Raising Your Spirited Child - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-23-2001, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for others who have read Raising Your Spirited Child. If you did how has the book helped you? I'll be back to talk more about the book...
#2 of 8 Old 11-23-2001, 12:01 PM

Yep,It was a lifesaver!My now 13 yo son is the typical "spirited" child.It kept me from Ritalin,& kept me from labeling him wrongly.
I did not read it until he was older & wish I had it earlier.We went through many rough times,he is so sensitive physically & emotionally.He would not wear a coat-to hot,his socks had to be on just so,he would cry easily.
A great book!

::
momma to 4
#3 of 8 Old 11-23-2001, 12:46 PM

I managed to read most of it before it had to be back to the place that I borrowed it from. Some of it was really incredible and insightful. I addition to helping me understand my sone better, it also helped me to understand my husband. As it turns out we have a whole house full of really spirited people! The night that I read the section about introverts and extroverts I was stunned. I left the book on my husbands desk with the chapter marked off and a note reading "this could have been written about us!". As for my son it was really nice to have someone put into words what I never really could. The concept that yes at times life is difficult with him, he is not like most other children, but the same things that make life harder with him are the things that make him the most incredible child I have ever known. I will be interested to here what other people have to say about this book.
#4 of 8 Old 11-23-2001, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I read an autographed copy of _Raising Your Spirited Child_ by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. I was delightfully surprised to learn that the author lives in a Minneapolis suburb (in Minnesota) & that she did research for this book through ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education - a program that only exsists in Minnesota & has been around for 25 yrs). I was thrilled to learn that through ECFE there are Raising Your Spirited Child - Positive Parenting Seminars.
I will be attending a seminar titled "Intensity - Diffusing Strong Reactions" in Dec & another seminar titled "Persistence - Choosing Your Battles" in Jan.

For those who are interested there is a support group for parents of Spirited Kids who use Attachment Parenting methods, go to:
http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/AP-SpiritedKids
#5 of 8 Old 12-07-2001, 01:44 AM

I don't really like her books. I think her thing about introverts and extroverts has some value, but no body is all one way all of the time and slapping those labels on just seems too simplistic to me.
#6 of 8 Old 12-08-2001, 12:30 AM

I briefly picked up the book and flipped through it at the bookstore once but had to put it down when DD started to unshelve dozens of books at a time. Would one of you Mamas who have read it be willing to give me an overview? I am looking for some helpfull advice in dealing with an incredibly intelligent (yeah, I know that all parents say that) very strong willed and emotional 2.5 year old. In fact, that could describe all of us in our family, which only contributes to the civil unrest under our roof. Is this book something that might give guidance for my situation or is there a more suitable volume you would recommend?
#7 of 8 Old 12-08-2001, 01:06 AM

Check on Barnes & Nobles web site ,do a search for it & it will give you an overview.I found it helpful for my child,I wished I had read it when he was younger.
She probably has a web site herself-Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

::
momma to 4
#8 of 8 Old 12-08-2001, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mary Sheedy Krucinka has a website:
http://www.parentchildhelp.com/home.htm

An article to read that will be helpful:
http://www.sbpep.org/spirart1.htm

Hope that helps

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page