American Idol- Who's Your Pick? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 310 Old 04-16-2003, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm gonna have to stop watching this show if carmen stays another week. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 310 Old 04-16-2003, 11:19 PM

How could she possibly have won???? DH says it's because she's hotter. Sigh.

I was soooo sure she was outa there, I'm in shock she made it.
#123 of 310 Old 04-16-2003, 11:21 PM

Yep folks, she's still around. HOW??????????? I could tell at the very end she seemed almost embarassed to still be there. She knows she doesn't belong there. That goat quivering has got to go!!!

I agreed with Simon when he said that the Kim Locke was the only one who'd been in the bottom three that has came back and redeemed herself and could still possibly win the competition.

Next week the bottom three had better be Carmen, Trenyce and Josh.

It's gonna be a tough choice between Ruben, Kim and Clay. Can't wait to see what happens.

lisa

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#124 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 03:36 AM

So Carmen's still around? Who got the boot?

As you can tell, I didn't get a chance to watch tonight

Kylix
#125 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Kimberly Caldwell is gone. Oh, how I wish it had been Carmen. Doggone, if she doesn't get the boot next, I will really be PO'd.
#126 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OhMel
How could she possibly have won???? DH says it's because she's hotter. Sigh
I don't think she is particularly hot. She has that round faced little girl look, and her lips are just annoying. I thought that Kim C. was hotter than Carmen, but then what do I know. My husband doesn't think she's hot either, but his complaint is that she is too skinny, which I don't think is accurate.

I thought her outfit last night was downright goofy.
#127 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lucky One
That goat quivering has got to go!!!
Baaaaaahhhh! Baaaaahhhh!
#128 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 10:11 AM

I keep missing Clay's performances! My DS was having a bad night Tuesday and I only got to see Carmen, Josh and a few others.
I can't believe Josh stayed safe. I think he is the worst singer on the show by far. He's also too nervous when he sings and his facial expressions are too forced.
However, I have to agree with Kylix (aka Brittany) that Clay is dreamy! I'm so glad Simon told him to cool it with the lovey-dovey stuff, cause he's so much more appealing now.
Personally, I think Trenyce should have gone home last night.
#129 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 02:47 PM

i think I better stop saying goodbye to Carmen...cause she's not going anywhere!! Why oh why oh why????:
I too will have to stop watching if she stays on much longer!!!
ok I wouldn't be able to do that....but still....

Jen
#130 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 04:35 PM

ok, IMO

Josh the country non-pop idol is still in the competition cos he is a good ol' marine, and it would be non-patriotic to boot him out, even though he should DEFINITELY be gone by now. Makes me mad.

And Carmen is still hanging on because she is the only teen, so all the teeny boppers are voting for her. Also, she has that "look" that is very commercial (as Simon said).

One last thing, what was with Kim C's hair last night? She went backcombing crazy!!!! Very weird.
#131 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 04:48 PM

I have a night class on Wednesdays, so I don't get to see the results - who was in the bottom three?

Kim Locke is so amazing- her performance last night blew me away.

Carmen's goat bleating must be stopped!!!!

Josh- WTF??!? Was I the only one who thought he was massively off key?

Kylix, we are waiting for the pics.
#132 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 05:38 PM

It was Kim C., Carmen and Trenyce.

Of course you know that Kim C. was the one booted off.
#133 of 310 Old 04-17-2003, 07:01 PM

Dh said that Kim C was wearing a see-through top and that the camera would barely show her from the neck down. I didn't get to watch. Is that true, or was he just talking in his sleep?
#134 of 310 Old 04-19-2003, 08:57 PM

Josh the country non-pop idol is still in the competition cos he is a good ol' marine, and it would be non-patriotic to boot him out, even though he should DEFINITELY be gone by now. Makes me mad.

ITA
#135 of 310 Old 04-20-2003, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marcy74
I can't believe Josh stayed safe. I think he is the worst singer on the show by far.
I know a some people who really think he is good--this is on another board I post on, though. Maybe his marine status is helping him, but I definitely think that Josh is better than Carmen, who is by far the worst. I think everyone in the state of Utah who watches the show is voting for her.
#136 of 310 Old 04-21-2003, 01:35 AM

Just for the record, I'm in Utah and NOT voting for Carmen. I just caught the end of the results show by accident last week, and was so surprised that she was still there! I actually started watching it because of all the media hype they're running about it here. I dont really have a preference who wins, but I definitely don't think it should be her! (Isn't that so rude?)

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#137 of 310 Old 04-21-2003, 02:53 AM

Every week i ask dh how Carmen is STILL there... She sucks.. ALOT!!! SHEESH!!! My sister is a voice major.. I know what singing is supposed to sound like.. That ain't it.. If the sheep are turning heads, and coming home... You did it WRONG!!!!

Warm Squishies...

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#138 of 310 Old 04-21-2003, 03:03 AM

You guys are going to have to tell me what happened on American Idol this week...I officially have started TV turn off week. I made a colorful sign and put it up on my tv to stop myself from turning it on and everything

I kind of hope Carmen doesn't go home this week because I want to see her farewell...:LOL

Kylix
#139 of 310 Old 04-22-2003, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pynki
Every week i ask dh how Carmen is STILL there... She sucks.. ALOT!!! SHEESH!!! My sister is a voice major.. I know what singing is supposed to sound like.. That ain't it.. If the sheep are turning heads, and coming home... You did it WRONG!!!!
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! Although I can kinda see her in a shepardess costume, with a staff . . .
#140 of 310 Old 04-22-2003, 12:12 PM

Kylix, last night they just sang songs, no feedback from the judges. I thought Clay and Ruben were the only ones worth listening too, and even then I thought Clay blew Ruben out of the water (but we all know where my loyalties lie.)
I hadn't seen the first few episodes, so I missed what Clay looked like before his big make-over. I kinda liked him better before. I think he'd look so much better with a kind of Sid Vicious look, rather than the Gap-boy look he's going for now. Of course, Sid Vicious doesn't match Clay's singing style, but who cares. He has a punk face and so I think he should dress punk. At least a little bit anyway. I didn't know that he worked with children with special needs. That makes me like him even more!
The others were just so-so.
#141 of 310 Old 04-22-2003, 04:59 PM

The question:

Was Carmen really singing last night? I was watching reallllly hard and I don't think her mouth moving matched the sound.

And what was with the whole "I'm not telllllling" garbage when she was asked about her and Clay? Come ON. Just answer the question!!!
#142 of 310 Old 04-22-2003, 05:35 PM

Oh I know! Why the big secret? I think it's cause there really isn't anything going on, that Clay's gay but wants to keep his female fans thinking that they have a chance with him. Sells more albums, commercial air-time. KWIM?

Disclaimer- not that there's anything at all wrong with Clay being a homosexual. (Just means that my fantasy of him coming to my home town and dragging me away to sing to me are a little less likely. )
#143 of 310 Old 04-22-2003, 07:58 PM

Well, I heard Carmen and the cowboy, and then I decided that turning your tv off week wasn't such a bad idea...

(in a metaphoric way of speaking. I'll be there tonite of course. I dislike most of the contestants so much that I only enjoy the show when I'm being supported in my snickering by Simon)

So what's up with the cowboy anyway? A lot of you say he can't sing. I'll tell a secret now (not secret for whoever's been at a birthday party with me), namely I can't sing at all. I know two tones: high and low. By approximation. I use them at random. I can't judge singing well either. To me, Carmen sounds atrocious, and some others drop notes too. But other than that, I don't feel that any of them can't sing (because those are all gone).

But hte cowboy sounds just like I imagine people would like their singing cowboys to sound, so in a Nietzschean way he's a perfect candidate. I just think that singing cowboys suck, especially if they're also military guys who are trashing the precious airwaves instead of faraway countries (note: sarcastic comment. I'm against any trashing of countries).

Is he really a bad singer? Or just a bad type with an ugly face and an annoying attitude? But coincidentally a type beloved in this country (see the weird Garth Brooks phenomenon)? If he can't sing, I apologize for my naiveness and tonedeafness. But if it's the type that's bad... well, we DO know we're kind of a minority here... No wonder America loves him :
#144 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 12:59 AM

Well, poop, I missed it! I did manage to catch both Trenyce and Clay, and I thought they were both good. I thought Trenyce was much better than she has been the past few times, kind of like she was when I started liking her.

So was Carmen terrible?

Simonee, here's my opinion FWIW. I think that Josh isn't that bad, honestly. When I first heard him sing where they picked the two candidates to advance, I was in favor of him going on. He had a clear, strong voice, good intonation and even though it isn't a spectacular voice, I thought he was worthy of being in the competition. A lot of the singers in his group didn't sound like the were singing so much as shouting, and Josh was like one of the only ones who got up and sang the song like it should have been sung, which earned him positive commentary from Randy. One thing I actually like is that he doesn't overdue it with the vibrato, but actually it seems like he just hasn't mastered vibrato very well yet--kind of like me. Better that then some of this overdone bird warbling, vocal cord stuff though. Eek.

When Josh sang Celebration, he was just plain awful--not musical at all, no energy, technically poor in the singing, I thought. When he sang the country song, I thought his performance was fun, but from a singing standpoint he seemed to have a few problems. He ran around too much so he was breathless, missed one of the notes from what it sounded like to me, and sounded out of tune during parts of it, but I will admit that I don't know the song very well.

I liked the way Josh did Piano Man because in some ways it sounded the way that Billy Joel does it, like he was deliberately emulating him, but then it would sound like a country performance. Does he have a great voice? No, but then it seems like a lot of pop singers don't. I guess the idol types are the ones you pay only to hear them perform and you don't care about their other talents. Billy Joel was talking about how he became successful, and he was saying that he was competent at what he did, singing in tune, playing an instrument, composing, arranging and performing, I think those were the things he listed. If you are only going to sing you need to have a great voice and stage presence, I guess.

Of course, I guess it's all in the ear of the beholder, huh? I really like Trenyce's voice, but I know some others don't.
#145 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marcy74
Oh I know! Why the big secret? I think it's cause there really isn't anything going on, that Clay's gay but wants to keep his female fans thinking that they have a chance with him. Sells more albums, commercial air-time. KWIM?

Disclaimer- not that there's anything at all wrong with Clay being a homosexual. (Just means that my fantasy of him coming to my home town and dragging me away to sing to me are a little less likely. )
Now, see, I'd rather think he was gay and that I could be his hag. :LOL I like him, but I'm not attracted to him.
#146 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stacymom
Just for the record, I'm in Utah and NOT voting for Carmen.
Yippee! So not everyone.

I actually said that because I know a mom who lives in Utah and was voting for her because she wanted her to do well. But that was at the very beginning, so she may have come around.
#147 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 03:11 AM

Oh my goodness, ignore my last post about Josh. He was painful to listen to tonight! But I had to yell at Randy when he said that Josh was sharp throughout the whole song--I swear he was flat part of the time.

I'm actually still watching, but I haven't been too thrilled with any of the performances. I didn't like Trenyce's performance, Kim's, Clay's and Ruben's were fine. Maybe I just don't like Diane Warren songs, I don't know.

I've decided that Carmen doesn't sound like a goat--she's like Woody Woodpecker. I thought it was funny when she said that she believes that she could very well win this competition. I was yelling at the tv, "No! no, you can't, you don't sound good!" I don't think she heard me, though.
#148 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 03:27 AM

Whaddyall think? Amywillo had the last 4 posts here. Does she need a life or what?

Amywillo, thanks for the Josh assessment. And I take my words about not understanding what's so bad about his singing back ~ I had forgotten all about celebration :LOL
And tonight confirmed this, of course. He was awful. Even worse than Carmen. With sooo much more chin.

Once again, overall I agreed with Simon. I used to really like Trenyce, but she's just not cutting it anymore. Esp now that Kim L is improving every single week.

I just get so grossed out by Clay's quivering eyelids. He looks like he always has little sleep grains in the corners of his eyes

I think the advertisers' favorite demographic, ie adolescent white suburban males, is what keeps Carmen in. Not THAT many people in Utah after all.

Ruben is always good, though I've heard him so much now that my thoughts start to drift when he sings. Like how bad he would flatten his partner in bed I mean, he's huge. Next to Clay or Trenyce he looks like Shaquille O'Neal with 5" of padding all around!
#149 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonee
Whaddyall think? Amywillo had the last 4 posts here. Does she need a life or what? !
Oh my goodness, tell me about it! But, doggone it, it is fun to be able to run people down and not have it really matter. This show appeals to my dark side, I guess. As soon as Carmen came on, my husband said, "Oh, there she is the one you hate!" Then when the judges were slamming her, he said, "Does that make you happy?" I was giggling at that point, but then I said I did feel bad for her. I always hate when they are hurt and look like they might cry. She seemed to take it all in stride, though.

I remember my mom used to call me up to complain about the news anchor's hair on the local news. "Did you watch the news tonight? I don't know what they are doing to Renee Pouissant's hair, but it looked terrible tonight." My sisters and I used to get angry with her that she was judgmental and made mean comments, but after awhile I figured that is part of the fun of watching tv.
#150 of 310 Old 04-23-2003, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by simonee
Ruben is always good, though I've heard him so much now that my thoughts start to drift when he sings. Like how bad he would flatten his partner in bed I mean, he's huge. Next to Clay or Trenyce he looks like Shaquille O'Neal with 5" of padding all around!
Well, his partner could be on top, but that is one heck of a straddle, eh? Between my husband's girth and my fat legs, my knees barely touch the bed as it is. OK, too much information, I know.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page