wow, he wasn't even as good as most of the people I see when I go to karaoke, but this genre definitely is not his strong suit. He needs to stick to country.
#65 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In light of that, I'm amazed that he actually likes Ruben who is actually musically talented
When Ruben auditioned, Simon told him that even though he had a good voice, he didn't look like an American Idol. I guess an overweight african american man wasn't his idea of what an american idol should look like. Luckily for Ruben his voice is sweet and smooth and in a class all his own. Also, he is from Alabama, he's proud he's from Alabama, and wares 205 shirts to show his pride, with 205 being Alabama's area code.

At least the country knows, whether they wanted to or not, what Alabama's area code is
#66 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 02:01 PM

I cannot believe that you all think Clay sounded like karaoke! In my opinion he was the only "professional" sounding singer on last night with Ruben coming in second.

Couldn't believe Simon bashed Clay. His performance was perfection!!!
#67 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 03:41 PM

I missed Ricky's (sp?) performance...but wasn't too impressed with the show....although I'll admit, I'm not much into Disco, mainly because it is something that everyone sings in Karaoke : ....

I thought Rueben was good though, and Clay...and Trenyce....

Really didn't like Carmen or Josh...and I usually like Josh, but someone nailed it when they said he needs to stick to Country .....

It will be interesting to see who gets voted off this week.....I'm guessing Josh will be in the bottom 3 though....
I wish I could vote!

Jen
#68 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing Josh will be in the bottom 3 though....
Josh will win the whole competition, because right now, America loves a man in a uniform.
#69 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Josh was horrible last night, I hope he is on the bottom 3. And clay, well I used to like him, he was my #2 guy, but lately he just seems fake to me. Yes, he has a great voice, but that's about all. And after he sings, his eyes have that "aww shucks are you clapping for me" look in them, and by this stage of the competion I'm sick of seeing that look. I would like to see him more into it. He just doesn't seem like he wants it enough. I don't like any of the women, KC looks awesome, too bad the voice isn't.

Ah Ruben.... he can sing for me anytime day or night
#70 of 310 Old 04-02-2003, 10:04 PM

Yes, I am starting to get sick o Clay, TOO!

And, Ruben is the best!!!!
#71 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 12:30 AM

I'm watching now and am so relieved Locke sat down.

I think the only reason Josh is still there is his uniform.
Clay was good vocally last night, but he needed to MOVE. It was freakin' DISCO! Every time Carmen sings a whole note, I want to kick her in the head...her vibrato is out of control. It's like a record skipping.

*hoping Ryan says "GOODBYE CARMEN!"*

GRRRRRRRR! I can't believe they did that! I was wondering how they were going to keep their original finale date.

Now I'm cranky.

They better not sing their damn patriotic song again.
#72 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 12:43 AM

aaaaahhhh!!!! what a rip! if i'd known they were going to do that, i definitely wouldn't have watched. grrrr. i wonder if it would've been trenyce or carmen? looks like america's turning on trenyce post-theft. i SO wish carmen would've bit it. i kind of wish we could vote for who we wanted to see kicked off instead of vice versa.
#73 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 01:05 AM

If anyone had any doubts that the Marine wouldn't win it all, tonight should have put those doubts to rest. To sing as badly as he did last night, and to not even get sent to the bottom three, well, it's just a joke now. I don't know if the other judges have copped on yet, but Simon definitely did. And shame on Fox for making the show an hour and not eliminating someone. At least I was reading the paper while it was on, but some people did waste an hour of time that could have been spent watching our tax dollars go boom.
#74 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 AM

What's the scoop with Trenyce and why did Corey leave?

I'm totally out of the loop!
#75 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RileysMom
What's the scoop with Trenyce and why did Corey leave?

I'm totally out of the loop!

I am not sure what you want to know about Trenyce. But Corey was asked to leave the competion by the execs because he has charges against him havin to do with allegedly hitting his younger sister and resisting arrest and hitting some officers. I quess the issue is he lied about it or hid it from the show producers. He says the charges are false but he knows he was wrong with hiding it from the shows producers, he says he was scared to tell them:
#76 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well what a complete waste of time tonight was, damn them! I could have watched the last 30 mins of Star Search or played Dark Age of Camelot or something with my limited "free" time at night.
#77 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 02:05 PM

I was pissed that I watched this waste of time. And what the hell was Kim Locke doing in the bottom three? Her rendition of "It's Raining Men" was excellent - I thought she was second best next to Ruben. Anyone else think this is a case of size discrimination? Nobody cares how big Ruben is, but I bet a lot of voters can't handle a larger female singer...
#78 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 02:56 PM

I am with HB on this one... Josh the Marine will go all the way because it would be unpatriotic to vote him off. Come on people don't you support America ? (sarcasm) I don't know if he will actually win, if he does that will really suck cause he is not the best. It would probably be a bittersweet victory for him too, to win on his uniform instead of his own merit.

Anyways That show last night was an utter waste of time. The people who called in must feel so ripped off.Was this just to keep Fox on schedule ? Don't tell me they couldn't just whip up a cheesy clip show or something instead.

I actually am beginning to feel a great deal of dislike for the show but Dh insists and then I get sucked in too :

Trenyce has a record that was expunged, something like theft ? I think she was a minor and she told the producers ahead of time and they ok'd it. There's an article I think HB linked to in the smoking gun about it complete with mug shot.

What is Simon's problem ? He's such a B*tch ! That is getting really old as well.
#79 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 06:20 PM

I really hope you guys aren't right about Josh...I mean, he isn't all bad, but definately not the best singer in the bunch!:

Dh watched with me and when they didn't vote anyone off, he was like, that was a waste of time! I agree!! So now they're going to add this week comings votes with last weeks votes right?
So does that mean that the same 3 will be in the bottom, or that it's anyones game still??:

I think they could have atleast told us who would have been voted off.... (I hope Carmen!!!!)

Jen
#80 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 08:31 PM

Quote:
What is Simon's problem ? He's such a B*tch ! That is getting really old as well.
Hey, c'mon, Simon is one of the good guys, remember?
#81 of 310 Old 04-03-2003, 09:26 PM

I admit that I'm prejudiced, because I am a law student, and that's what Kim Locke wants to do, and I'm bigger than she is, but I have to say, she seems to be the only one who is really improving from show to show. (I only caught the very end of the country show, so I don't know if this held true for that episode.)

Last season, the judges mentioned how they didn't even remember Kelly at first--the key for her was her adaptability and improvement.

Of course there's no way for Kim L to win, but I can dream.
#82 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 03:26 PM

Okay. I was at kindergarten round-up last night and my husband's stab at setting the VCR while we were on our way out the door failed. Dumb-butt!

I was relying on you guys to tell me what happened!! There was a show last night, right?
#83 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 03:40 PM

It was a good show. Pretty uneventful. Theme was #1 hits of the last 40 years. I saw everyone but Carmen and Trenyce (ds trying to fall asleep -- doesn't he know he has to wait until after the show??) THe only I thought did not do well was Kim C. I also thought Clay's performance was not his best but the judges loved it.
#84 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

KC and Carmine were horrible.. worse then they normally are. DH and I cringed when they started "singing". Ruben was awesome. I was happy to see Ruben out of his 205 shirts and into some smart looking clothes. Go Ruben!
#85 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 04:55 PM

Ruben's okay, but am I the only one who's bored with him? I thought the song he sang last night was mediocre. I couldn't believe Simon said they could have recorded it and it would have been a #1 hit! HARDLY!
I missed Clay's performance, but saw everyone elses. So, Simon was nicer to Clay this time than last time??
I think I like Clay so much because his singing is usually flawless (perfect pitch and all) and also because he isn't the typical "cute guy."
#86 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 04:59 PM

I forgot about the show too until halfway through. I saw Carmen, Trenyce, and Ruben perform. I liked Trenyce and Ruben alot but I always do. Carmen stunk it up more than usual.

I hate that I missed Clay. I agree Marcy74, that's why I love Clay too!

I feel the same way that you all do about Josh the Marine. I'm sorry but he can only sing one type of song and that is country-ish rock. Everything else he sucks at. I HATE that he has never been in the bottom three and Kimberly Locke and Trenyce have! He desired to have been in the bottom three last week with his weak rendition of Celebrate.

I'm wondering when Simon is going to ever be in a good mood but I must admit that he's my favorite judge. I hate that Paula never give constructive advice. I wouldn't take anything she said with more than a grain of salt because she's just too durn nice. And Randy just annoys me with his "dawg!" and "dude!" LOL

Kylix
#87 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 05:09 PM

Kylix- I agree totally about Josh. Why the heck isn't he in the bottom three?!?

Quote:
I'm wondering when Simon is going to ever be in a good mood but I must admit that he's my favorite judge. I hate that Paula never give constructive advice. I wouldn't take anything she said with more than a grain of salt because she's just too durn nice. And Randy just annoys me with his "dawg!" and "dude!" LOL
Amen sister! I hate that Dawg crap! And what's the point in being a judge if you never constructively criticize? Sometimes I think her only purpose is to balance out Simon.
#88 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 06:23 PM

I'm sooo happy...I think that with that performance Carmen will finally be voted off! Man she stunk!:Puke (hey I like these new smilies!)

I thought Simon was in a rare good mood last night, and I actually agreed with everything he said ....

I also agree with you guys about Paula....although last night she seemed to be more constructive about it....
I really liked Lionel Richie (sp?) as a guest judge....he actually gave feedback, not like previous people who just blow smoke and happy thought up the singers butts...

I liked Clay's performance alot...dh didn't, but then dh doesn't really like any of them :

I wonder what next week's theme will be

Jen
#89 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I agree totally about Josh. Why the heck isn't he in the bottom three?!?
Because he's a Marine, and it would be treasonous not to vote for him.

I thought last night's show was a dud. The highlights for me were when Simon said he didn't want to kiss Paula, and when he criticized Lionel Ritchie and they almost went at it, although Marg thinks that part was pretend.
#90 of 310 Old 04-09-2003, 10:38 PM

Um...is there something going on between Carmen and Clay??? I sure as hell hope not. Clay is one of my favs.They were totally hugging it up tonight during "All Night Long" and this hasn't been the first time I"ve seen them all lovey dovey.

Can't wait to see who goes tonight!

Kylix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page